Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Food • Page 1188

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Timmiluvs, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. The Lucky Moose Jun 3, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 3, 2019)
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

When I was a kid for a time we somewhat ate pasta with butter and aromat (see below). I loved it. I have since realized that we were probably saving money lol

“Aromat is the brand name of a general-purpose seasoning produced in Switzerlandand South Africa under the brand name Knorr, which is owned by the Unilever group. Packaging is generally a red plastic bottle with a yellow label bearing its name in green lettering, but it is also now sold in yellow bottles. It is marketed predominantly in Europeand in South Africa, although is also known to be marketed in Australia, Hong Kong and parts of the Middle East.”

Aromat - Wikipedia

74E4123E-9060-4481-9A96-C38FD99F3314.jpeg

2. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

One of my favorite comfort foods that my wife introduced me to is Annie's White Cheddar Mac 'n Cheese with sliced hot dogs and lots of black pepper

Ken and aoftbsten like this.
  3. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

You can do it! I make rice several times a week in a small pot. I get a decent boil going and immediately cover the pot and put the heat on very low, usually around the first notch above the lowest on my gas burner. I let mine sit for a very, very long time after the suggested cooking time, so all the moisture can continue to absorb into the rice. I try to find a happy place between there being enough heat so that I see the steam coming out of the pot, but not so much that the liquid bubbles up over the edge of the pot. If I don't see steam, I'll bump the heat up just the slightest amount. Once I find that happy medium, I let it sit for the the remainder of timer to the second. When the timer goes, the heat goes off, and it sits for about 10-15 minutes and then I *usually* have perfectly cooked rice when it comes out.

idk if that helps or if I sound like an idiot, but I hope you get back up on that rice wagon.

4. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Annie's mac & cheese is the best you can get in a box, IMO. I do this too, but instead of hot dogs I'll cook some small pork chops or loin slices with cajun seasoning, chop them into bite sized chunks, and then throw some steamed broccoli into it at the end too.

StuffinCups and BlueEyesBrewing like this.
  5. The Lucky Moose

I like how we’ve firmly entered struggle plate territory

Arry and Ken like this.
  6. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I doubt you're in that territory if you're nailing risotto!

That's my friend though. He told me he's secretly competing against me on instagram and I'm confused because it's never been a competition to me... not only that, but we're not really in the same league.

StuffinCups and The Lucky Moose like this.
  7. My mom used to always make fried rice with chopped up hot dogs in it ha.

8. The Lucky Moose

I don’t want to brag I swear but I kind of actually believe I make the literal best risotto lmao

Ken likes this.
  9. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

I think this thread just proves how great hot dogs are

Arry, The Lucky Moose and Ken like this.
  10. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

what kind do you make?

StuffinCups likes this.
  11. The Lucky Moose

Usually regular, saffron, tomato or mushroom, but really it’s always the same process, though tomato risotto the way I was taught to make it takes an annoyingly long time to make

Ken likes this.
  12. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

please elaborate on the tomato risotto!

13. The Lucky Moose

It’s nothing special really, you just have to add a good quality can of peeled tomatoes of some sort at some point in the process. I don’t exactly understand why but somehow that lengths the whole process a lot more than one would think it should.

I use cherry tomatoes, but my mom usually uses Roma tomatoes and crushes them up a little. I probably wouldn’t used diced ones though.

You can use fresh tomatoes too but at that point you’re making a different kind of tomato risotto.

Ken likes this.
  14. The Lucky Moose

My mom taught me to make Risotto the way they make it in Ticino (the Italian part of Switzerland), where it is one of the most important types of food alongside polenta. I have then started combining the technique they use with a more “mainstream” Italian technique that uses more stirring. So a hybrid technique really. Somehow that works for me.

Ken likes this.
  15. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

what's the difference in techniques? just more or less stirring?

StuffinCups likes this.
  16. The Lucky Moose

I would just tell you but I can’t find the English word lol

It’s a Swiss word. I can’t even think of a regular German word so I can’t Google a translation, haha. Let me try to explain: The Ticino technique as I was taught it involves carefully lifting the lower layers of the in-progress risotto to the top whenever you add new liquid. You do this only a few times though and then let it boil on until you again add new liquid. Most other techniques I’m aware of (and the one’s I usually see in books) involve more or less continuous, thorough stirring. I kind of ended up combining the two because the actual Ticino technique makes it burning more likely, at least if you’re clumsy like me, but I ended up liking the result and even my mom grudgingly agreed lol

Ken likes this.
  17. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

thanks for the insight! I had no idea there was a different way of approaching it.

18. The Lucky Moose

No problem. I'm a proud ambassador for all cuisines from the alps lol

Petit nain des Îles and Ken like this.
  19. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

It's been so long since I've been the Alps. :tear: I need to return.

StuffinCups likes this.
  20. The Lucky Moose

same, sadly lol

Ken likes this.
  21. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

If anyone is interested in this fact, it takes me four days to eat a strawberry rhubarb pie by myself

sean_rugy, dadbolt, Arry and 2 others like this.
  22. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

some hipster doofus "health" smoothie / snack place opened up a few stores down from my office and they sell a PIECE of toast with avocado spread on it for 10 fucking bucks. it's not a sandwich, it's a PIECE of toast. for $10. hilarious.

riotspray and Ken like this.
  23. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Sounds about right, unfortunately haha

StuffinCups likes this.
  24. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Does it have an egg or anything else?

25. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

One of my coworkers got it and she said no, just a piece of toast with some avocado spread on it. She said the pic in the place made it look like a sandwich because they cut the PIECE in half and stack it like a sandwich. Such fuckers lol

Ken likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.