Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Food • Page 1318

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Timmiluvs, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

Ribeyes with blue cheese butter and wedge salads were for dinner. Polishing off the wine now. Cheers.

2. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Thanks for the invite

alina and dadbolt like this.
  3. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

sorry you couldn’t make it

Ken likes this.
  4. Justice Beaver

Crime Fighting Beaver

I was there.

coleslawed, Ken, alina and 1 other person like this.
  5. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Made some baked cod with garlic, old bay, and a little olive oil tonight. So simple but always so good.

Ken, alina and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  6. marissalg

Trusted

Just tried Diamond Crystal kosher salt for the first time and I don’t think I can ever go back to the regular salt I was buying?

coleslawed, Texas Flood, Ken and 2 others like this.
  7. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

the gold standard for salt

8. lati

formerly spaghettti Supporter

Damn gotta make a note to buy that next time I need kosher salt

9. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I've been buying Morton's for years because that's what my family always had. Reading up on Diamond makes it seem like I should switch... I don't know if I will though.

coleslawed and alina like this.
  10. marissalg

Trusted

I’ve heard so many good things about Diamond that I thought I’d finally try it. It’s got such a clean taste to it. Not as strong as a Morton’s and it isn’t as sharp on your tongue.

Ken likes this.
  11. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Your post has forced me down a rabbit hole of reading about different types of salt lol

12. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

I started using it a couple years ago after reading so many articles/recipes raving about it and haven't looked back since. At one point during quarantine I couldn't find any at the store so bought a different brand (can't remember which) and it didn't feel right. Now that's my emergency backup salt

marissalg, Ken and alina like this.
  13. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

Diamond Crystal is the way to go.

14. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

All I ate throughout today was chicken quesadillas

15. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

The baked fries turned out way better this time, and the sandwich was as close to perfect as I’ve gotten it!
    8759A85C-B909-4D75-9DF9-3FEAF8B49FD3.jpeg

16. lati

Which recipe did you use for the sandwich?

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  17. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I didn’t use a specific one, sorry! It’s trying to recreate the DiNic’s roast pork in Philly, but just based on my memory of that sandwich and not the specific copycats that are out there.

The pork was originally roasted with onions, apples, and sweet potatoes and herbs. For this I sliced it very thinly while it was still cold, then heated it through in a pan with chicken stock, Marsala wine, and spices. The kale was pretty quickly sautéed with fresh garlic, red pepper, and lemon juice, then finished with red wine vinegar once it was cooked. I would prefer to use broccoli rabe but I can unfortunately never find it around here. The cheese was smoked Gouda, although normally I use sharp provolone. I actually liked that flavor combo and melt of the cheese a lot even if it wasn’t as close to their exact dish.

bigmike likes this.
  18. lati

Thank you so much for the details!! I have pork broth I want to use for roasting pork for a sandwich and this definitely helped for my future explorations!!

19. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

That would be the best!! I’ve have to use chicken or beef stock to make the liquid since I almost never have homemade pork broth on hand.

alina likes this.
  20. lati

Haha I made pork broth a month or so ago and honestly I’ve been struggling to use it. So few recipes use it so after you and @Ken talking about it I’ve decided that is its fate now

21. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Ok wait these are actually good

61ERL-IG9JL._SL1000_.jpg

marissalg and bigmike like this.
  22. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

I need to look into those. Being on a diet while also having an ice cream addiction is not working out so great.

23. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I found a flyer of the Greek-run pizza place I used to order from when I lived in Germany more than a decade ago. What an aesthetic. If you look closely you can see that I wrote “Akropolis” on there because that is the messed up Gyros pizza I used to order.

4AE88EB8-B90A-435B-A485-798FAAFF325C.jpeg

riotspray and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  24. lati

Familien pizza blech!

25. The Lucky Moose Jul 5, 2020
    (Last edited: Jul 5, 2020)
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I found another one. I never ordered from them but the flyer is amazing. Notice the bucket underneath the table with the fish platter on it in the top left picture.

AEA696FB-3DF7-4547-94AF-9236565D7AB6.jpeg

The area of Germany I used to live in at the time is this huge conurbation made up by lot of cities that more or less went through the same things as America's rust belt. A lot of things still look like this there.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.