Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Frank Turner / Lucero / The Menzingers / The Homeless Gospel Choir Tour • Page 5

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by JaytotheGee, Jan 29, 2018.

1. timcsheehan

Regular

in dallas for work and have the night off. happened to catch on the menzos instagram that the tour is in town. good bye per diem, hello fun.

2. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

LA show was incredible. My first FT show and he did not disappoint. Disappointed the Menzingers didn’t get a longer set, but still a good time nonetheless

MexicanGuitars likes this.
  3. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Everything I’ve heard about Lucero playing their unreleased album is that they should be on before the Menz. A group of my friends that were at the Detroit show said people walked out during the Lucero set.

4. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Mezingers literally have 3x the Spotify monthly listeners. It’s pretty bullshit they’re playing first.

5. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Whole legacy factor is usually dumb in these cases but I get it

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  6. CstSnow

Regular Supporter

Yeah I love Lucero, and some of the new songs seem like they are pretty great. But this seems like such a wasted opportunity, playing a "hits" set would do so much for them new fan wise specifically on this tour. The Frank Turner, Menzingers fan base should/would love them but are probably being turned off by what is a not so great set.

TJ Wells likes this.
  7. So generally what time of night have The Menzingers been playing?

8. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

7:40

popdisaster00 likes this.
  9. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

I think Chi is gonna be 6:40

10. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Make sure it’s not an early show, 6:40-7:10 at my date

popdisaster00 likes this.
  11. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

Heading to this tonight. Any idea what time frank goes on typically?

12. TMS2787

Trusted

Looking forward to tomorrow. Frank in-store and the full shoe. Gonna be a good day.

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  13. MexicanGuitars

Frank said Chicago was show of the year. It was actually insane seeing 3k people at his show, the room was so loud at several points.

Lucero actually grew on me over the course of the set to the point where I’ll probably check out their catalogue. Admire the don’t care attitude of playing their unreleased new album in full.

Menz were dope of course. Was super weird not having a massive pit for them, but people all over had their merch and were singing along. Also quite a few people didn’t know the show got moved up and were pissed they missed em

14. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

Hoping Frank will announce the openers the for 2nd leg soon. Wish The Menzingers were opening, but doubt they'd do another leg.

15. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

That Chicago show last night was my favorite show of the year thus far. Absolutely phenomenal.

16. TMS2787

Trusted

Today was a ton of fun.

Frank had an acoustic in-store in a pretty small record store in Akron (Fairlawn). Started at 4:00 PM and I was in line by 12:30 PM. I think they crammed close to 80 people in the small record store that’s supposse to “safely” fit around 35. Frank played a brand new song he said he had just wrote about Sister Rosetta Tharp. He mentioned how she should be in the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame because he didn’t know she got in this year. I hate to be the guy who yells to the artist playing but I said: “She got in this year!” And he said something like: “Fuck! Now the end of the song is ruined. Oh well, I still like it.” He signed, chatted and took pictures with everyone after. The set was 6 songs and 25 minutes. It was very cool to have an in-store if this size in our area since we don’t seem to get many of these type of things here.

Actual show was also fun.

The Menzingers where great, I’m glad they got 9 in! I would have loved if they had a longer set but I’ll take whatever I can get from them at anytime.

Lucero was pretty good but I’m still scratching my head at the decision they made to play an album that hasn’t been released yet. I’m not a guy to complain or act like I know what a band should play because it’s their music and it’s their choice and people should be content with it. But I feel like not knowing an album / song / material because you didn’t take the time to listen to it before you went to see them - that’s on the person and I don’t think in that case the person could be like “well they played shit I didn’t know”. Tonight and I’d assume the whole tour was just a weird set for them. The crowd wasn’t into it, there was a lot of talking. I imagine if you’re a die-hard Lucero fan who’s seen them countless times and seen pretty much everything live that this was a real treat - to hear the new whole in its duration but for most people… it wasn’t. Lol. They had to play the third song twice and they even cut one of the songs out. lol. But some of the stuff did sound really solid.

Frank and the band where awesome, I’m a casual fan so I didn’t know a lot of what they played so the 110 minute set did seem a bit long in parts (that’s my problem / fault) but he and the band where on from the jump. It was a quality set. Before this afternoon I had only seen him live once before in the winter of 2010, so it’s been a long time and I’m glad I finally got around to it.

17. CTFFEMT93

Regular

I’m about three weeks late, but Frank’s show in NYC was spectacular. Also met a really cute irish girl vis tinder and brought her to the show and scored a second date with her. Thanks frank!

18. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Last night was very good!

Menz set was a weird choice of songs for a 30 minute set, but obviously just not enough time. Lucero bored me to death mostly but some of it was good. Frank was incredible!

19. MexicanGuitars

V happy we got Midwestern States

20. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

We did too which is one of the songs I feel like they shouldn't have played lol

21. MexicanGuitars

“I knooooow somewhere in Ohioooooo”

Makes sense

JaytotheGee likes this.
  22. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I was hoping they would change the lyric to Ohio there but they did not. Kept it Chicago.

JaytotheGee likes this.
  23. TMS2787

Trusted

Lucero did sound good but goddamn was it boring. I listened to the three or four songs that’s have released on Apple Music but overall… a good sound snoozefest. Also, I think they skipped one of the songs because Ben’s mic was cutting out and they played almost half of the third song and had to restart it after they fixed his mic.

24. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I'm glad Menz didn't try and squeeze Nice Things in there might actually be the first time I've seen them not play it