Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Frank Turner - Be More Kind (May 4, 2018) Album • Page 36

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by okayibelieveyou, Jan 28, 2018.

1. abw123

Trusted

Me too but I would just dork out and embarrass myself with stuff like, "Why did you leave We Shall Not Overcome off the album, that song rules??"

Brother Beck likes this.
  2. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

HA! Same here. I like to pretend I am cool enough where we could sit and chat and have an interesting convo, but I know in real life it would be me awkwardly gushing and Frank eventually getting uncomfortable and leaving.

3. In his new book, he talks about regretting leaving Balthazar Impresario off of EKMB, so... maybe he regrets We Shall Not Overcome just as much? Worth asking.

Brother Beck likes this.
  4. abw123

Trusted

The dude has some seriously great B-Sides

.K. and Brother Beck like this.
  5. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Would you recommend giving this a read?

6. I'm most of the way through, and definitely yes. I also really enjoyed his first book. His conversational tone is nice to read. He's a little defensive about some songs, and a just a touch egotistical about others, but you're reading a book he wrote about songs he wrote so... you know what you're in for.

Brother Beck likes this.
  7. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

That's the one that springs to mind for me as well. As much as I think EKMB is a great self contained little record, I do wonder where that song might have fit. I think the record is the perfect length, so just adding it in the middle might not work. Maybe instead of something like I Am Disappeared or One Foot Before The Other?

As others have said, amazing b-sides. I'm always disappointed that Nashville, Tennessee didn't make SIFTW. I know it's on the EP, but it's a shame it never made it to a record.

8. abw123

Trusted

Yeah Nashville and We Shall Not are probably my 2 favorite FT B-Sides ever

I would not be down with any EKMB tracklist that deletes I Am Disappeared !!!

9. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

"One Foot Before The Other" is the centerpiece of EKMB for me. It is the lynch-pin, the absolute most crucial song on the album.

10. abw123

Trusted

I like Balthasar fine but that one never jumped out at me as special or "how did this get left out"

Brother Beck likes this.
  11. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I have to agree - I think "Balthazar, Impresario" is awesome, but if I had to pick an essential b-side that should have made the cut I am going with "Wanderlust".

I forget "Wanderlust" isn't on the album proper. I feel like it fits better thematically than "Balthazar" as well, but honestly that could simply be because I like it so damn much and it makes me biased.

12. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Yeah I think the choice was probably made due to the theme of the record and the song just not quite fitting in with that. Maybe I haven't listened to The Second Three Years in a while, but I can't seem to remember Wanderlust. Going to have to go back to that one I think.

Brother Beck likes this.
  13. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

EKMB bsides are the best.

Song for Eva Mae, Wanderlust, Balthazhar, and Sailor’s Boots (sort of).

Brother Beck likes this.
  14. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Haven't even mentioned a few of the tracks from the Rock & Roll EP... Yeah, I am totally fine with an EKMB pushing 20 tracks. It is my favorite Frank record. Everything I love about him was just firing on all cylinders in an insane way at that time.

AFoolsGlory and .K. like this.
  15. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I love balthazar so much i have “always take the stage like its the last night of your life” tattooed on my leg haha

AFoolsGlory, .K. and Brother Beck like this.
  16. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Tape Deck Heart has some really good b sides too.

AFoolsGlory likes this.
  17. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

According to the podcast notes, if looks like the first new track for No Man’s Land will be released on Wednesday.

.K. likes this.
  18. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

And it’s shaping up to be Sister Rosetta!

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  19. JimmyIymmiJ Jul 2, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 2, 2019)
    JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

The podcast for Sister Rosetta is live. He plays an acoustic version of the song at the end, and says the track is available for streaming (it isn’t yet, but I’m sure it will be tomorrow).

EDIT: Song is available now. Looks like the setlist he played a while back is indeed the tracklist as most people had assumed, and the release date is August 16th.

.K. likes this.
  20. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

New thread time?!?!

.K. likes this.
  21. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Hmmm, Sister Rosetta is... not my fav

22. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I’m still worried people are going to judge him wrongly for the concept.

23. Snoblin Jul 2, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 2, 2019)
    Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

I think it all depends on how tastefully he executes it. It was always going to be difficult as a white man, but we’ll see how it goes.

24. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I don’t see how the white part factors in, but yes, people are going to need to see this a concept record paying tribute to women by a man. That’s what he is. If he was feeling inspired by these women and their stories then give it a try.

Sister Rosetta seems really safe, and I wasn’t sure if her musical influences would be prominent on the song.

I also wonder if it influenced his choice of producer, Catherine Marks, I believe. Maybe she could offer different feedback to Frank, that no producer from his previous discography could. Black Mile turned out really well production wise, so I hope No Man’s Land has some more dynamic songs too.

Sister Rosetta May work better in the context of an album too. I’ve listened to it once, so first impressions and final thoughts can change a lot sometimes. I happy for new Frank, so it’s not a judgement, just early thoughts.

25. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

It's a bit bland but I don't dislike it, lol.