Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Frank Turner - No Man’s Land (August 16, 2019) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sean Murphy, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Sean Murphy Jul 3, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 3, 2019)
    Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

1. Jinny Bingham’s Ghost
    2. Sister Rosetta
    3. I Believed You, William Blake
    4. Nica
    5. A Perfect Wife
    6. Silent Key
    7. Eye of the Day
    8. The Death of Dora Hand
    9. The Graveyard of the Outcast Dead
    10. The Lioness
    11. The Hymn of Kassiani
    12. Rescue Annie
    13. Rosemary Jane

Pre-Order
    Frank Turner - Official Store

First single - “Sister Rosetta”

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  2. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

And here!

3. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I don’t love it. I also don’t hate it. Yay?

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  4. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I really don't want to jump out of the gate with negativity so I'm going to try to reserve myself, but my biggest fear is that this whole album is just going to feel super forced. This first single just plays like he wrote down a list of facts/trivia about her and sang them.

I guess my solace is that we know this is something he's been working on for at least 3 years, and isn't something he just tossed together in the year since BMK.

SpyKi likes this.
  5. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I felt pretty much the same. It seems like he read a book about her and then summarized it in song form. The song wasn’t overly much of anything. Basic and simple. Chorus was slightly catchy, but after like 7 albums I’ve heard him do this sound much, much better.

I’m hoping more songs like Silent Key where he sort of “fictionalizes” to an extent a real person in a real event. I think that worked well.

.K. likes this.
  6. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I wonder if we will get a new version of SIlent Key different than the album version and songbook version.

7. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

All I want is a true follow up to Positive Songs.

CAC3, maryp1603 and Donnie Ruth like this.
  8. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

D027A93D-54F6-4D32-A513-E184AB293530.jpeg

.K. and Sean Murphy like this.
  9. danielm123

Trusted

I enjoy the new song quite a bit, but I also enjoyed BMK way more than most on here

10. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I liked (more of) BMK than most too.Sister Rosetta still feel this was a really safe song though, and it doesn’t scream single. It is respectful though and honours her legacy/influence though. I will say I was hope he pushes some boundaries on this album, like I’m guessing may of the women in these songs have.

I am glad he’s willing to include a new version Silent Key, because I feel that is what I think about when he talked about this project.

11. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

seeing Catherine Mark's name on this album got me hyped, I really hope this album can deliver some GOOD songs.

12. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

This song is fine but nothing special. Seems like this album will have a better sound than the last and the theme is pretty cool if he can execute it properly

13. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Interested in the concept but not sure he’s the right type of songwriter to pull it off.

Carrow likes this.
  14. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Definitely interested and excited, but Sister Rosetta isn't all that great

15. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

A pleasant, easy song to listen to. The podcast was really great. He definitely has a lot of passion and energy for this album and the subject matter.

16. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I think it's a lot cooler that he's doing the podcasts per song - i almost feel like, he could have done just that and I might have enjoyed the project more, because now there's a chance I hate the songs and sour on the whole project lol

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  17. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

I like Sister Rosetta just fine, but it’s definitely a bit underwhelming as the lead single for a record. If it was a b-side or something I’d probably be cool with it, but eh....

.K. likes this.
  18. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

What are your thoughts on the original version of Silent Key?

I like the song musically and the story telling angle he took. It gave me a lot of confidence when this No Man’s Land project was announced. I thought he’d be the right guy to do it if anyone once we learned more.

Billie Joe and i’m guessing the rest of the guys in Green Day are also doing a book concept along similar lines too. I say similar lines until we see or can read the end products, and know for ourselves.

19. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I personally love Silent Key, it's one of the only songs on PS4NP I enjoy

20. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Song for Josh, The Next Storm, Silent Key, Love Forty Down (either version), and Get Better (acoustic) are probably my favourites from that album.

I wonder if the new Silent Key will have a new female vocal section (that Esmé did PS4NP).

21. Barcara

Regular

Demons is my fave PS4NP tune and it's not even close.

22. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

He said every Wednesday there will be a new podcast so I’m wondering if he’s doing a new song each week leading up to it?

23. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

thats a lot of pre-release releases

24. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

The only songs from PSFNP that I am not crazy about are "The Angel Islington" and "Out of Breath". Aside from those two the whole thing is fantastic.

Plus that makes room for "Least of All Young Caroline" and "Little Aphrodite"!

Barcara likes this.
  25. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

“It’s coming out August 16th, we released one song and one podcast today and we’re gonna do one a week from now on so every Wednesday check it out” is the quote.

I’m hoping just a podcast a week which seems most logical. It’s a good way to hype it up, honestly a very cool way.

I don’t need 6 songs before lol.

.K. likes this.