Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Frank Turner - No Man’s Land (August 16, 2019) Album • Page 10

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sean Murphy, Jul 3, 2019.

1. abw123

Trusted

Negative Songs for Positive People

2. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I wonder if having The Sleeping Souls Record with him in the studio would have helped add a comfort level, or willingness to push back/add to Frank’s ideas.

Carrow likes this.
  3. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Also, Eye of the Day reminds me of Sailor’s Boots

4. abw123

Trusted

I like Sister Rosetta, The Lioness, Graveyard, Dora Hand, and Rosemary Jane

Kassiani may be the worst FT song ever recorded and Nica isn't far behind

5. Nica is probably my favourite just because it takes the most risks.

6. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

I like Nica. I get Ben Folds vibes from it.

7. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Nica is the song I like the least by far. I can appreciate him trying something new though.

Eye of the Day and Rosemary Jane are my favourites.

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  8. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i actually really enjoyed nica haha it maybe was the one positive takeaway i had

9. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Finally pressing play. So far this isn’t offensive bad but it is dull as hell. Like he chose the most mundane sounds of his discography and dumbed his writing down.

10. abw123

Trusted

He tweeted today that this was album was actually done BEFORE Be More Kind.

Hopefully that means he's been writing new (better?) songs and we'll get something new in 2020 or 2021.

I certainly don't think the man is out of things to say. I hope not.

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  11. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

My fear is he thinks he is.

Sean Murphy likes this.
  12. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  13. Mibabalou

MUFC / NYRB Prestigious

14. Lex

the horizon is my home

How did he even release this? Only a few songs do anything for me. He's a great storyteller, but he failed in making me feel much of anything towards these historical figures.
    I still can't figure out what happened to him...

15. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Little clarification on the timeline

16. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

It’s not the concept of a man writing songs about women that’s the problem, it’s that the songs aren’t good.

Sean Murphy and irthesteve like this.
  17. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Those tweets aren't really saying anything about people who just dislike the songs though, they're specifically talking about the people who are mad about the concept of the project and saying he shouldn't have even tried.

18. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I know, I'm expressing my disagreement with the negative reviews she is responding to.

I don't have an issue with him doing this project as a man. That is fine to me. A man highlighting the successes of women isn't the worst thing about this album, but my main issue is the songs suck and he didn't execute well at all.

SpyKi likes this.
  19. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I don't think it's a concept that no man should attempt, or even that no man could pull off. But Frank Turner would not have been my first nominee to make an album like this, if we're being honest.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  20. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Cheers Frank

21. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I wonder how many people actually checked out the backstories to these songs. It makes me appreciate the songs more, like Perfect Wife. I liked it on first listen musically, but it’s creepy good.

22. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I have admittedly not listened to the podcast series yet, where I assume he delves into the history behind each song, but, IMO no amount of interesting backstory can make a bad song better. The subject matter/historical significance is not what is consistently being called into question here. If anything, the history lesson he gives would make me want to seek out more research on the topic aside from his songs. I doubt anything in the podcasts are going to make me actively want to return to this album, but, again, I haven't listened yet.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  23. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

That is also exactly how I feel. It isn't the content that is my issue, it is the songs themselves. If this were just a podcast I think there would have been a much better reaction across the board.

24. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Yeah, the songs need to stand on their own. They don't, which is why this album is bad.

25. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I’ve listened to each podcast episode. This songs are still mostly bland.