Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Foxy Shazam Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by mikalcheuk, Feb 5, 2017.

1. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

It's just really boring to me and it seems like a waste of his talent.

vidiviciveni likes this.
  2. vidiviciveni

Trusted

You'll note I didn't say cash

3. vidiviciveni

Trusted

His personal level just happens to have him riding a bike towards the camera with a few nice angles from the side, exactly like his buddy Macklemore in the Downtown video? Not likely

4. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Still not a "popularity grab" either.

5. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I'd love to hear an in-depth answer on how this dreadful overproduced music is not a popularity grab

6. Joe4th

Because you don't know how Eric Nally feels? How extremely judgmental can you be to automatically assume that because he's making music YOU personally don't enjoy, that this is some sort of popularity grab. People enjoy pop music, people enjoy making pop music. Just because it's not what you personally want to hear, does not for a second mean that he's doing it to just get popular.

These sort of musical influences have been all over Foxy's last few albums, it should come as no surprise he ended up going in a pop direction after the split.

irthesteve likes this.
  7. vidiviciveni

Trusted

You're mistaking my musical taste for the obvious identification of trends.

For the record, I'd say Foxy's excellent self-titled record was a popularity grab also - they went from manic post-hardcore with gibberish vocals to slick classic rock-inflected power-pop, but the songwriting was fantastic and his stage presence was new and exciting. Still a popularity grab, but a well executed one. It's not wrong to want to make popular music, it's wrong to do it badly and with nothing of relevance to say.

I am extremely judgemental, but I'm also aware that people in general and celebrities/artists especially leave themselves open to be judged, so why would I apologize for doing so? I'm sure there's artistic merit in his new music somewhere, but I'm even more sure there was major label pressure behind every note, and a yearning to be recognized as "that guy with the sick voice from the Macklemore video". Otherwise, we'd be getting another Foxy Shazam album full of jams. Instead, we get a guy who's slaying his formidable pipes over a shit track that even a Bieber clone would've rejected.

tomdelonge likes this.
  8. Joe4th

Good god. I'm not even going to bother. There's so much wrong with that take it's not even worth it.

irthesteve likes this.
  9. vidiviciveni

Trusted

He says, as he bothers, and implies my opinion is somehow wrong in the process. Good site we've got going here.

10. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

you're being extremely condescending and abrasive trying to convince others that your mindset is right

Joe4th likes this.
  11. Joe4th

It's not an opinion, it's you being condescending as hell acting like you're allowed to decide what music he should be making, and saying since it's not what you enjoy that he's only doing it for popularity. It's completely ignorant and just plain stupid.

irthesteve likes this.
  12. Joe4th

Like, how many more times do we have to have a conversation about how just because someone doesn't enjoy pop music doesn't make it "overproduced crap"?

irthesteve likes this.
  13. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Articulation is not condescension gents. I haven't called anyone anything, but I've been called judgemental, ignorant and stupid in the last page alone. Check that mirror out occasionally.

I enjoy pop music. I pretty clearly articulated to you what I enjoy and don't enjoy about pop music, from a variety of angles, and what I don't enjoy about pop music is imitation. If Eric Nally's new music sounds original or heartfelt to you in the slightest, listen to your heart's content. It sounds the complete opposite to me, especially in comparison to his band's previous output.

Is this a music discussion site or a circle jerk of likes?

14. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Who even cares about popularity grabs or cash grabs

irthesteve and Joe4th like this.
  15. Fucking Dustin

"THIS GUY works at his JOB to MAKE MONEY AND BE APPRECIATED!!!"

*crowd boos and a plethora of tomatoes soar through the atmosphere*

16. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Well its true, it's not unexpected, perhaps I should come across less accusational about it as it's generally most artists dream to do what Eric Nally is doing

I just prefer authenticity and find it lacking in this case

17. Fucking Dustin

I think we're just preprogrammed to think of certain tones as unauthentic when they very well may be authentic.

One of my friends had a band who used to be one of my favorite bands, and on their third release it became extremely..."unauthentic" sounding, and I kinda had that view like "this is just to further their career and has nothing to do with the music they want to make", but they genuinely did believe in those songs and think they were doing something special.

18. Fucking Dustin

I talked to them years later when they had no stake in it and they were like "We loved that album so much" hahaha

19. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I wish Eric all the success in the world. The man is filled with talent and performs his ass off...

With that said- I don't like any of this. Oh well.

20. Checkered

Regular

Yeah bit of a dud as far as a single goes but Ruby was that good that I'm not stressed

21. irthesteve

22. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

meh

23. irthesteve

I'd prefer having Foxy back

24. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Same here, his solo stuff is okay but nothing amazing

25. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

I'm enjoying his solo stuff, and I trust that they still have big plans for Foxy in the future.