Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Food • Page 1189

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Timmiluvs, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

Seems pretty smart to me.

Ken and coleslawed like this.
  2. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Man, just think of the price after the tariffs on Mexico start

Ken likes this.
  3. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

This lil local coffee stand by my old work has avocado toast and I swear theirs tastes better than mine. And I know it's just bread, butter, avo, salt and pepper. I wouldn't buy theirs often cause it's not economical, but it was perfect when I had a migraine and needed something quick and delish before work. And it definitely was nawt $10

4. marissalg

Trusted

My favorite “expensive” piece of toast. They do a great avocado toast too but the housemate ricotta with jam is killer.

coleslawed and K0ta like this.
  5. K0ta Jun 5, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 5, 2019)
    K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

Fresh ricotta is so much better than you expect it to be so I bet that toast is bomb.

Actually my mom used to make me toast with fresh ricotta and salt and pepper, sounds so simple but DELICIOUS.

iCarly Rae Jepsen, marissalg and Ken like this.
  6. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

There's so many people on instagram who make avocado toast or toast in general and people go bananas for that type of content. I just don't get it haha. (Don't get me started on bowls.) /rant

Avocado toast always feels like such a ripoff. It's typically super overpriced and the few times I've had it, it's never been executed very well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

StuffinCups and SEANoftheDEAD like this.
  7. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Agreed. I don't think I'd ever pay to have it somewhere (unless its like <$4.)

I make it at home sometimes and it makes for a great lunch. I do go overboard with the toppings though lol

Ken likes this.
  8. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

It's so easy and cheap to make at home. Paying more than a few dollars for it feels insulting. One time I tried a piece of avocado toast that had lobster and egg on it. Well. The egg was hard-boiled and the lobster meat was previously frozen. :cringe:

9. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

whaaaat. I thought freezing lobster meat was illegal in 50 states :teethsmile:

dadbolt and Ken like this.
  10. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

This place is now out of business lol

StuffinCups and SEANoftheDEAD like this.
  11. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

okay so i guess i'm responsible for my friend's bachelorette party/dinner for 10 people (last minute fun stuff!). she mentioned she wanted seafood or something like a seafood boil. 1) hell no i'm not buying seafood for a party of 10 2) that is a crazy amount of effort. 3) my gf is vegan and this doesn't really give her many options.

so i'm trying to figure out whats a little more cost efficient and easier. i was thinking reverse searing some steak with some sautéed shrimp and a bunch of sides that my gf can have such as green beans, corn, potatoes, and mac and cheese? there will be a grill there, so that sounds feasible but do yall have any other ideas?

12. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

What about something like a low-country boil? Relatively inexpensive for feeding a large group and not too much work. And then maybe some grilled whole fish for everyone to pick at and a bunch of vegan side dishes so there are plenty of options and your gf won't be left without anything to eat.

Also, everyone going to the party should be chipping in to cover the costs of the food and such no?

13. Arry

you would think? Apparently the friend that is planning it is distributing tasks for everyone. such as one person is in charge of making drinks and a 'signature cocktail' (ugh) for the entire weekend and another is making breakfast the next morning. but i feel like i got the short end of the stick but that's another rant..

low country sounds good.. i don't know, i also thought about doing crab cakes and a bunch of sides and serving it buffet style.

Ken likes this.
  14. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Can it be like snacks? If yes you could make good fried fish out of cheap stuff, as well as vegan ones

Arry and Ken like this.
  15. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

crab cakes will get expensive very very very quickly if you use good crab meat. I like the low country boil idea.

You could also take the easy way and do a big batch of a seafood (maybe clam) chowder/stew. A cold seafood preparation would be really easy too. Think carpaccio, tartare, or sashimi but again, that gets expensive fast if you use nice tuna or salmon. Maybe a ceviche with white fish or shrimp would be a good way to go.

16. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Yeah, this is a good idea. You could make a ton of grilled or fried fish and setup a taco bar so people can serve themselves.

17. Arry

is seafood boil and low country boil the same thing? pretty much boiling seafood in a seasoned water?

i'm def going to costco for seafood so i'm not going for A grade quality lol sorry friends! i'm just trying to keep it at a minimum because we're also having to pay for dinner at a seafood restaurant on saturday night

tacos do sound good too, and super easy

ooo wait make your own poke bowls. i can marinade it in some tuna or salmon and they can top their bowls with their own fixin's

coleslawed and Ken like this.
  18. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I believe they're the same, although I'd suggest using beer for your boil.

Poke bowl idea is awesome. Whatever you do, try to make it so that you can do a lot of prep, but little actual cooking.

StuffinCups, coleslawed and Arry like this.
  19. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Taco bar is a good idea.

They're similar. Lo-country is just shrimp/crawfish and then potatoes, sausage (usually andoullie i believe), and corn in a spiced water. I saw Sean Brock make it on an episode of Mind of a Chef and looked really good and have wanted to make it for a long time now haha

20. Arry

thanks guys! i just want to get stoned and chill on the beach tbh so low country boil seems low effort lol... i could probably make some garlic "whole shebang" butter sauce like you get at the vietnamese/cajun shops. crawfish might be hard to get here, but i think dungeness/snow crab are in season

SEANoftheDEAD and Ken like this.
  21. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I just cooked some Beyond Burgers on my cast iron skillet. I am impressed.

coleslawed and DaveyA89 like this.
  22. Justice Beaver

Crime Fighting Beaver

I definitely spent the last week thinking that the A1 Thread was the Food thread and I was like "I am so out of place here now."

23. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Half the time it turns into the food thread, but only for arguments

coleslawed, Ken and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  24. Justice Beaver

Crime Fighting Beaver

McDonald's, what is this international food items garbage you're trying to peddle?

I feel a food review forthcoming.

Ken and BlueEyesBrewing like this.
  25. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

do it

StuffinCups and coleslawed like this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.