Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fox's Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie • Page 22

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Apr 1, 2016.

1. It's been a long time since I've rewatched the first trilogy of X-Men films. I honestly don't know how they'd hold up for me. Not too sure how I'd feel about First Class or Apocalypse on a rewatch either. I know I love DoFP and that it's my favorite by far.

Davjs likes this.
  2. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Honestly, I still maintain that X2 is the best of the 6 X-Men films we've gotten. It's very of its time, but it's still very solid, even alongside some of the stronger comic book films since then.

3. Tim

(It'd be great if the 2 really good X-Men films weren't by that trash dude Singer...)

4. I know I've seen other people say X2 is the best one. I'm curious to rewatch it. Although, as you allude to, I'm not exactly in a rush to rewatch a Singer movie.

5. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

This. I have DoFP purchased on iTunes and I don’t even watch it much anymore because I know who directed it.

6. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Constantly checking YouTube at this point

7. Joe Sep 26, 2018
    (Last edited: Sep 26, 2018)

Liked seeing them all suited up and together in the quick shot there. This movie feels much smaller scale than previous movies, which I can dig. Hopefully that means there's good character stuff carrying the movie.

8. Tim

So, is the name of the movie "Dark Phoenix" instead of "X-Men: Dark Phoenix"?

The trailer, in and of itself, actually looks good. With how little it shows, there's still a lot of room for bad (especially if there's an ugly third act they're hiding because it's not visually ready), but if it can keep itself anchored, it could be cool. (Especially if the death is Mystique and happens early enough for better characters to take center stage, lol.

Gotta look up that alleged plot leak and see if this contradicts that enough to raise my hopes.

9. Tim

Ok, not the original awful leak I remember, but this actually lines up perfectly with this plot leak from May.

I've gone from fearing an Apocalypse style failure to fearing a Fant4stic style failure. But, while I won't shake my pessimism until the movie's out, I do at least see a hypothetical timeline where I can like this for what it is. Here's hoping.

10. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

This would make me mourn for all of cinema.

Petit nain des Îles and Tim like this.
  11. Nick Sep 27, 2018
    (Last edited: Sep 27, 2018)
    Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Trailer seems fine, but fuck I hate the Apocalypse cast.

“When Jean got hit by the cosmic rays she sent the spaceship flying into space and somehow it f***ing lands on an alien planet. The aliens look at the wreckage and go ‘f*** it this means war. Let's go get the Phoenix force’.That's literally their whole motivation.”

lmao holy fucko

12. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Did they just remake x3 without the cure plot line?

Nick likes this.
  13. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Best part? The writer of The Last Stand is writing and directing this.

14. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

You can tell.

15. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

The trailer is pretty good. Kinberg said this film is more character based and the trailer gives that vibe so I’m in.

Davjs likes this.
  16. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

So frustrating. Why don't they let someone else have a shot at this storyline? lol

17. Henry

Moderator Moderator

This does not look good. I just do not think Sophie can play a compelling villain at all.

18. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

If I remember correctly, Jennifer Lawrence said she would come back if 1) James and Michael returned 2) Kinberg wrote and directed

19. Tim

Feels weird having one of the most positive takes on this, especially when it's not even that positive a take, lol.

This franchise does have a really weird obsession with plots centered on "dudes arguing over what to do with an out of control woman." This will be the second Phoenix film to do that w/ Jean, and DOFP did it w/ Mystique. I hope they tell this from Jean's perspective enough for it to not feel too weird.

Also, I hope we get some Scott saying "Jean" and Jean saying "Scott," lol. Give me that melodrama. And let Storm be a good character, and let Nightcrawler be fun.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  20. Davjs

Trusted

This looks a lot different than I expected, but it looks good. It actually looks like they have enough stuff going on to fill a movie without going to space haha.

I think it'd be cool for all the space stuff to stay a surprise for me, so I'll probably not watch any other trailers. I'm super sold already.

21. "You're always sorry Charles, and there's always a speech, and nobody cares."

Sums it up.

jkauf, Greg and Steve_JustAGuy like this.
  22. Davjs

Trusted

I know how played out their relationship is, but it's always been my favorite parts of these movies and honestly would watch them go back and forth all day long.

Why Bother? likes this.
  23. I love that element of it, but they really exhausted it. Apocalypse had me rolling my eyes when it got to the Charles-Magneto dilemma.

Also I hate how insistent this franchise is with Jennifer Lawrence. She gets more screen time than Jean in this trailer.

awakeohsleeper and Davjs like this.
  24. Tim

If I were rebooting the X-Men, I'd make sure to keep the plot away from Xavier, Magneto, and Wolverine (at least there's no Wolverine here, though we're still stuck with Mystique until she inevitably dies). I'd give Storm, Cyclops, Jubilee, or Kitty a shot at driving the narrative.

As probably the last film of this roughly two decade era, though, I'm alright with doing this dance one last time. Fassbender Magneto is the highlight of the Fox X-Men besides Jackman, but he hasn't had much a chance to shine outside a couple good scenes in lame films.

25. Tim

Granted, if we pretend this world has an overarching narrative, rehashing that conflict again after Apocalypse seemingly finally put them on good terms sucks, lol. But, it's only slightly worse than some of Infinity War's narrative choices. I've accepted that this franchise takes the comic book approach to continuity: acknowledge some and ignore the rest, whatever it takes for the current story.