Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Foo Fighters Band • Page 7

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by inwaves, Apr 29, 2016.

1. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

I totally disagree. I mean, yea, I guess the spiel would suck if they were limited to an hour/hour and a half. But their shows are typically long enough that it allows time for thay stuff. It adds to the intimacy imo

beachdude42 likes this.
  2. JM95

Trusted

When it happens every song, it can get to fuck. I caught the last hour and a bit last night and the rambling was between almost every song.

"Hey Dave, I get that you'll just play till they tell you to fuckin' stop, even though you've said it four times already and you obviously know what the schedule is anyway. Now play a song because it's like ten minutes since you started the last one."

3. inwaves

the ships have all sailed to the sea

Apparently when Josh Homme heard the new album he told Dave that they made "a weird record." That has me even more excited.

JRGComedy, Zilla and Davjs like this.
  4. inwaves

Me likey

5. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Don't like the song as much as Run. Still need to watch that video.

6. inwaves

The video is great! Grohl is such a fanfastic video director (and documentary as well, obviously). I'm digging the bluesy stomp of this song.

DejaMoi likes this.
  7. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

I loooved the video for Run and I bet I will love this one as well. Probably even more than the song itself lol

8. inwaves

Grohl could have a whole other career as a director. He's too damn talented. It's not fair.

9. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Can't believe I wasn't subscribed to this already

I hate to come in here negatively though but as much as I like this band, I really don't think they make strong full albums besides TC&TS, the first disc of IYH, ESPG and especially WL. The highlights for their albums are always incredibly strong but I find most of their albums that I didn't list to have a lot of filler besides the singles

10. inwaves

So I revisited the rock disc of In Your Honor, because I never listen to it apart from a couple of songs and I remember not digging it much. But I will say that it's overall stronger than I remember. Here's how it shakes out for me:

Great:
    In Your Honor
    No Way Back
    Best of You

Good:
    DOA
    Free Me
    Resolve
    The Deepest Blues Are Black

Not so good:
    Hell
    The Last Song
    End Over End

I think it just seems weaker than most because there's only ten songs, and I straight up don't enjoy three of them. It's still fun to put on, but along with One By One, I probably return to it the least.

11. inwaves

beachdude42 likes this.
  12. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

inwaves likes this.
  13. spencpants

Can I pet your dog? Prestigious

That's a funny title. Child Learns to Ride A Bike All By Himself

beachdude42 and inwaves like this.
  14. inwaves

Jamie Dagg, mattav152 and beachdude42 like this.
  15. Mike J

We talk too much / We talk in circles

"Play" is one of the best things Dave has ever done. It reminds me of the music he wrote for the Sound City soundtrack a few years ago. The specific part I timestamped below is one of the greatest pieces of music he's ever written.

beachdude42 likes this.
  16. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

This is amazing. Dave Grohl is the man

beachdude42 likes this.
  17. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Woke up this morning and caught myself going down to a rabbit hole filled with Dave Grohl youtube videos.

inwaves and bradsonemanband like this.
  18. inwaves

Jesus, Play is so damn good. Dave is great at riffing, but he is an absolute monster on drums. You can really hear bits and pieces of the Foo's history throughout that piece, even some QOTSA-ish parts too.

beachdude42 and mattav152 like this.
  19. manoverboard365

Trusted

Finally got around to watching Play. So damn good. We don't deserve Dave.

inwaves likes this.
  20. Broxi

Not usually a fan of instrumentals and 20+ minute ones at that but Play is brilliant

beachdude42 and inwaves like this.
  21. DesolateEarth

Birb

Just listened to TINLTL again and still floored by how flawless that album is. Every other Foo fighters album, even Wasting Light and TCATS, has something that I could take or leave. There is nothing like that on TINLTL. Every single song serves a purpose and can stand on it's own feet. The mix of melody and energy is incredible, and it has some of the most memorable moments in all of music for me. It is, in my opinion, a near perfect album and their lightning in a bottle moment.

22. JM95

Trusted

My favourite too.

Generator into Aurora is unbelievable.

23. RJ Knorr

Trusted Supporter

24. JM95

Trusted

Been looking through various performances of Everlong; I think this one might be my favourite. It seems a little more melancholic, Franz's backing vocals are really good and the drop down and then build up before the last chorus is amazing.

25. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

That was great. Foo Fighters always gave the best performances on Letterman.

JM95 likes this.