Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Frank Turner - Be More Kind (May 4, 2018) Album • Page 28

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by okayibelieveyou, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I truly do not know the derogatory meaning behind it. I’m learning as it comes too, that’s why I swapped out the term for one we all understand. I never knew about this one. I plan to read up more when I’m out of work today.

However, if someone of Asian heritage claims it is and is offended by it I will respect it and learn from it. I have no right to say “no” as a white male.

stars143 likes this.
  2. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I can understand the Mongol thing being offensive more than I can using the word 'mongrel' though. 'Mongrel' to me was always synonymous with 'mutt' and was used to describe a dog that isn't just one type of dog.

Carrow likes this.
  3. Just wanna say that this is a v refreshing discussion to see happen and I wish it's the kind that Frank could have had with Koji and use it as a way to educate himself and his fans (myself included, I was admittedly ignorant on the subject).

Thanks to those providing insight and research, and to those who are taking the time to learn about it!

4. stars143

Trusted

I guess my question is if the band name is actually perceived as offensive by a significant amount of Mongolians (and people of that heritage, more broadly). Even in the article Koji linked on Twitter, the last paragraph is:

upload_2019-2-6_16-33-52.png

All in all, I think Frank's reaction says a lot more than the band name itself. I love a lot of his music, but it seems like he could do better in dealing with online criticisms.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  5. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

stars143 likes this.
  6. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

twitter is also a bad place for you to just accuse people of trying to use a platform to "better their fanbase" by faking outrage. but hey who am i?

sonder, Donnie Ruth, Carrow and 2 others like this.
  7. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Yeah Twitter is a bad place for discussions, probably why Koji decided to email first but oh look you just dismissed him there too

8. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

Someone should tweet him #BeMoreKind

9. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Koji tweeted that Frank has reached out to him via email and the discussion will begin. This is good.

However, my god. Don’t react so poorly to it ESPECIALLY IF you are a person preaching to be more kind to others. He should have done this ASAP. Bad look.

I get it, you hate Twitter and sometimes there are shitty people on Twitter. However, Koji isn’t a nobody and was reaching out to you on a racially insensitive subject. Just listen. Learn. Understand. Grow.

sonder, Joe4th and Carrow like this.
  10. Lex

the horizon is my home

Wow... His response about being unable to change a band's name after 7 years is just pathetic. There's no such rule! And it's not like Koji accused him of being racist he was just trying to explain his feelings. Never listened to the song his band is named after, but if the song you name your band after is racist in itself... there is no reason to keep the name. Glad its at least being discussed.... but it should be very obvious.

I'm really disappointed in Frank. Like what everyone is saying: what happened to being more kind?

11. it's almost like he's actually full of shit

Anthony_ likes this.
  12. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i just think he's very bad at twitter/handling criticisms. i don't think he's a shitty person, or as shitty as he comes off. he was acting like a snarky asshole on twitter right around the album release as well when it became clear that not everyone was feeling this album.

stars143 likes this.
  13. Ergh.

14. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Twitter is not a place for anyone to handle this stuff in general. It’s a marketing tool. If you want to have an important conversation with people, any place that puts a limit on how many characters you use limits your ability to be effective.

This situation sounds like a mess, and hopefully these two can end up having a productive conversation outside the media and twitter.

It’s scary that the twitter platform has the potential to start a war.

In this case, it’s only a band name. I’m sure two these guys can be productive and come to a proper conclusion. I don’t much about this subject though.

15. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I’m glad I’m not on twitter. People making threats. Messed up.

16. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Band tries to bring attention to racial discrimination in the music scene:
    Receives violent threats.

Yep, seems just about right. Yikes.

Jake W likes this.
  17. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

25E828F7-1D15-4652-ADB5-A52BC10633EE.jpeg

Ahhhhh yes, the Twitter account with 0 followers and following 0 people. This whole narrative of “trying to slander someone” is problematic. It goes beyond this fake twitter, as this mindset is the mindset of MANY, MANY people out there in the world.

Not having open discussion when someone brings attention to a possible racial issue (or IGNORING/MOCKING sexual assault victims as another example) is a horrific way of thinking. Open dialogue and discussion leads to change, and there’s too many people out there not willing to do so.

Joe4th and Carrow like this.
  18. Fucking alt-right wanker with 0 followers thinks he's well hard for threatening a trans woman.

19. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

As a big fan of Frank's who actually worked pretty hard to get into his latest album in large part due to it positive message, I really hope he comes out with some kind of statement or something after all of this. He was so dismissive right off the bat and honestly acted like a complete and total asshole, I hope he doesn't just allude to talking to the the person and then never mention it again and hope everyone forgets and moves on.

I was honestly surprised he went so quickly to the 'outrage-mongering' thing, but I suppose I shouldn't have been.

For a rich white guy who is currently making a lot of money peddling the idea that everyone needs to be more kind, I honestly think Frank is at a pretty important crossroads here. This is a big test to see if he can walk the walk and not just make money off talking the talk.

20. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Like, whether or not he truly believes in the messaging he's been pushing lately aside for a moment, he's always struck me as a relatively smart guy and I think he's a pretty savvy businessman - I'm surprised Businessman Frank didn't look at this situation and realize that his shitty knee-jerk response was very off-brand.

21. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

As a white person I'll never understand why white people think they can tell non-white people what is/isn't racist

22. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Sometimes when people get constantly picked apart, when someone actually has something of value to say, it’s assumed its just a critique as per usual, and gets lost.

Unless it’s a pattern of behaviour.

23. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Honestly it depends on a scenario and it depends who is in a majority power role. It a world problem and it’s amazing that since the invention of the internet how people haven’t just started to embrace the world community more. You’d think their is more opportunity for education, understanding and acceptance. Sadly we get daily reminders otherwise.

Jake W likes this.
  24. neveragain

Carrow likes this.
  25. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Don’t booking agents handle most touring commitments? I mean, a band could decide what kind of touring they want to do, like club venues, fesitivals, solo tours.