Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Food • Page 1179

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Timmiluvs, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Most def. Making homemade pizzas is all about experimentation. The one thing that always bugs me is I can never get the actual crust to taste as good as any good pizza joints. I wish I knew how they did it!

Ken likes this.
  2. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Very hot ovens

3. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

this was store bought crust
    Have you ever gotten dough from an actual pizza shop? I've always wanted to try that. Next time I want to sprinkle a little semolina on the bottom of the crust too.

I think part of the problem is that my oven only goes to 500. I want to get a pizza stone and put it on my grill and jack it to 600+. That might be the best way to make a pizza at home.

4. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

I want to get one of those "portable" pizza ovens like the Uni so bad so I can get the temp up to 800-1000 but I can't justify spending that kind of money just to make pizza every once in a while

SEANoftheDEAD and Ken like this.
  5. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I usually buy my dough from the grocery too. It's not canned or anything - its the kind that comes in a bag and has a pizza shop name on it. I wanna try getting it from a shop too though.

I do have a pizza stone and the last few times I've made pizza, I've left the stone in my oven at 500 for about a half hour. Made the pizza on my counter than transferred it with a taper.

That's a good idea though with using the grill. I think you're right

Ken likes this.
  6. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

you could make wings too ;-)

7. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Get good at it and sell pizzas outta your house haha

coleslawed, BlueEyesBrewing and Ken like this.
  8. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Haha both great ideas

Ken likes this.
  9. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I think my next house needs an outdoor pool with an outdoor kitchen that has a giant wood fired oven.

10. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

The city I live in is getting this pretty sweet food hall in the downtown area. I've been wanting one of these for awhile. It opens today and I'm STOKED

• Spark'd, a creative pastry shop specializing in all-day baked goods, coffee and special-occasion cakes
    • Connie's Chicken & Waffles, a Baltimore favorite that is thrilled to expand into Wilmington
    • Pizzeria Bardea, a James Beard semifinalist with Neapolitan-inspired pies and farm-to-table salads
    • Phubs, serving Vietnamese pho, banh-mi subs and rice bowls
    • The Verandah, an Indian street food outpost for samosas, kabab wraps, chaats, parathas and tikki masala
    • Stripp'd, offering smoothies, juices, acai bowls and salads
    • Al Chu's Sushi, sushi and poke—and a triumphant return—from a Wilmington legend
    • The Pop-Up, or "test kitchen," which will serve as a home to a rotating roster of chef-tenants that will change biweekly to monthly throughout the year. The first tenant of The Pop-Up will be Dan Sheridan and the Locale BBQ Post, with barbecue sandwiches and classic sides.

11. marissalg

Trusted

Late to the sub discussion but I truly feel bad for people that don’t have a wegmans close to them bc wegmans subs are great. Also wegmans is the best grocery store.

j0hnnyrt and Ken like this.
  12. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Wegman's is the best.

marissalg and Ken like this.
  13. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Yes. Wegman's is the best grocery store. Going there tomorrow and I'm gonna spend way too much money.

14. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Yep. Usually go there because I need 2 things and end up with a $100 grocery bill :crylaugh:

Ken likes this.
  15. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Only $100? I'm impressed haha.

StuffinCups and SEANoftheDEAD like this.
  16. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

LOL sorry we can't all be ballers Ken

Ken likes this.
  17. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Haha I'm not balling out, trust me. My problem is that Wegman's is a 30-40 minute trip for me. So I'll go for my whole weekly grocery order and then I'll buy a couple of items I can't get locally, like halibut or something and then my bill balloons. It's brutal.

StuffinCups and SEANoftheDEAD like this.
  18. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

haha I hear ya. I'm lucky I have one close by or else it'd be the same deal for me. My downfall is Wegman's and Trader Joe's are right by each other so it's always a double whammy of great food and credit card trauma

Ken likes this.
  19. The Lucky Moose Apr 18, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 18, 2019)
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Ken likes this.
  20. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

pizza steel and 500+ oven preheated for like 45 mins with the rack close to the broiler

now i want pizza

21. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

FCBFB491-A9C9-4FF5-9C25-EF2B139AEB1B.jpeg Live posting rn

Ken likes this.
  22. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

do you broil or just let the residual heat of the broiler aid in cooking the top?

StuffinCups likes this.
  23. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

depends on how thick my crust is. if i use a Neapolitan style pizza dough, i'll let it cook for about 1-2 mins at 550 or so and then turn on the broiler on high and let the crust get color for another a min or two. if i use a thicker store bought dough, i'll let it sit in the 550 degree oven for a little longer then i'll broil for color

this article helped me loads:
    https://www.chefsteps.com/activitie...me-with-joe-heffernan-of-independent-pizzeria

24. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

this is awesome, thanks so much.

StuffinCups and Arry like this.
  25. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

This is exactly what I need. I've never actually turned on the broiler when cooking a pizza but will def try this next time. I mentioned earlier how I can't figure out how to get the crust to turn out good - I think this is it.

Arry likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.