Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Frank Turner – “A Wave Across a Bay”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Really great song and tribute to Scott Hutchinson of Frightened Rabbit. You can really tell he was loved and is missed by his family, friends, fans and peers.

3. artbynickferran

nickferran.com

Wow, that's an incredible tribute to an incredible man. Such emotion in those lyrics and passion in their delivery. This is a good one. RIP Scott.

spencpants, JimmyIymmiJ and .K. like this.
  4. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

And best of the 4 songs from this in my opinion.

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  5. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Here’s the album version I just found on YouTube. Both versions are excellent. For every Frank Turner and Kevin Devine record, I wish the each had an acoustic version of the album to accompany it.

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  6. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

I loved when he did that on PS4NP. There are definitely a few tracks on there that I greatly prefer the acoustic version as opposed to the full version and vice versa. I wish he had done the same with Be More Kind as I think there are probably a few tracks I would like more if they were stripped back.

I’m glad there will be an acoustic version of this track and a few of the others on here.

.K. likes this.
  7. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Agreed. Sometimes the polish of more instrumentation and productions adds something, but on others the raw sound of a voice and an acoustic guitar just drive the songs lyrics and meaning home more.

Some songs just work well both ways. Loved that he did it for PS4NP. I think there are few from BMK that had acoustic versions (2-3 maybe).

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  8. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

Yeah, I have Blackout and There She Is. Could be more I don’t know of. I know “Make America Great Again” gets a fair amount of hate (and well deserved), but the first time I heard that song was acoustic, and I loved it. The bite in his voice and the message that he was going for seemed much more apparent. I absolutely loathe the album version, but to the best of my knowledge that’s the only version he ever released. Given the producer this time around and the production of the songs thus far released I’m not expecting anything to be that jarring as much of BMK was, though.

The moral of the story — I like this song and I’m glad we’ll be getting both versions of it (and a few of the others as well).

.K. likes this.
  9. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Frank’s “Make American…” had good intentions. Musically it’s fine too (although based on what you said I’d be interested in hearing it acoustically). Sadly the phrase he used and tried to flip more positively had such a negative association he couldn’t overcome the negative connections it had.

Considering how much I enjoy his now older material, I only liked half of BMK and maybe a third of NML. I’ve been a little worried about how much FTHC I’d like based on what I’ve heard, but this new song is what I enjoy about Frank.

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  10. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I think there’s one or two more. Maybe Little Changes.

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.