Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Frank Turner and Jon Snodgrass Announce New Album

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Frank Turner and Jon Snodgrass have teamed up for the release of Buddies II: Still Buddies. The album will be out on November 13th, and pre-orders are now up. Today they’ve shared a video for “Bad Times, Good Vibes.”

Xtra Mile Recordings and songwriters Frank Turner & Jon Snodgrass are pleased to present the Friday, November 13 release of Buddies II: Still Buddies (pre-order). Ten years ago, the two acclaimed musicians hung out, drank whisky and wrote & recorded an album together called Buddies – a lighthearted hang between friends that became a hit with fans of both artists. Fast forward a decade and the pair are still buddies, so they decided to write a follow-up.

As with the original, Buddies II: Still Buddies was written in just one day, although this time, however, Turner and Snodgrass had to do it over the Internet due to lockdown. With more time on their hands than usual, they were able to flesh out the album, musically, and recruit other buddies – Stephen Egerton (Descendents/ALL) on drums and Todd Beene (Lucero, Chuck Ragan, Glossary) on pedal steel – for added instrumentation. The result is a funny, warm and at times poignant album that’s part talk show, part music.

Touching upon themes such as Jon having children, their travels across the U.S., name-checking other songwriter “buddies” like they did on the original LP and more, the album is a charming and playful reflection on a friendship 10 years on. From the punk-turned-country of the album’s lead single, “Bad Times Good Vibes” to referencing George Carlin’s infamous “Saving The Planet” on “The Fleas,” Buddies II: Still Buddies also stands as the first album Turner has recorded, mixed and mastered entirely on his own. Watch the music video for “Bad Times Good Vibes” over at Rolling Stone HERE and YouTube HERE. Turner had the following to share about the project and how it came about this year:

“Lockdown has been such a blow to the music industry, and such a drag that we were all looking for things to do. Jon and I have been buddies a long time, and I noticed the 10-year anniversary of our collaborative album was coming up. Technology is such that we were able to reprise the writing method remotely, and indeed it turns out we've got a lot better at it in the intervening decade. I'm really, really proud of the record.”

Frank Turner is one of the UK’s most successful solo artists of the past decade, selling over one million records worldwide and playing to over two million people from small venues to a sold-out show at London’s famous Wembley Arena. Winner of the AIM (Association of Independent Music) Award for ‘Hardest Working Artist’, and Best Independent Music Festival for his annual four-day event Lost Evenings. Albums England Keep My Bones, Tape Deck Heart and Love, Ire & Song are certified Gold in the UK. Positive Songs For Negative People certified Silver in the UK. Turner’s latest offering, West Coast Vs. Wessex, a split with NOFX, is out now.

Jon Snodgrass is a well-respected figure of the US punk and Americana scene and is a member of Armchair Martian, Drag The River and Scorpios as well as a solo artist. Snodgrass has collaborated with Chad Rex, Hagfish, Descendents, Stephen Egerton, Joey Cape, Lagwagon, Bad Astronaut, Cory Branan, Chuck Ragan (Revival Tour and Hot Water Music), Tim McIlirath (Rise Against), Chris Wollard (Hot Water Music and Ship Thieves), Vinnie Fiorello (Less Than Jake), Scott Reynolds (ALL), Mike Herrera (MxPx), Arliss Nancy, and Jimmy Islip. Snodgrass will release his new album, Tace, on A-F Records on Friday, October 9.

Track Listing

1. Still Buddies
    2. Retractions
    3. S-Bar
    4. Stephen Plays The Drums
    5. MacBeth
    6. Bad Times Good Vibes
    7. The Age Of A Dog
    8. The Fleas
    9. Hold Me Homie
    10. The Earth Is Flat
    more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. CampfireColorado

Regular

Well this freakin rules

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  3. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

The first one was fine for a goofy little project. This sounds better, and I’m all in for it.