Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Foxing - Nearer My God (August 10, 2018) Album • Page 118

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Jun 18, 2018.

1. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

I think they might be totally self-producing this time around

2. hermanthehermit

Paris, Texas Climate Accord Supporter

astereo likes this.
  3. ImAMetaphor

It’d be sick if he’s actually producing! The last I heard, he’s serving more of a consultant role and helping with some of the writing

4. hermanthehermit

Paris, Texas Climate Accord Supporter

I know they're doing pre-prod with him. I assumed that meant he'd be producing too, though Idk that for sure.

ImAMetaphor likes this.
  5. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

took a long break from this and came back and yup, still incredible. probably one of the best albums of the decade

the fact that "Five Cups" is just sitting in the middle of the tracklist, making absolutely no apologies or concessions for itself, makes me so damn happy. bold as hell

6. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

from what i understand that's sort of what chris walla was doing. could've swore eric said in an interview it was like he was producing the band and walla was producing him

coleslawed likes this.
  7. ImAMetaphor

Now that you say that I think you’re right, and I wouldn’t be shocked at all if Andy is doing the same thing with them. The sense I got from Conor was that they were essentially doing extended pre-pro/workshopping with Andy before actually going to record anything. No matter what happens I’m sure it’ll be great.

8. copperperson997

The other thing I'm wondering is who's going to mix/master the album. The mastering was basically the only real problem I had with NMG - it felt like the low end was sacrificed for a more exciting mid-range, which meant that the more R&B influenced details in songs like "Heartbeats" didn't hit quite as hard as they could have. It still sounds great tbh but it always feels like it could sound that much better.

sophos34 likes this.
  9. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

I haven’t heard a properly mastered album in decades. Streaming has just exacerbated the loudness wars

10. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

this album has been out 2 years and i still listen to it with a near daily frequency.

11. Justin Roux

Trusted Supporter

On the newest Manchester Orchestra patreon podcast Andy talked about the Foxing guys coming down to their studio recently to record! Sounds like Andy, Tim and Rob are on the record, they're pretty excited about it, and it sounds like it might be really high concept.

12. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

[​IMG]

coleslawed likes this.
  13. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

I love NMG, but kind of feel like Dealer doesn't get talked about as much as it should. The album nails "late night drive vibes" perfectly.

coleslawed and awakeohsleeper like this.
  14. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

'Dealer' is a fantastic album, but I don't think it hits the way NMG does. There are also moments where in comparison, Dealer almost sounds like a completely different band than the one that made NMG.

hermanthehermit and Ben like this.
  15. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Yeah it sounds cliche when other bands say it about themselves, but Foxing have sounded drastically different on each album. Dealer definitely doesn't "hit", outside of maybe Night Channels and Eiffel.

RuckerPark likes this.
  16. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

People here love dealer haha. It gets talked about quite a bit. They just massively massively upgraded with this one

17. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I actually prefer Dealer. Some of NMG just doesn’t work for me in comparison.

.K. and trevorshmevor like this.
  18. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

dealer and nmg are about the same for me. two absolutely stunning records from a band with so much talent its not even funny.

Nick, coleslawed, Cameron and 3 others like this.
  19. NMG is a really impressive and incredibly ambitious record, but Dealer is the straight up home run for me still. The whole thing works for me from front to back and creates more of an ambiance/atmosphere, which also makes it easier for me to reach for then NMG

20. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

Dealer is one whole ass vibe, NMG has a lot more stuff mixed in, I think generally NMG is going to do it more for people since it has a lot more going on, but YMMV

21. Osceola13

Bringin the ruckus

Good luck to Ricky

22. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Just saw :tear:

23. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh wow. I wish him nothing but the best but it’s definitely a bummer.

24. I wish him the best but this sucks.

25. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Bummer