Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Food • Page 1157

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Timmiluvs, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

it won't be the same as a deep fryer, but it will be much better than a regular oven and somewhat better than a convection oven.

riotspray and Arry like this.
  2. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

got a Nutribullet for Christmas and made FOUR smoothies for myself on Tuesday, love this little thing and it'll help me get some more nutrition in me. I'm pretty good, but it can always be better.

dash64 and Ken like this.
  3. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

sean_rugy likes this.
  4. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

haha great reference and trust me any thinner and I'd be in danger.

Ken likes this.
  5. Henry

Moderator Moderator

6. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

went to Carl’s Jr. to try the new beyond famous star burger and my final review is it was ok. There is other vegan options around town that are more enjoyable and price wise.

although it’s cool they got this option now.

7. marissalg

Trusted

Made pasta for the first time ever today. It wasn’t that hard with the KitchenAid and it was sooo good.

8. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Ken likes this.
  9. Ken Jan 14, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 14, 2019)
    Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I decided to make a loaded cauliflower soup... similar to a loaded baked potato soup, but low-carb. I crisped up some lardons. Then sweated a carrot, 2 stalks of celery, 1 onion, and 2 cloves of garlic in that bacon fat. Next I added two bags of frozen cauliflower rice and sweated those as well. I added a bay leaf, fresh thyme, and 4 cups of low-sodium chicken stock. Let that reduce for an hour and hit it with the immersion blender until it was velvety smooth. Tonight I'm going to cook that down a little more, add some heavy cream, then add some fresh cauliflower chunks for the last 15 minutes or so and I'm garnishing it with bacon, sharp cheddar, and chives. I never thought that I'd make a soup from scratch like this so confidently or easily, but here I am. The few tastes I had last night were so good. I need to make more soups from scratch, without a recipe.

10. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Hahaha, I literally just came in here to talk about this. I just got one a couple week ago and I've been playing with it non-stop. Takes a little getting used to, but once you get the hang on it, it's pretty awesome. There's a lots of website and a subreddit with some good tips/recipes. I've learned that not going too high with the temperature, and shaking/flipping your food throughout the cook cycle will help immensely.

Anything frozen like chicken fingers, fries, fish sticks are great in the air fryer. Will crisp stuff up better than the oven, and in just a few minutes. I've also roasted vegetables (brussel sprouts, asparagus, potatoes, root veggies) just toss them in a little olive oil and salt and pepper before putting them in. Cooked a burger and it came out juicy with a light char on the outside.

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.
  11. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Totally agree - it took me a few tries (burned some fried pickles, made rock hard fries/nuggets) to figure it out. But totally agree that lower heat and shaking are both life savers.

I made some bacon brussel sprouts that came in the recipe book that came with my fryer and they were amazing. Also tried homemade chips, fried chicken, pretzel crusted chicken and fish and they were all amazing. Def gotta try making a burger!

riotspray likes this.
  12. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Basically what Ken said. A convection oven is the best comparison. You can 100% make crispy wings in an air fryer, but nothing can really replicate deep frying. Although it comes closer than anything else.

Arry, Ken and SEANoftheDEAD like this.
  13. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I have to try breading something myself and "frying" it. I did make bacon and it was surprisingly easy/fast/easy to clean up. I've been lining the bottom of mine with foil and it's been a life saver.

I've got the NuWave Brio
    NuWave Brio Healthy Digital Air Fryer
    What model air fryer do you have?

Ken and SEANoftheDEAD like this.
  14. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Most def gotta try it. It's alotta fun experimenting with battering yourself. I was all about making some fried pickles but they ended up coming out super hard lol. I wanna try that again.

I hear the NuWave's are good, how do you like it? I got a Chefman 3.5 liter off of Amazon and so far, so good.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079TZZZ36/?tag=absolutepunk-20

Ken and riotspray like this.
  15. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I like it quite a bit, but I've never used any others so I have no comparison. It's been a lot of fun to play with and I'm pretty sure I'll never use my microwave again. I'll let you know what else I decide to throw in there in the coming days/weeks.

16. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

It helped me not have to use my oven as much - so I feel like I'm saving energy too. And sounds good, I'll do the same!

Ken and riotspray like this.
  17. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

18. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

riotspray and Ken like this.
  19. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Having one of my favorite meals tonight... bacon cheeseburgers, steamed clams with butter & lemon, and martinis. Just the way my Pop-pop liked when he was still alive.

coleslawed, ChiliTacos, Arry and 2 others like this.
  20. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Sounds phenomenal...perfect balance of indulgence and elegance. Enjoy brother!

Ken likes this.
  21. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

steamed hams?

22. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Thank you! It's a meal I'll never have enough of... I remember visiting my Grandfather for a weekend, a few weeks after his wife passed away. We went to this dive(ish) bar and restaurant called the Gin Mill. I was too old to order a martini, but he did (Tanqueray, extremely dry, on the rocks with olives), and we both ordered that meal together. I've shared it with my Dad, Brother, and enjoyed it by myself multiple times at that same restaurant and sometimes I prepare it at home. I always remember him being concerned with me eating clams and telling me to "chew it good" haha. It's funny how little things can stick with you for years after someone has passed away.

I also wanted to mention to you that I'm making my annual trip to Bethany Beach in about a month and I can't wait. We're definitely going to Dogfish head's brewpub and that Henlopen City Oyster House which I think is simply spectacular.

clams?

23. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Its def amazing how every little detail sticks with you, I have the same kind of memories with my cousin. Sounds like your Granddad knew the right way to eat a clam! haha

And that's awesome - funny you mentioned it just now too. I went to book my hotel for the first weekend of June in Rehoboth like I do every year earlier today. Dogfish brewpub stepped up their food game in a big way over the last year. I feel like you might enjoy their seafood counterpart, Chesapeake and Maine as well. They are right next door to each other which makes drinks/apps at one and drinks/dinner at the other a damn good night.

Ken likes this.
  24. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I'm happy that you have similar memories with your cousin. Those things can mean so much.

Where do you stay in Rehoboth? We considered staying there at the Avenue Inn Hotel, but since we've been going to the Residence Inn at Bethany Beach every year that we've been dating, we've decided to keep it a tradition. I'm going to look up Chesapeake and Maine and we will definitely consider it. My girlfriend is insisting that we go back to Dogfish Head for lunch and beers the first day of our trip, but as we're staying three nights this time, we should have a chance to check out Chesapeake and Maine. I know I mentioned the Oyster House to you multiple times before, but if you have never been, please, you need to go. I can't recommend it enough. Their sister restaurant, the Blue Hen (also in Rehoboth), is excellent as well.

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.
  25. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I typically stay at this little place called the Pirates Cove which is about a half mile from the Dogfish brewpub. Being able to walk back after way too many beers is always a huge perk haha. I do remember you saying to check it out - I looked at the menu and it sounds phenomenal. I need to stop slacking and eat there!

Ken likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.