Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Frank Turner - Be More Kind (May 4, 2018) Album • Page 35

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by okayibelieveyou, Jan 28, 2018.

1. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I do think Silent Key sucks though and is easily my least fav song on that album so hopefully these are better than that.

2. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Not everyone feels that way.

I’m sure the songs will be adjusted for whatever the story may be. It may not be a good example musically, but in a story telling sense more than anything.

3. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Very excited for some movement on this project. I cannot wait to hear this album.

"Silent Key" isn't my favorite Frank Turner song or anything, but it is a good song and its better than almost anything from Be More Kind.

4. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Silent Key is a historical song about a women, Christa McAuliffe, even featuring guest vocals by a woman as main character, Esmé Patterson. I’d think this song represents exactly what this project sounds like it’s about conceptually.

It’s probably good he’s releasing a new album soon so people can move on from
    Be More Kind criticism. I hope this new album sticks for more people. I’ve enjoyed Frank’s press interviews with BMK. I think there will also be some more great conversation about NML.

5. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

new thread time?

JimmyIymmiJ and .K. like this.
  6. BenSmith94

Trusted

Pretty hyped for more Frank. Sounds like a really cool idea for an album.

7. abw123

Trusted

Could not agree more

8. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

“Out of Breath” is the one I don’t like from that album. Feels like it doesn’t belong.

9. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

"Out of Breath" is probably my least favorite on the album as well, but I don't skip it. "Silent Key" is a mid-tier track on it, but still very good.

Having songs such as "Get Better", "Mittens", "Josephine", & The "Next Storm" make it hard for "Silent Key" to be a top tier track.

10. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Whenever "Mittens" comes on I can't help but just bellow the lyrics out along with the song. Its so damn good.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  11. Didn't know there was so much hate for Silent Key? I really enjoy that track. I'm excited to put the Be More Kind era behind, even if after many attempts to get into it revealed that I actually like the record if you take out Tiny Changes and Make America Great Again.

12. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Silent Key is very cool, don’t listen to the haters!

I try so hard to get into BMK but I just can’t. I love Frank too much and give his music such high respect so I keep trying more than I should, but meh. Only songs I will ever let play are 1933, There She Is, BMK, & Blackout (go figure literally all the singles lol).

Braveface and 21st Century Survival Breakdown whatever have catchy melodies enough for me to sometimes listen, but lyrically suck so hard. I also think brave face is the only word said in that song.

13. Craig Manning

"Silent Key" also has the benefit of being placed at the perfect point in an album that flows extremely well. The sequencing on Positive Songs is so good.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  14. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Totally agree. I cannot think of one issue with the sequencing on it. Also the way Love Forty Down goes into Silent Key is fucking awesome!

15. Craig Manning

I haven't listened to that album in a long time. I should do that today.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  16. abw123

Trusted

Mittens is awesome.....

Brother Beck likes this.
  17. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I’d agree Out of Breath is probably my least favourite. Sounded better live maybe.

I guess I like Silent Key more than most then too. There could be 4 or 5 I like more, but it does feel big closer to PS4NP (and I still consider A Song for Josh a special song after which was beautiful written and performed).

18. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Out of Breath rips.

19. abw123

Trusted

Song For Josh is absolutely heartbreaking. What a great song.

Brother Beck and .K. like this.
  20. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Not gonna lie, I almost always tear up when Frank's voice quavers a little bit during the line about the kids in the crowd. There's been times where I'll flat out just started bawling.

21. abw123

Trusted

Yup, that's the moment that gets me too. So raw.

Brother Beck likes this.
  22. abw123

Trusted

I was always curious, how does a very successful touring musician from the UK become such good friends with a guy who works security at a DC venue ??? I'm interested in the backstory.

23. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

There are a lot of stories and instances of Frank Turner being a prick to people, especially and usually over social media, but I have also always read a lot of accounts of him being very down-to-earth and treating people very well in person and just being an all-around cool guy. And I don't mean to just other touring musicians, but all sorts of other people as well.

.K. likes this.
  24. abw123

Trusted

Right, but being nice to random people and being good enough friends with them as that song would indicate are 2 totally different things, right?

I've met him twice and he was very nice both times, for whatever that's worth.

Brother Beck likes this.
  25. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I always just assumed that A) the two of them really hit it off, and B) with the way Frank tours he wound up at The 9:30 Club more often than some of his contemporaries maybe would have been. I do agree it was probably a cool story though about how they ended up that close.

Frank Turner probably tops my list of musicians who I would love to sit down at a pub and shoot the shit with.