Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Food Thread: Battle of the Menus • Page 7

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Justice Beaver, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

@Ken

A few friends and I stopped by the other night after drinks just to check out the raw bar. We got the shellfish tower, oysters, and clams. Insanely good, we vowed to come back another time when we were sober.

Then the lady and I went last night for date night. I got the bacon "candy" salad, she got the caesar salad (and to my delight gave me her anchovies because she's a weirdo and doesn't like them), and we got the tuna potato skins to share. I'm a sucker for hanger steak frites, so I got that, and it did not disappoint. The lady went with the pan roasted chicken which was also great. Next time I have to try the veal lorenzo. We were too stuffed for dessert, but our server kept insisting how good the bananas foster cheesecake was, so we took one to go. We'll be digging in soon!

2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Pastapas: A “Close-to-Kosher” Spanish-Italian Culinary Experience

Sangria & Spritz

Sangria: Red Wine, Brandy, Orange Juice, Peaches, Nectarines, and Pears
    Sangria Blanca: White Wine, Orange Liqueur, Strawberries, Pears, and Apples
    Spritz Aperol: 3 parts Prosecco, 1 parts Aperol, 1 part Soda Water, garnished with an orange slice
    Spritz Campari: 3 parts Prosecco, 2 parts Campari, 1 part Soda Water, garnished with an olive
    Negroni: 1 part Campari, 1 part Hendricks gin, 1 part Martini vermouth, garnished with an orange slice

Tapas & Antipasti

Caprese e Focaccia: a traditional caprese salad of fresh mozzarella, tomato slices, and basil leaves drizzled in a balsamic reduction with focaccia triangles on the side infused with garlic olive oil
    Crostini di Pollo: chicken sautéed in olive oil, white wine, garlic, and pepperoncino placed on top of toasted bread with an olive oil spread and garnished with basil leaves and cherry tomatoes
    Formaggi, Fichi, e Olive: a platter of freshly selected cheese, figs, and a selection of green and red olives
    Patatas Bravas: fried potatoes with a roasted tomato aioli drizzled alongside the traditional spicy brava sauce
    Pollo en Pepitoria: small chicken slices baked in an almond cream sauce infused with garlic, cinnamon, and saffron
    Tortilla de Patata: garlic sautéed potatoes, onions, and bell peppers baked into a fluffy omelet triangle

Pasta Bianca

Tagliatelle alla Salmone: Smoked Salmon and Asparagus pasta.
    Cappellaci di Zucca: Pumpkin and Cinnamon stuffed pasta and peppers in a sage butter sauce
    Agli Olio: spicy pepperoncino and garlic cloves sautéed in olive oil and then tossed with fresh cherry tomatoes and basil leaves with classic spaghetti noodles
    Pasta ***ioli: an extremely thick bean, cheese, and garlic sauce combined with ditalini noodles.
    Trofie Pasta Liguria: Boiled green beans, potato chunks, and trofie pasta cooked to al dente and tossed in a pesto olive oil sauce.

Vino Bianco/Vino Blanco

Pinot Grigio: a white wine from the Venezie region of Italy
    Friulano: a dry white wine from the Friuli-Venezia Giulia region of Italy
    Rias Baixas: a fruity, fresh, and dry white wine from the Galicia region of Spain

Pasta Roja

Pollo el Ditalini: green chilies-spiced chicken in a tomato-lime red sauce served over ditalini shells
    Orecchiette di Pollo: stewed tomatoes and chicken meatballs under piles of melted mozzarella and shredded basil leaves over orecchiette pasta “ears”
    Spaghetti alla Siciliana: your classic beef spaghetti with a red sauce made with sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, and parsley infused with a spicy pepperoncino and caper addition during a two hour simmer for a spicy twist on an old favorite
    Gnocchi al Pomodoro: the famed potato pasta served in a spicy garlic red sauce and topped with mozzarella
    Fettuccine con Carciofi: fettuccine served with a tomato sauce infused with artichokes and fresh-squeezed lemon juice where the three ingredients in the sauce simmer together for a flavor explosion

Vino Rosso/Vino Tinto

Chianti Classico: an earthy, black cherry Sangiovese from the Tuscan region of Italy
    Tempranillo: an oak aged fruity red from the Catalan region of Spain
    Garnacha Tintorera: a spicy, herbal, purple “red” wine from the Alicante sub-region of Valencia in Spain

Dolce & Postre

Churros: fresh-fried cinnamon bread served with thick, European hot chocolate for dipping
    Miguelitos: a selection of small squares with cream and chocolate ganache spread between the micro-thin flaky layers of phyllo-dough
    Sfogliatella: a thinly rolled dough pastry brushed with butter and rolled into a log with many layers resembling a sea shell—the ends are removed and filled with a mixture of ricotta, almond paste, and candied orange peels before baking.
    Tiramisu: the Italian classic, need I say more?

Café

Caffe Corretto: an espresso shot with a small splash of grappa or whiskey
    Caffe al Ginseng: an espresso shot brewed with ground ginseng mixed into the beans
    Café con Leche: the classic espresso and milk
    Café Bombon: an espresso with sweetened condensed milk

Ken, SEANoftheDEAD and ChiliTacos like this.
  3. Garrett

@Ken -- there you go, bud!

Feel like I left so many great meals I had off, but if you're doing Spain/Italy, the drink selection has to be huge and alongside every course, haha.

Ken likes this.
  4. Garrett

I will be ordering as if I don’t eat kosher, as you can see by my menu above it gets real difficult if I keep to that ordering from these amazing things.

@Ken

Surf & Turf Skewers, Garlic Bread, Tuna Tartara Potato Skins, Fish Tacos, Blackened Prime Rib, Shoestring Fries, Bananas Foster Cheesecake

Why not gorge myself and not eat for a week. This entire menu looks incredible.

@SEANoftheDEAD

Reuben Egg Rolls, House Salad, Korean BBQ Sliders, Chile Rubbed Flat Iron Steak, Banana Cream Pie

A lot of my favorites on this menu. Mahi Mahi is so good.

@mr_november

Smoked Salmon Bruschetta eighty times over.

But also the Halibut (that sounds so good) and the Delmonico (black truffle is so damn delicious.)

@Your Milkshake

Dadbolt Roll (but for real, this sounds so good), Milkshake’s Chicken Soup, Chilean Sea Bass Filet, Banoffee Pie.

I wonder if y’all have caught on to the fact that I’m a basic dude for a banana dessert.

@iCarly Rae Jepsen

Hit me with the calamari, butternut squash salad, Cajun spiced steak, and the churros.

Lots of interesting twists here on dishes I’ve seen before. Here for it.

@electro haikus

Cinnamon toast crunch, pizza, Scooby doo fruit snacks

@suicidesaints

frys

@Mr. Serotonin

All alcohols

@Justice Beaver

Seasonal raw fish, Gado Gado, Roti Prata and Cheese Fries (always), Yellowfin Tuna Tacos, and Corned Beef Hash.

This menu was also filled with a ridiculous amount of things that made me salivate.

~*~*~

I’m sorry that this is so truncated, but I’m honestly impressed with all of these menus (that tried, and the humor behind the ones that didn’t). This is good stuff, peeps. Stuff like this is a fun thought experiment.

I only did the menus in the OP, so if there are more, lemme know.

5. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Your Negroni sounds perfect. I'll take one of those. I'm starting with the Patatas Bravas. After you talked up the smoked salmon pasta, I want the Tagliatelle alla Salmone. Also, I can never say no to the Gnocchi al Pomodoro. For dessert, I'm having the Sfogliatella, I've never had it but it sounds amazing. Oh and a Cafe Bombon too.

Garrett L. likes this.
  6. Garrett

I’m glad you understand the glorious light of the Patatas Bravas. I’d fly to Spain (or this restaurant in Atlanta that also nailed them) for them tbh and they’re so simple.

Ken likes this.
  7. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Should we do a poll on the most appetizing menu?

I've never had it, but it sounds really good. Fried potatoes + aioli are a match made in heaven.

Justice Beaver and SEANoftheDEAD like this.
  8. Garrett

I know they have them in Boston and Atlanta, so they might have them elsewhere near you. But if you can find a Barcelona Tapas Bar (think that’s the name), they NAILED it.

Ken and Justice Beaver like this.
  9. Justice Beaver

Crime Fighting Beaver

Barcelona is soooooooooooo good.

Ken and Garrett L. like this.
  10. Garrett

The risotto one they have made me doubt every rice dish I’ve ever eaten

Justice Beaver and Ken like this.
  11. Justice Beaver

Crime Fighting Beaver

Their fig and chorizo dish is stupid delcious.

Garrett L. likes this.
  12. Garrett

The little beef empanadas too. Man. Time for another trip to the ATL

13. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I'm gonna have to find this place

14. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Finally finished mine. My dream is to open a brewery/brewpub with a "food truck" type menu, i.e. nothing more than around $12 a plate. Not everything quite fits the bill but I just would really want to serve some of this food. A lot of this stuff are things that I've made and enjoy and the rest are things that I want to make in the future

Tap List

American IPALots of citrus, orange, and tangerine on the aroma and flavor with minimal bitterness on the backend. Hazy, creamy, and smooth drinking

American IPA w/ Local HoneyAromas of Citrus, mango, tropical fruit, and pine. The honey keeps the body light and gives an earthy backbone to the pillowy soft mouthfeel

American IIPAPeach, nectarine, and grapefruit abound with slight piney and resinous accents to round out the smooth, dry finish.

White Wine Barrel Aged Brett IPAWhite wine, tropical fruit, and citrus aromas combined with a bit of funk from the Brett yeast. Flavor is slightly tart with notes of grassy hop, pineapple, and grape

Strawberry WheatAn abundance of wheat gives this a smooth mouthfeel while still being extremely light bodies. Aged on top of pureed strawberries and a heavy dosing of citra and mosaic hops

Lemon Ginger Beet Red AleBeets added to the boil give this a bright red color while the lemon and ginger compliment the earthy flavor from the beets.

Irish Black Ale - Meaning 'Dark Warrior' in Gaelic, this Irish Ale is so dark red it's almost black. An extra roasted flavor makes this beer reminiscent of a fuller bodied Irish stout just as much as it is an Irish Red

Black Saison - This black saison is black in color only. Behind the darkness is a golden, refreshing farmhouse ale with hints of pepper and bitter orange, ending with a dry finish

Bourbon Pecan Imperial Brown AleBourbon pecan pie in a glass. It’s thick, creamy, nutty, and boozy and everything you would want in a dessert beer

Chocolate Milk Stout – Lactose sugar and flaked oats gives thissession stout a thick body and sweetness that makes for an unbelievably smooth drink

Small Plates

Charcuterie Board – Assorted meats*, cheeses, and toast on a slate platter

Meat Option

*Seafood Option

*Vegetable Option

Gravlax Tea Sandwiches – Thinly sliced caraway, coriander, and dill cured salmon on top of slices of pumpernickel bread with a mustard-dill sauce

Poutine Bites – Fried potato balls stuffed with cheese curds and drizzled with a brown gravy

Salted Soft Pretzels – Choose Sauce(s)

Beer Cheese

Ale Mustard

Garlic Parmesan Butter

Buffalo Blue Cheese

Bacon Ranch

White Truffle Garlic Fries – Thrice cooked fries tossed with white truffle oil, garlic, parmesan cheese, parsley and sea salt

Fish Tacos – Crispy or Grilled – Served on fresh flour tortillas with a corn salsa, goat cheese, lime crema and our IPA hot sauce

Sliders – Three small burgers served on a potato roll

Lamb (Spring Seasonal) – Served with spring slaw and tzatziki sauce

Elk (Winter Seasonal) – Served with smoked mozzarella, bacon, and grilled onions

Turkey (Fall Seasonal) – Served with stuffing and cranberry sauce

Beef (Summer Seasonal) – Served with crispy onions and BBQ sauce

Brown Sugar and Bacon Cocktail Sausages – Mini hot dogs wrapped in bacon and coated in brown sugar

Vegan Quesadilla – Spinach, Black Bean, and Chipotle with roasted Sweet Potato replacing the cheese

Mac and Cheese – Cavatappipasta with cheddar and gruyere cheese

Add Chorizo, Kielbasa, or Lobster (in season)

Korean Fried Boneless Bites – Bites of fried chicken tossed with a sweet and spicy chili sauce

Vegan option available w/ Cauliflower

Risotto – Creamy long grain rice with parmesan cheese

Butternut Squash, Sage and Brown Butter (Cold Weather) – Add Crispy Skinned Salmon

Leek and Lemon-Brown Butter (Warm Weather) – Add Seared Scallops

Pizzas –Neapolitan Style

Classic Margherita

Fresh Mozzarella, Prosciutto, Kale

Spicy Sausage, Gorgonzola, Basil

Salami Picante, Fresh Mossarella

Mushrooms, Caramelized Onions, Fontina Cheese, Rosemary, Truffle Oil

Desserts

Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate Milk Stout Float

Seasonal Pie

Strawberry Rhubarb or Banoffee (Spring)

Winter Citrus or Peppermint Patty (Winter)

Pumpkin or Apple (Fall)

Blueberry or Peach (Summer)

Berries and Cream

Now to finish reading the rest of the menus and pick out my meals

15. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I'd want a white wine barrel aged Brett IPA to drink, that sounds really good. For food, I definitely want to try the Tea Sandwiches and the Poutine Bites. I'm really interested in the lamb and elk sliders too. Also your Korean Boneless Wings sound great. And I'll take all of your seasonal pies.

16. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Thanks for writing this up, it was really nice to read! I'm glad that my menu sounded so appetizing to you.

17. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I love a red wine barrel aged beer. I'd jump at the bit to have a white wine one too.

Ken likes this.
  18. Garrett

Chocolate Milk Stout and the white truffle garlic fries is all I need to survive really. mmmmm.

Mr. Serotonin and Ken like this.
  19. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I've still got to read on from @Justice Beaver 's menu through the rest. I've been sick.

Ken likes this.
  20. Justice Beaver

Crime Fighting Beaver

So do we need to turn this into voting thing?

I kinda feel like I'm just so impressed with everyone it feels reductive to assign a "best."

And like I would want to eat at each of the restaurants at different times. I couldn't pick a favorite if I wanted.

Mr. Serotonin and Ken like this.
  21. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I know the best one--mine.

22. Justice Beaver

Crime Fighting Beaver

[​IMG]
    Unsportsmanlike conduct, taunting.

Automatic disqualification.

Ken likes this.
  23. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Mine would probably come in last place though, honestly. So no poll is fine by me because in my heart I'll always know it's the true winner.

Justice Beaver likes this.
  24. Justice Beaver

Crime Fighting Beaver

Shut your beautiful, humble, face.

Ken likes this.
  25. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I had some chicken fried phaseant last night

Mr. Serotonin likes this.