Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Frank Turner - Be More Kind (May 4, 2018) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by okayibelieveyou, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

USA/Canada dates are up

Lucero & Menzingersss

2. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

And homeless gospel choir!

I wish this wasn’t quiiiiite such a dude-fest, but those are all really good bands.

3. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Song definitely rocks

Can't wait for the tour, I somehow haven't seen him since he opened for Flogging Molly back in 2010 which is insane

4. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I saw him open for Listener in a coffee shop in NH back in 2012. Really nice dude, cool to see him on tours like this now.

VanMastaIteHab likes this.
  5. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Wow the biggest case of blue balls is seeingg the Menzingers on that tour lineup and losing your mind....until you see they stop playing with him the day before your show.

6. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

yep lol

7. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah he’s a Pittsburgh local so I see him all the time but I’m glad for all the exposure he’ll get on this tour. The album he released last year, Normal, is his best and should have been a bigger deal than it was.

waking season likes this.
  8. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Arkells on the UK/IRE dates is dope. They put on a great show.

9. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Damn, won’t be seeing him in 2018. Home he comes to WNY in 19.

10. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Yess, great song. So going to the Newcastle gig. 3 gigs in a week that makes it, but fuck I'm so pumped for Frank.

Always puts on an amazing show.

11. abw123

Trusted

Heard 3-4 of these on tour last year (solo acoustic), and 1933 was instantly my favorite. Should be a good album.

12. emersontheauthor

Regular

He's back in Dallas in June ~~~

And I've never managed to catch the Menzingers live ~~~

Can't wait to check out the new material after work!

13. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

Can’t wait for the album and tour!

14. Wall Of Arms

LIGHTEN UP, BUTTERCUP Prestigious

Had the pleasure of chatting to him and working with him a little recently and more so in the future. Absolute gent and very excited for what he's got going on this year. Incredible tour in many ways.

Craig Manning likes this.
  15. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Yeah, he's a great guy and a lot of fun to talk to. Not as immediately sold on this track as I was with "Get Better," but still excited to hear what he's got coming.

16. tomtom94

Trusted

Positive Songs for Negative People was a disappointment for me, possibly because Frank + Butch Walker + all the good reviews I'd read pre-release set the album up to fall short of my expectations.

Cautiously optimistic for this. It doesn't really surprise me that the lead single falls short of Get Better, though, that song was pretty much a perfect FT song.

17. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

It was a weird situation for me with Butch Walker producing albums for Brian Fallon and Frank Turner relatively close together. I love Butch Walker, and Brian Fallon and Frank Turner are both personal favorites of mine, but with both of those albums Butch produced I feel like the wholes were less than the sum of their parts, even though I enjoy both PSFNP & Painkillers and think they are both very good albums. Where Butch's album Stay Gold from the same era is a damn masterpiece.

To my mind, both Painkillers and PSFNP stumbled a little bit where they should have completely soared, and in both cases I feel like the artist left some of the most compelling material on the cutting room floor. I have no idea as to how Butch is as a producer and what his relationship is with the artist, and that all could have been completely different with Frank Turner and Brian Fallon, but the similarities struck me.

.K. likes this.
  18. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Both of those records are great, but yeah, Stay Gold is on another level. Disagree about Brian leaving some of the best material off the record, though. I thought the songs on the Georgia EP were dramatically inferior to everything on the record. Positive Songs is also my favorite Frank Turner record, so I guess I don’t have many complaints.

19. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

Been blasting 1933 all day. So good and exactly what we need right now

20. Brother Beck Jan 29, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 29, 2018)
    Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

PSFNP & Painkillers are both great albums. I am not a musician, so just the very act of writing a song boggles my mind. Now trying to wrap my mind around writing one that is actually good is even crazier. Now do that 10-12 times, while also making sure everything isn't too repetitive and samey yet cohesive enough to hang together as a whole. All I'm getting at is that I do realize it is silly to be "disappointed" in an album for merely being really great and not being an all-time masterpiece. I think it speaks to more how highly I hold both Brian Fallon and Frank Turner as musicians.

Plus, I think in both cases my enjoyment of the album was hindered a bit by my following each artist a little too closely and obsessively. Had I not already heard the Molly and the Zombies version of Long Drives and fallen in love with it I know I would have enjoyed the ultimate album version much more. Similar to how incesssantly checking Frank Turner's instagram and searching YouTube for live versions of new material lead to me being dissapointed when Least of All Young Caroline and Little Aphrodite didn't show up on PSFNP.

21. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Not that into 1933 or There She Is so I'm not feeling great about this album. I hope i like the rest a lot more.

22. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I still haven't heard the track but I'll put it on on the way home. Last album grew on me, I wasn't as keen when I first heard it. If it's as positive as something like Demons then I am all for it.

23. emersontheauthor

Regular

Eh, 1933 is decent. More of the same. I'm hoping there's at least some level of hearable experimentation on the record, maybe we'll hear it on the first proper single. "Blackout," I think.

On a side note, I'm always looking for covers of "The District Sleeps Alone Tonight," and that one was pretty good!

24. Paddy

// _ _ _ _ _ _ _ //

Makes me think of this

SpyKi likes this.
  25. abw123

Trusted

Yes he is saying the proper single is "Blackout" which is apparently not out yet.

Frank can do no wrong, I'm sure it will be good.

The last album was hit or miss for me personally but I loved Get Better, The Next Storm, Mittens, and Song For Josh in particular.