Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Four Year Strong - Brain Pain (February 28, 2020) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by btr, Jan 13, 2020.

1. MattNCheeze

Trusted

Like I think they definitely topped Enemy with this

2. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Gotta listen but I really can’t imagine that

3. j0nnymarrzbar

Regular

GL to these guys trying to pull off some of these songs live.

Shaun likes this.
  4. MattNCheeze

Trusted

Seventeen is an early stand out for me.

CAC3, mattylikesfilms and dustman like this.
  5. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

topping eotw? intrigued.

6. trevorshmevor Feb 27, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 27, 2020)
    Went ahead and listened to the leak. This feels like the record ISWSOF would have been if it was a little more well baked and less of an overcorrection from the “easycore” sound they had going on Enemy. Very little here feels as hastily thrown together and there are definitely a few parts where they aren’t afraid to go both feet in on stuff they haven’t tried before (the intro of “It’s Cool”, the subdued chorus of “Seventeen”, their first genuine ballad of “Be Good...”). Unfortunately, this band excels when delivering great hooks and there’s almost none of that on here imo — Learn To Love The Lie is the winner there with nearly zero contest.

Beyond all that though, still pretty comfortable concluding that their general energy just isn’t really my thing anymore anyway. Was thinking there’d be a chance for this to enter the “outlier” territory that some records in this scene still reach for me, but I don’t think that’s gonna be the case here.

7. Shaun

cool dogs

Crazy Pills is like a nice mixing bowl of previous material. the opening riff feels straight off ISWSOF, but with a very pop punk chorus that to me feels as close to ROTD/EOTW as they've been in a while, and even the acoustic flourishes in the second verse with their flex of acoustic material over the last few years. think its quickly shot up as my fav of all on the record

j0nnymarrzbar likes this.
  8. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Digging this. Will be great for running and the gym. They seem dialed in through out this entire album too. The closer is amazing too. I actually dig that direction.

9. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Just listened this morning and this is where I’m at. Lots of interesting things they’re doing here, and is probably the closest extension of the riffing that reared it’s head on GDIH (EP). Even so, the hooks are just not quite there, and not a fan of the lyrics. Will listen at the gym solely, but primarily going to listen to Soccer Mommy all day instead.

A lot of this record seems to build upon what they were going for on The Sound of Your Heart, which was far and way the best song on the s/t.

GDIH - EOTW > RODT > BP > s/t > ISWSOF

trevorshmevor likes this.
  10. brad4846

Regular

Feels like a heavier ISWSOF and I love it

11. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

Came here to echo the sentiment.

12. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I love the video for Get Out Of My Head

Mark Connolly likes this.
  13. I’m pleasantly surprised by this.

14. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

^^^^

Download it if you're curious. Don't give them or the label money. Or just don't listen!

15. trevorshmevor Feb 28, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 28, 2020)
    Specifically why I listened to the leak haha. I’m not perfect Re: streaming PN releases, but this is for sure a case where the band is as implicated as the label.

sawhney[rusted]2 and OhTheWater like this.
  16. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah this is a pleasent surprise for sure

The singles are definitely the standouts but Crazy Pills, Seventeen, Worst Part of Me all stood out as well

Didn't really like the opener or closer but I think this is definitely ahead of the last record

17. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

The leak version actually sounds really good haha. If you're into the music and want to listen but don't wanna support financially...I def recommend just downloading the leak.

That said...the guitar nerd in me really likes a lot of the heavy guitar tones on the album. After a few listens, song for song, i'd say this is their most consistent album since EOTW. The thing is that the high points from previous albums are still way better and have better hooks than anything on this new one.

latortuga and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  18. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

very mad to say that this is very good

19. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Easily the stand out for me as well.

20. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

the riffs on this thing are outta this world, glad they took their time here to use their (admittedly limited) skillset in a fun and creative way.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  21. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Really digging this; lots of different styles/influences going on in the tracks

22. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Like a mix of Hit The Lights and A Day To Remember

23. btr

Trusted Supporter

This is great, glad we didn't get more of the same quality we have been.

24. MacbethSin

Regular

Huge smile at that outro on It's Cool they go ALL IN on different sounds on this thing. Huge improvement

25. Kuri44

This might be my favorite album by them. Also, just saw the music video for Talking Myself in Circles, super fun.