Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Frank Turner - No Man’s Land (August 16, 2019) Album • Page 12

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sean Murphy, Jul 3, 2019.

1. abw123

Trusted

I'm excited, seeing him on Friday, thanks for the info

johnnyferris likes this.
  2. MannyDiller

Here's the version of "Be More Kind" that he's playing at these shows

sonder and Brother Beck like this.
  3. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I’ll take the original, but it’s always interesting hearing a new arrangement.

4. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  5. abw123

Trusted

Saw him on Friday, it was a good show but certainly not the same experience as a normal FT show......very subdued. I missed the energy. But it was cool to do something different.

A few of the new arrangements totally changed the song, notably Ballad of Me and My Friends, which I sorta hated.

He was smart to play the new songs separately, in their own set. I just don't see most of them ever really fitting in with his other stuff. I do enjoy Lioness and Sister Rosetta.

The Be More Kind songs have grown on me, I hate to admit.

Looking forward to him coming back and doing a normal punk show soon.

6. abw123

Trusted

He was wise to add Photosynthesis and I Still Believe back into the end of the set (those songs were not getting played at the first shows of the tour) and delete The Lifeboat and a few others. The crowd was ready for some "hits" and energy at the end after 2.5 hours of sitting.

I didn't love the storytelling part in this case either - he tried to make it a loose "concept show" where the songs showed his chronological progression in relationships - sort of an interesting idea I guess - but pretty poorly executed, and felt heavy handed to me. "At this point my girlfriend was mad at me, here is a song about that! Next up, I fell in love again, here's a song about that!". Just not very well done and not exactly super interesting stories. I have seen him tell better stories at acoustic shows in the past where he wasn't stuck with a concept he was trying to shoehorn in.

This is nitpicking. It was still highly enjoyable overall. Frank is such a likeable guy on stage.

7. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

The energy Frank was bringing to his albums was certainly missed with BMK and NML.

However, his live shows always made up for it. Hearing it being a little bit more subdued kinda stinks.

8. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

I just got back from the St. Pete show, and I thought it was incredible. There was definitely a different energy with it being mostly unplugged/storytellers style as opposed to his typical show, but it was one of the best concerts I’ve ever been to.

Brother Beck and johnnyferris like this.
  9. JimmyIymmiJ

ZooZooChaCha and Brother Beck like this.
  10. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

11. JimmyIymmiJ Dec 13, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 13, 2019)
    JimmyIymmiJ

He posted a link to it on Twitter today. Apparently it’s the version he recorded for Be More Kind.

Brother Beck likes this.
  12. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Nice. Thank you for sharing.

13. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

14. Kuri44

Lex, JaytotheGee and BigMouth like this.
  15. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

Frank Turner is releasing a live album next Friday. Should be pretty decent.

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  16. johnnyferris

I'm pretty excited for it. It's from one of the stripped down shows he did last year. I was hoping one of the shows would get released because I really enjoyed the versions of the songs he did.

Also, quite bummed that Lost Evenings will be getting postponed/canceled. I was really looking forward to being back in Berlin

17. JimmyIymmiJ

I was at the St. Pete stop for that tour last year, and it was incredible. One of my favorite concert experiences. I was hoping at the time that he would do this. Already pre-ordered mine.

18. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

this unplugged album is great. the top reason that i'll never give up on frank completely even if i don't enjoy newer music, the dude puts on an absolutely A+ live show.

Joe4th and AFoolsGlory like this.
  19. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Absolutely right. His solo tour that he was in the middle of when this all started was absolutely incredible. You can really tell how passionate he is about live music in general, he really cares about the crowd. Lot more than can be said for a lot of bands.

Sean Murphy likes this.
  20. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

he's not just there to put on a show, he really seems to enjoy engaging with people, like, he could play the same 20 song set every night of the tour, but no two shows would be the same, if that makes sense.

Joe4th and AFoolsGlory like this.
  21. johnnyferris

I had a great time at this tour. Frank and the Sleeping Souls makes it quite easy on deciding on whether or not to go to a show of theirs.

The mix on this is great and I’m glad he’s Redemption as a song he should be playing live more.

22. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

I'm gutted. I missed the show that the recording took place at. It was either Frank or The Menzingers. I'd seen Frank half a dozen times but never The Menzingers, so I went there instead. Would have been great to get a recording of a show I was at.

23. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I have not liked his last 2 albums but my god his live show is a MUST ATTEND any time he comes to Boston (which is usually 5 times a year).

johnnyferris and AFoolsGlory like this.
  24. BenSmith94

Trusted

Yeah, his live shows are incredible. Seen him twice and both times he's been superb.

25. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Assuming it’s not a tour, and would be surprised if its another album. Maybe news about the postponed Lost Evenings festival? Either way, worth checking back on tomorrow.