Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Frank Turner - Be More Kind (May 4, 2018) Album • Page 29

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by okayibelieveyou, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

2. Henry

Moderator Moderator

So happy Murder By Death is on there

stars143 likes this.
  3. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

So one day people imply Frank’s a racist and the next day he has a transgendered front person on his tour.

Just an observation.

4. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

What do race and transgender identity have to do with the other?

Nobody was ever implying he was a racist either, the commentary was that he acted like a smug arrogant asshole on twitter instead of stepping back to learn for a minute.

5. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Usually when someone’s a jerk and discriminates, they are not selective about discrimination (race, religion, etc.).

It was an observation. It actually only goes to support the idea you are saying where he could have handled the situation differently, and and maybe listened. I don’t k one if that would have an impact on the outcome, but the situation itself sounded ridiculous.

But don’t forget that there was group of people making physical threats. I’d say they fit in that group of people who probably show discrimination to multiple groups of people. Seeing someone mishandle one situation doesn’t lump them into that same group of idiots who may call themselves fans and use that as a reason to threaten harm.

6. sonder, Mary V, Snoblin and 7 others like this.
  7. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah i mean, just off of seeing the things he posts and talks about on twitter on a normal basis, i dont get that he is discriminatory or hateful at all - this was just a boneheaded stubborn move by him and it reflected poorly. I don’t think he’s a bad guy. I also don’t think he was even necessarily actively discriminating against anyone - he named his band a problematic name (whether he was aware of the name’s historical significance or not) back in 2012 and now has to own up to the consequences should people take offense, which clearly they have, and he handled it like an idiot.

Jake W likes this.
  8. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I had never heard of this before. People are really particular know with language and titles, but if you’re going try, you might as well try and be right.

I’d rather someone post a link like this because it can be to everyone’s benefits, instead of the negative criticism that happens so often on the internet.

9. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

It’s probably just a knee jerk reaction. Does this side project still exist. If they do another recording, I wonder if Frank and his band mates will take serious thoughts on making a change. You hope with some reflection they would, even if the name was meant to have a different connotation to the band.

10. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

They do still exist. He just did a short UK tour with them last month.

He is great about responding to literally everyone that emails him, so I wonder if that’s part of why he came across so bad in the email (meaning it was a quick, unthoughtful reaponse). His initial response after the fact wasn’t much better obviously though, and I’m not trying to excuse the response regardless. This whole thing sucks and I really wish he would just change the name and acknowledge it as a learning opportunity. Seems like a great chance to practice some of what he’s been preaching the last couple years.

11. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

His new band is called something like Eat Before Swimming or something like that. So maybe the other band is just a past thing? If it’s not, I’m sure he has time to rethink and adjust.

Unrelated though, I have had to explain bad names before that people initionally assumed were offensive like The Suicide Machines or Bad Religion. Once people understand the name or context, usually they say “on that makes more sense”.

Not saying that’s the case her though.

12. Turkeylegz

Trusted

In this he says the next album is going to be more raw as opposed to the clean production of "Be More Kind". I am excited!

Sean Murphy and JimmyIymmiJ like this.
  13. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

yes please

Turkeylegz likes this.
  14. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

That means he must already be thinking about or writing another album. I didn’t really notice the production on Be More
    kind in any negative way. Sounded good actually. Just a case of not every song clicking or sequencing for me. End of the album is sort of meh compared
    To some of his other albums for me.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  15. JimmyIymmiJ

He’s posted a few things recently about recording new songs already.

.K. and Turkeylegz like this.
  16. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah he has posted a few times that he is demo'ing, but i don't expect anything this year, or maybe even next. BMK has only been out 9 months, and I doubt he's trying to get out of this cycle as quickly as he can, because he seems to love this album. I'd still wager at least another year or two between albums.

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  17. JimmyIymmiJ

I think we’ll get more music sooner than later, but I also doubt we’ll get an album this year. I remember when he was talking about releasing the “important women in history record” (I don’t know how else to refer to that) he had mentioned it possibly being self released because he wasn’t sure his label would go for it as an official record, so I could see him putting out an EP or some other kind of release while still touring for BMK. He’s talked about potentially recording a bluegrass record and a soul record over the last couple years as well. He’s never been shy about releasing additional material.

18. JimmyIymmiJ

sonder, Turkeylegz, .K. and 1 other person like this.
  19. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Wow - that was quick

20. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

She did A Black Mile to the Surface so hype is sort of already set on high, but as far as frank goes i am hesitant to be excited for a follow up of bmk this soon.

Turkeylegz and JimmyIymmiJ like this.
  21. JimmyIymmiJ

A “sprawling experimental bunch of songs” makes it sound like it’ll be even more of a departure than Be More Kind was. Her previous work, especially with A Black Mile to the Surface, seems like this might be the right kind of experimental for him, but we will see.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  22. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

give me Frank's version of The Grocery !! lol

Turkeylegz likes this.
  23. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I’ve never been nervous for a Frank Turner album in my entire life until now. Be More Kind just never did it for me.

I’m nervous.

24. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Did anything else come from the Koji/Frank stuff? Last I saw was that Koji said Frank decided to finally reach out to him

sonder likes this.
  25. JimmyIymmiJ

To the best of my knowledge, that was the last that was officially said of it.