Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Frank Turner - Be More Kind (May 4, 2018) Album • Page 25

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by okayibelieveyou, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I'm in the minority of enjoying this album and honestly don't think he has a bad album.

2. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I can't even say that I hate Be More Kind because it honestly doesn't even generate any level of feeling or reaction other than dissapointment. The songs aren't agressively bad, just uninteresting, boring and in no way compelling. If I had never heard of Frank and someone played Be More Kind for me my reaction would be along the lines of "hmm, he seems nice, but I am not going to finish this album and it will literally never cross my mind again." I've only struggled so much to connect with it because it's Frank Turner and how much I usually love what he does. Whatever sequence I try to put the songs in I end up shoving like 7 or so really boring songs down the list and end up with a half hour or so of music at the end that I have no desire to even go near.

3. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Jet Lag is a phenomenal closer

George and AFoolsGlory like this.
  4. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

TDH is easily my favourite

5. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

maybe a controversial/sensitive opinion but I don't even really consider Song For Josh to be the album's "closer"....yeah it's the last song on the album but I've always viewed it as sort of a bonus/extra track, since it probably never factored into his preparations for the album until Josh passed and he recorded that song. In my mind "Silent Key" is PS4NP's closer, and I think that's a top 5 FT song, so again, another stellar album closer.

6. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

but yeah, Journey of the Magi and Glory Hallelujah are weak closers.

7. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

need to binge FT again this weekend

8. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I think TDH is his most fully realized album, and while it's not my favorite, i think it may be his best work.

9. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Silent Key sucks. Easily my least favourite on that album.

10. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

dang, man.

Joe4th likes this.
  11. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I think Positive Songs is prob my favorite, England Keep My Bones has his best work though

12. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

LI&S, EKMB, TDH, and PS4NP are all my favorite depending on my day/mood. Those 4 all mean so much to me in different ways.

13. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I'm not sure if it was before PS4NP or before BMK, but I saw him in between album cycles out promoting his book and he did a Q&A and he said he was writing a historically accurate, for lack of a better term, rock opera to be his next album. like it was going to be one cohesive story about old/ancient times in london, and i was so psyched for that because he writes that stuff so well, and i was so bummed to not get that.

14. Joe4th

I love Silent Key

15. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

"Song for Josh" is ABSOLUTELY not a bonus track. Wow. Do not like that take, @Sean Murphy. Also, pretty sure Josh passed in 2013 and was among the very first songs he wrote for Positive Songs. It was always going to be on the album and was probably always going to be the closer.

SpyKi and Joe4th like this.
  16. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

if that's accurate than my take is completely off base and i can accept that

17. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

still love Silent key tho

18. Joe4th

Yeah, it definitely is the closer and not a bonus track. Just because he chose to record it live doesn't make it a bonus track. He just wanted that environment/sound for it.

19. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

and also building off one of my last posts, this set list is from that Q&A he did in 2016 (so between PS and BMK);

Frank Turner Setlist at The Society For Ethical Culture, New York

"Death of Dora Hand" was one of the first songs he wrote for his historical london story album, and i remember it being really really interesting. he never built off it.

edit: a video of him performing the song elsewhere

20. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I think he actually recorded the version that's on the record before he even went into the studio with Butch.

21. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Yeah man, I'm with you on that. I saw him live, possibly on the Positive Songs tour (?) And he played this song about the woman who discovered CPR (I think?), similar sort of thing and probably was a song for that scrapped project. Would have been so good to get.

As for Song For Josh, I can't help but get emotional at that song. Playing it at the 9:30 Club to an audience of his friends and family, unbelievable. Broken Piano is also top tier Frank for me.

Joe4th likes this.
  22. JimmyIymmiJ

Wasn’t that the record that was supposed to be about famous women in history who aren’t generally remembered (or something along those lines)? I think he had pretty much a whole album’s worth of tracks. I know he played a few others than that one.

23. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Lyrically it’s not his best, but the positive message surrounding it connected with me at a time I needed it so I luckily had great timing! Going from a bad relationship and picking myself back up, the transition from TDH to PSFP really hit with me.

The Be More Kind message was lacking, uninspired, and just meh.

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  24. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I believe this may be correct. it sounds right.

25. JimmyIymmiJ

Same here. 2015 was one of the worst years of my life. It feels weird saying it, but that record probably saved my marriage.

Donnie Ruth likes this.