Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fox's Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie • Page 24

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Apr 1, 2016.

1. TerrancePryor

https://mp3sandnpcs.com/ Prestigious

2. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I feel bad for genuine New Mutants fan Josh Boone, but yeah, I'm dreading that being the final Fox-era X-Men film. Granted, I'm super skeptical of all such reports. But, it is a big question mark that I'm not particularly excited for.

Even if Dark Phoenix ends up being awful, that feels like a much more fitting final chapter to this era I grew up with, and I'm weirdly looking forward to it for that reason.

3. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

I'm really only looking forward to Dark Phoenix in the hopes that they finally won't completely sideline Cyclops. Definitely think they will, but I'm still gonna hold out hope

4. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

I’ve said it before but I feel so bad for the New Mutants cast. Never even given a chance.

TEGCRocco likes this.
  5. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Channing Tatum is threatening to direct the Gambit movie now. lol

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  6. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Gambit has been a passion project of his for a while now. If Feige gives the green light then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Feige won't give it the green light.

7. Davjs

Trusted

I think he's just trying to get it in before cut off, (don't all fox movies have to be in production by like March or something to get made?) so if that's what it takes, I'll take it!

8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Its all dependent of the acquisition date. A lot of things are in motion, but the dates aren't finalized. The move will likely take a few months, and happen in pieces, so March seems like a possibility. It could end up being much later though.

9. Tim

How can it be so hard in 2018/2019 to find a director who's willing to do a movie based on a Marvel Comics property?

If he has a specific enough vision that a lot of established directors don't want to do this film, that's cool. But, like, there has to be a competent enough, say, television director or whatever who'd be happy to put in solid work on a practical budget to realize someone else's vision.

I imagine it's technically illegal to meet with Kevin Feige about playing Gambit in the MCU right now. If I were Channing Tatum, though, I'd be preparing a proposal, with maybe a couple backup proposals, so that as soon as the dust settles, I could work hard on setting up a meeting. Feige has talked about focusing on different characters at first, & Fox only used Gambit once as a minor supporting character in 2009. There's no way he green lights "Gambit the Movie," but the character is iconic enough to be a main character in some ensemble or team up film.

10. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

He might get lucky and Feige will go straight into the animated series cast for the first X-men project. But I highly doubt Gambit is at the top of his list to bring into the MCU.

11. Davjs

Trusted

20:45 min mark :verysad::verysad::verysad: I wanted this series to go out on a high note as a series I grew up with and has had some incredible high points.

12. Davjs

Trusted

Here is a clip with the segment cropped out so no need to skip around, just let it play!

13. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I hope it gets dumped on Hulu.

14. Tim

Yeah, I've seen all the different reports in recent weeks. It's whatever. *shrug*

With the multiple reports at various stages, the release being pushed back twice, franchise ambivalence, current crowded summer release (they should've moved it to, like, September or October, but I don't think they can move it AGAIN)... It's gonna be bad financially. Still, releasing it on Hulu doesn't make sense at this point, 'cause they're gonna want to make something off of this.

As for me personally... I'm still interested. I still want to see it in theaters, probably opening night. The only movie with this cast I actually like is the one with the old cast, too, and Fox's track record isn't good. I wouldn't be shocked if this is Fant4stic bad. But, I have enough unpopular opinions that, with tempered expectations, I could see myself liking this for what it is.

Cyclops is a main character. Storm is finally on the team. Wolverine isn't in this at all. One more time with Michael Fassbender at Magneto. Mystique should be dead and out of our hair by the halfway point. Costumes aren't crap for once (even though they're probably in civilian clothes for 95% of the film). Hans Zimmer is doing the score. This isn't directed by a pedophile/predator. The trailer's aesthetic is good.

I dunno. Until I see the whole movie with my own two eyes, I won't be able to quit it. It's probably the 2019 comic book movie with the lowest floor, but it's one of the two (Endgame being the other) that I'm most eager to see how it turns out.

justin. likes this.
  15. Davjs

Trusted

You didn't like First Class? And I thought their track record lately has been great: First Class, DOFP, Logan, Deadpool 1 and 2.

Let's not talk about Apocalypse.... (even though I like it, I know it's not that great though)

Agreed on all points, but also add in seeing Mcavoy again!

16. Tim

I do not like First Class, no.

When it came out, I thought it was a good reset after Last Stand and Origins, and I loved Magneto in it, and the suits, and the Wolverine cameo. But, as a whole, I did not connect to it, and I've never seen the hype around it. It's not a compelling team, I didn't care much about Charles' journey, and now that I've become a big Emma Frost fan, I hate how she was used. Oh, and it did the classic include a black character just to kill him off thing, so that's cool? I honestly would revisit that Last Stand hot mess out of nostalgia before First Class. I wish the Magneto origin story they were planning had happened instead, 'cause him hunting Nazis is probably the highlight.

I mentioned Fassbender and not McAvoy 'cause DOFP is the only one of these movies where I connected to his Xavier. It's a weird take on the character, but one that worked well and was performed well. He's a great actor, but I could take him or leave him in First Class and, more so, Apocalypse. Fassbender is the only actor in this cast that's risen above the quality of the film he's in, imo. Though, even if Dark Phoenix sucks, I hope he's a highlight this time around. Xavier being a manipulative control freak is kind of his thing, so even though it resembles Last Stand, I like the idea that he's partially responsible for the whole Jean mess.

justin. and Davjs like this.
  17. Davjs

Trusted

As a fan of both X3 and First Class, I still agree with most your points. Esp the team of young mutants in First Class, I felt like their story was shoe horned in because it had to be and the Eric vs Nazi's/hunt for Shaw scenes are what puts this movie up there for me. A whole movie of that would have been great, and maybe it's wrong for me to use those scenes to negate the bad stuff in the movie, but it just makes me like it overall.

18. Davjs

Trusted

Either way, I'm with you in going to be there opening night.

From my statement's it's obvious that I'm ride or die for this franchise, even the bad ones. It's just that enjoy them and am way happier when they turn out to be good like DOFP and Logan!

19. Tim

In all fairness, you have bad taste, so I can see you ignoring the negative. :profx:

But, yeah, First Class occupies the same place as the first Spider-Man movie, where I see a lot of people loving it (it's a lot of people's favorite X-Men movie, which is wild in a world where X2 exists) but just can't see it as anything more than alright. I don't even own it, and I've seen it for a dollar and own comic book movies that are *worse*. Like, I bought Elektra, and then bought it again when I came across the director's cut, lol. But, I just know that there's no situation where I would ever be in the mood for First Class over the original trilogy, The Wolverine, DOFP, or Logan. At least it's the only X-Men team film not directed by a trash person 'til Dark Phoenix?

X3 is definitely not a good movie. I'd even call it a really bad movie. But, 17-yr-old me liked it (maybe I should've known better, but I didn't think critically about movies until adulthood), and even now, there are good ideas in spite of that bad (both on a craft and human level) director. Nostalgia for that cast, a couple great additions to said cast, and the stuff with Angel is genuinely good.

20. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I’ll see Dark Phoenix opening night even if it sucks. One last x-men film before we see them in the mcu.

Davjs likes this.
  21. Davjs

Trusted

Hey now! I've seen the movies you defend, our taste isn't too different.

The good just outweighs the bad in that case for me.

I was young too when I saw X3 and didn't see everyone wrong with it until I already had nostalgia for it.

22. Tim

There are now people on Twitter claiming to have seen Dark Phoenix test screenings that say they liked the movie a lot. And people making jokes pretending they saw it. And, I'm here for all this nonsense, lol.

Wonder what Fox's strategy will be between now and June to switch the narrative. A new trailer before Alita? A Super Bowl spot? A lot of unreasonable pressure at this point to only put their best foot forward at each step. Maybe they'll release a longer clip online, like the space sequence from that convention, in May; I remember ASM2 doing something like that. And, maybe try to have more strategic screenings to get word out.

Anyways, I had been reading Claremont/Cockrum/Byrne X-Men last year, & I recently got back in. Almost through the Dark Phoenix Saga, which I originally read quite a while ago.

It'll be interesting to see how people not familiar with the source material respond to them "reusing scenes from Last Stand" from the comic. (I know one leak mentioned a couple familiar beats.) As someone frustrated w/ MCU Spidey, I'd rather they tackle certain scenes again in a better film than over correct... But, if it's not better, I hate knowing Kevin Feige will likely bend over backwards to avoid anything Fox sniffed at.

23. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Apocalypse was such a disappointment that I can't imagine paying to see this in the cinema because I don't want to expose myself to more disappointment. But I probably will because it's X-Men and you never know. Just please don't be as bad as Apocalypse.

Davjs likes this.
  24. Tim

:chin:

I believe that he's still working on it, since Fox probably still has to remain business as usual to the end. But, like, there's no way this gets made, right? As cool as it'd be.

25. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Maybe his script could be used as a basis for the first MCU x-movie? Was there ever any mention of what his movie was gonna be about or never specified?