Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

For Laura Jane Grace, Punk Was A Form Of Armor

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Laura Jane Grace of Against Me! is on the latest episode of NPR’s Fresh Air podcast.

It was a form of expression, in a way, that I couldn’t express myself how I wanted to otherwise. And it also served as a form of armor, because when you’re wearing a big leather jacket with spikes on it and you’re charging out your hair with Knox gelatin, I mean, you’re like, arming yourself. I got beat up a lot, so that was something to kind of hold onto.

therookielot likes this.
  2. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

love this metaphor

3. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I feel this on a personal level. When I was a teenager I felt like, as a girl, I had to visually reaffirm my toughness to everyone so no one would think for a second I was weak and punk helped me do that without losing my femininity.

4. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

i don't know how she feels about it because it was from before she came out and began transitioning, but knowing her story makes the I Was a Teenage Anarchist video so much better. AM!'s later material definitely resonates more with me, but this gives me chills every time i watch it, because of how fundamentally her identity and determination to fight for it tie into the group's anarchism angle.

5. Terry Gross is the world's last great interviewer

skogsraet likes this.