Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Food • Page 1187

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Timmiluvs, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

I usually do some sort of simple pasta dish most weeks, usually either a quick tomato sauce one based on rigatoni al segreto from food wishes or this alla gricia one from serious eats
    Pasta alla Gricia Recipe
    Other ones I make a lot are:
    -basic fish tacos with a bag of microwaved rice and a corn salsa I make. Sometimes just the basic beef/chicken ones from the box.
    -pan fried salmon or grilled chicken with bag of rice and bag of Cesar salad
    -pizza with store bought dough
    -simple burgers, either smashed or grilled if the weather is nice
    -buff-chicken quesadillas using frozen chicken fingers heated first in the microwave before adding to the quesadilla

I like the cajun seasoning idea

2. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I've been in this rut too. Last week I made a Mexican stromboli for the first time. Shredded chicken/jalapeno/black beans/corn/cilantro/pepper jack/all the fixings. Was fast/simple to make. Nothing fancy, but delicious.

Ken and BlueEyesBrewing like this.
  3. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Seriously which word would you use for what you do to e.g. garlic before putting in the tomatoes when you would make a tomato sauce? If I translate our term, it would be "frying", but I know that usually means something different (i.e. frying something in a fryer or in a pain with a lot of oil), something for which we have a whole separate word. I keeping seeing "cooking" but that seems too vague, haha.

Ken likes this.
  4. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

rigatoni al segreto is the shit. I love that you mentioned that haha.

Does your family like mushrooms? Sauteeing chicken breasts, searing some mushrooms, then sweating some shallots + garlic, and then adding a splash of vermouth or wine + stock then reducing, maybe with a touch of flour. Is a dish we make pretty regularly that comes together fast. Can microwave some frozen green beans or whatever veggie you like to go with it.

StuffinCups likes this.
  5. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

well you could sautée the garlic, small amount of fat over high heat, or sweat it. Sweating it just means that you're softening it by cooking on a low heat with a small amount of fat.

6. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

I think saute is the word you're looking for?

Ken and The Lucky Moose like this.
  7. The Lucky Moose

YES. I thought it was that one but then I looked up tomato sauce recipes to make sure and they kept using "cook" :crylaugh:

BlueEyesBrewing and Ken like this.
  8. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

This looks good!
    I've just started getting into capers lately so I like this idea. Thanks!

This looks a lot better than it initially sounded when I read the headline haha. Definitely like how simple and few ingredients it has. Thanks!

I probably make al segreto at least twice a month, if not more. Always have the ingredients on hand so I can fall back on it if nothing else.

My wife loves mushrooms, I don't really like eating like whole ones but love the flavor they can add to a dish. I like this idea, thanks!

Ken and The Lucky Moose like this.
  9. The Lucky Moose

Most of my reading is done in English, except for cooking related stuff because the measurements make me want to die, so I hardly ever see those words lol

gonz (Alex), BlueEyesBrewing and Ken like this.
  10. The Lucky Moose

Interestingly enough, although it is like 50% capers, it's kinda subtle. I'm not a huge capers guy but I love this.

Ken likes this.
  11. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

the nice thing about the mushroom idea is that you if you use marsala it becomes chicken marsala or madeira if you have that. white wine or vermouth work beautifully too.

You could always get some sirloins or a cheaper cut of steak and take some frozen fries and make a maitre d'hotel butter or a blue cheese butter or a quick red wine reduction for a fancier but still quick weeknight meal.

Another quick weeknight meal I like to make is a deconstructed cordon bleu. Roast some new potatoes. Once they're in the oven, sear some chicken breasts, top them with ham (or prosciutto lol), then whatever cheese you have swiss/provolone/whatever, broil that for a few minutes. Dress some arugula or other greens with lemon juice, olive oil, s+p... maybe some cherry tomatoes or parm if you have it on hand. Potatoes underneath/on the side. Top with chicken breast. Finish with salad on top.

12. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

speaking of capers. chicken picatta would be a super easy and fast weeknight recipe to bang out.

StuffinCups and BlueEyesBrewing like this.
  13. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I think a lot of websites just use "cooking" as a catch-all term and don't differentiate between methods.

Some websites are starting to get better at using metric measurements and using weight instead of volume in baking recipes for the dry ingredients. Serious Eats does for all their main recipes at least

The Lucky Moose and Ken like this.
  14. The Lucky Moose

Mushrooms and marsala or madeira or port go great together.I often eat mushrooms in a port/marsala/madeira sauce with risotto.

15. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Ooooh, definitely like that cordon bleu idea. I love chicken cordon bleu but hardly ever have it. If I see it on a menu at a restaurant I almost always will get it haha

Ken likes this.
  16. The Lucky Moose

I few years I went to this dreary German town for my business and had to go to a restaurant I did not want to go to, but ended up having the best cordon bleau and generally one of the best meals of my life lol it was wild. I kept ordering food and the other people thought I’m crazy lol

17. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

my mom would buy ramen packages in bulk and then we would buy veggies or meat to spice up the ramen packs. bean sprouts, mushrooms, eggs, different sauces you have, pho meatballs, etc. also dry noodle salads with some soy, sugar, sesame oil + paste, chili, cilantro, garlic and a bunch of veggies to toss. i used to also pack crock pot meals in the freezer and then dump it into the pot before i go to work and i'll come home to some pot roast or pulled pork. also a lot of rice and eggs! one of my favorites

18. The Lucky Moose

I want to eat more rice but have an unreasonable aversion towards cooking rice and my girlfriend won’t allow me to get a rice cooker :( lol

19. The Lucky Moose

Btw, of course various variations of fried rice are also fast, easy, healthy and delicious

Ken likes this.
  20. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

why do you have such an aversion?

StuffinCups likes this.
  21. The Lucky Moose

I often used to either let it burn or it boil over when I was a teenager and somehow that still drags me down, haha. Hence unreasonoble. I make risotto all the time though.

Arry and Ken like this.
  22. Arry

lol oh nooooooo. i'd feel empty if i didn't have a rice cooker. i just love rice so much. i used to eat just hot dogs with rice lol

The Lucky Moose and Ken like this.
  23. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

just hot dogs... and rice?

StuffinCups likes this.
  24. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

I know it's no match for fresh cooked rice but those Knorr flavored rice packages are decent and so easy to make for $.99

Ken likes this.
  25. Arry

not like cold hot dogs, but yes lol. maybe some sriracha in there sometimes

Ken likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.