Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Food • Page 1262

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Timmiluvs, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

B58360D4-9117-4588-9C15-4ED347232BE8.jpeg
    my incredible fiancé made this Detroit style sausage pizza yesterday. Recipe from the zingermans bakehouse cookbook. 10/10.

2. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

3. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Ken likes this.
  4. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

man, I want to try Detroit style pizza so bad but I don't know anywhere around me that makes it

Anthony Brooks, SEANoftheDEAD and Ken like this.
  5. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

@BlueEyesBrewing Do you have a Target near you? The ones in my area carry a brand called Outsiders Pizza Company that makes frozen Detroit style pizzas.

coleslawed, Ken and BlueEyesBrewing like this.
  6. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

gonna have to look for it and try it when i can go to stores again!

Ken likes this.
  7. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

@Ken do you make your own fries??

Mr. Serotonin and Ken like this.
  8. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.
  9. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Had a nightmare last night that I began a sourdough starter but someone came in and ruined it on the first day, so clearly I need to start baking this week.

Ken and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  10. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

made stuffed poblanos yesterday that were :fire:

11. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

The ones in the cheesesteak picture look fantastic. I make homemade fries here and there but they never turn out quite restaurant quality.

Mr. Serotonin and Ken like this.
  12. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Those are actually these:
    [​IMG]
    What's your technique for making them in the oven? or do you deep fry?

13. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Oh sweet Ill have to look out for those. I typically just hand cut them, soak em in water for awhile and then let dry. Toss in some oil, season and then oven bake or air fry. I REALLY need to try deep frying them, I know thats the way to get em right.

Ken likes this.
  14. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

gotta fry them twice too, once at a lower temp and once at a higher temp. a lot of places will tell you to boil them slightly before frying too, so they're thrice cooked

15. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I do basically the same thing as you but have had pretty good results. Do you preheat your sheet-tray/pan? I find that helps. I salt the water that the fries soak in, but don't salt the fries until they're fully cooked and out of the oven. Making sure that they're bone-dry before they go in the oven helps too.

I've read of people who par-boil their fries before roasting but that seems unnecessary to me if you're already soaking them.

16. Anyone have a really good, simple, homemade marinara sauce recipe? Feel like being stuck at home this would be one useful (and easy) thing to teach myself ... would love to see/read everyone's favorites.

SEANoftheDEAD and Ken like this.
  17. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Mine always turn out pretty good, I just to know that to get them to the next level, I gotta fry em up. Pun intended. I haven't tried salting the water they soak in and typically they're still a little moist, so I gotta make sure they're super dry next time too.

Ken likes this.
  18. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

The simplest tomato sauce that I can highly recommend to you is Marcella Hazan's.
    -1 28oz can of whole, peeled tomatoes (preferably San Marzano)
    -1/2 stick of unsalted butter
    -1 onion, peeled, and cut in half
    -Salt to taste

Add all of the ingredients to a pot and let that simmer for about an hour. The recipe calls for you to pull the onion out, which I would do if it's only been cut in half and you want a smooth sauce. You could also dice the onions for a chunkier sauce.
    Marcella Hazan’s Tomato Sauce Recipe

That's not a true marinara, but it's one of my favorite tomato sauces and has many applications.

You can add garlic, crushed red pepper, roasted peppers, olives, etc. to make that sauce your own. It's a tremendous starting point.

Here's more of a classic marinara:
    Classic Marinara Sauce Recipe

This is a great pomodoro sauce:
    Making Scarpetta's Tomato-Basil Spaghetti with Scott Conant

If you need access to any of these sauces (as they're behind a paywall), let me know.

coleslawed, alina, Joe and 5 others like this.
  19. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

1 28oz can crushed tomatoes (if using whole, crush them by hand beforehand)
    2-3 cloves of garlic
    olive oil
    1/2 stick of butter
    salt + pepper to taste

Line the bottom of a sauce pan with olive oil. You want a good amount. dice up garlic and put in sauce pan. Turn on heat to medium/medium high. once garlic starts to get a golden color, add the entire contents of the can + a little water in the can to get all the rest and give a quick stir. Bring this to a lively simmer. Add butter and let it sit for a couple minutes. Stir in butter and cook sauce at an aggressive simmer for 30 minutes (it should be bubbling but not exploding out of the sauce pan. Use a cover if you need to). Stir occasionally. Near the end start to season with salt to taste. You will need to add a decent amount to cut through the butter and acidity of tomatoes, so just add until it tastes good. Maybe a 1/2 tablespoon or so. Add pepper and taste.

That will make a nice rich sauce that you can use for pasta, or on bread, or anything.

Also, listen to whatever Ken recommends.

coleslawed, Joe, phaynes12 and 2 others like this.
  20. LightWithoutHeat

Hahaha, damn.

Jason Tate and Ken like this.
  21. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Frying is definitely the way to go. I wonder if roasting them at a lower temperature and then blasting them at a high temperature would produce better results. Sort of like the two-stages of frying that the best fries typically go through.

22. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

this sounds delicious!

23. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

also, toss your pasta with the sauce at the end of it's cooking time (the last minute or so) with some of the starchy pasta water. i make a quick version of rigatoni al segreto probably twice a month. Let the tomato sauce simmer while the pasta is cooking then toss it all together at the end, add a little butter and cheese off heat, and it is divine

coleslawed, LightWithoutHeat and Ken like this.
  24. LightWithoutHeat

Thanks! My mom set me straight on a simple sauce a year or so ago and this was her method. Obviously very similar to the Marcella Hazan recipe. I had struggled for a long time to get a good sauce and she showed me the key was HEAT. I was always very timid with the heat and she just let it rip. Made all the difference in the world.

BlueEyesBrewing and Ken like this.
  25. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

yes to this!
    Rigatoni al Segreto (Rigatoni with Secret Sauce) Recipe
    al segreto is bang-bang

BlueEyesBrewing likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.