Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Food • Page 1263

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Timmiluvs, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I typically do what @LightWithoutHeat said but I add more garlic (personal preference). Also a tip my Grandma always had was tossing in a tiny bit of sugar.

2. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

don't let any italians hear about you adding sugar!
    you can also use carrots or onions to get some sweetness without adding sugar if you want to

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.
  3. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Funny thing, she was Italian. She always said her mom would kill her if she found out haha

4. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Chunky pasta sauce for life.

phaynes12, Texas Flood and Ken like this.
  5. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Yoooooo. I keep telling my girlfriend that all I’m craving at the moment is just the grossest cheap greasy little Caesars deep dish cause it’s reminds me of being 19 and playing halo until 5 am and I need that comfort at the moment but we’re both lactose intolerant.

coleslawed, SEANoftheDEAD and Ken like this.
  6. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Got lazy last night so the pork sandwiches are happening today. Tomorrow is probably when I’ll cook the turkey and then just cycle through different leftovers and that for a bit.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  7. Thanks very much. I saw that Hazan one in my research earlier and was thinking of that being a good place to start. About how much sauce does that make? I was thinking of trying to make a good size batch to save/store in an old pasta container for a few meals.

Ken, bigmike and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  8. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

keep your thin sauces the FUCK AWAY FROM ME

coleslawed, SEANoftheDEAD and bigmike like this.
  9. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I use two cans of tomato’s and yield enough for probably four meals, depending on what I use it for. I make my pasta sauce and use it as a base for pizza too.

Jason Tate likes this.
  10. spreadthehummus2321

wanna go for a ryyyde

its BURRITO time

11. Renee

dry clean only Prestigious

if anyone wants to use their precious vodka in a sauce, this is delicious and really easy to make.
    i tweaked it from here: The World’s Greatest Penne ala Vodka
    Ingredients
    • 1 onion
    • 3-6 cloves garlic
    • 3 shots vodka
    • 1/4 cup olive oil
    • 1/4 pound prosciutto (optional)
    • 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
    • 1 14oz can diced tomatoes, drained (optional, beefs up the sauce a bit)
    • 2 small cans tomato paste
    • 3/4-1 qt heavy cream (or you can use a combination of light and heavy cream, half and half works too) (i haven't tried this with any kind of milk, plant or animal, but i assume it will make the sauce thinner)
    • 1 small bunch of fresh basil, chopped (dried from a jar works fine too. i usually just shake the container and get a light sprinkle over the surface of the sauce)
    • salt and pepper to taste
    • 1 stick butter
    • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
    Directions
    • Chop onion and garlic and cook in olive oil until soft.
    • Add prosciutto and cook for a few minutes. (or skip)
    • Form mixture into a circle with a hole in the middle, pour vodka in the center of the circle and allow to cook off (about 5 minutes). **Pour vodka into a shot glass or other wide-rimmed container before pouring into the pot. Never pour alcohol directly from a bottle into a hot pan. It is flammable and there is a chance that flames could find there way into the bottle and cause it to explode.
    • Add cans of crushed tomatoes and diced to mixture.
    • Add cream and tomato paste, stir until combined and hot. (add cream slowly while stirring)
    • Chop approximately 5 basil leaves and add to the sauce. (Save additional basil leaves for garnish.)
    • Add cheese and butter and simmer over low heat for approximately 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
    • Season with salt and pepper to taste. About 1-2 tsp of each should be good.
    Serve over penne pasta. This dish pairs nicely with steamed asparagus or peas.
    The sauce will keep for a few days in the refrigerator if you don’t put it on the pasta. (Pasta with the sauce already on it does not reheat well.)

it makes a lot of sauce

coleslawed, Ken, alina and 1 other person like this.
  12. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

If you use a dairy alternative for sauces, I find that adding a few table spoons of nutritional yeast will thicken it up, though I know most people don’t tend to have that on hand.

13. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

This is such a great tip!! I found that we have cashew and almond milk in the pantry and I’m wondering if it will need to be used in some cooking in case we can’t get dairy during some of this. I wouldn’t have thought to add that on my own.

Also the sandwiches I made are perfect and helped my mood a ton.

Ken, Your Milkshake and bigmike like this.
  14. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

My girlfriend just made some killer tempeh tacos

15. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

did al pastor beef fajitas tonight prob the best I’ve ever done them

Ken, BlueEyesBrewing, bigmike and 4 others like this.
  16. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Smash burgers tonight, they were great as usual. Just needed better buns, might need to learn to make my own

17. kassie09

Regular

I made the most bangin mushroom risotto but it photographed.. extremely poorly.

18. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

This sounds like something I’d like to try. You have a recipe?

19. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

marinade overnight in pineapple juice, chili paste, and garlic. cook on stove top. really simple.

20. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

What cut of beef did you use?

21. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I just grabbed a flank - def needs to be marinaded for a while

Ken and Anthony Brooks like this.
  22. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Thanks!

Your Milkshake likes this.
  23. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

If you’re making pasta, i would expect 4-6 servings, for every 28oz can of tomatoes.

bigmike and Jason Tate like this.
  24. [​IMG]

Thanks!

coleslawed, bigmike and Ken like this.
  25. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

tacos and elotes tonight

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.