Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Foo Fighters - Medicine at Midnight (February 5, 2021) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Aaron Mook, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Aaron Mook Nov 8, 2020
    (Last edited: Nov 8, 2020)
    medicine.jpg

1. Making a Fire
    2. Shame Shame
    3. Cloudspotter
    4. Waiting on a War
    5. Medicine at Midnight
    6. No Son of Mine
    7. Holding Poison
    8. Chasing Birds
    9. Love Does Young

bonie, beachdude and smowashere like this.
  2. Concrete and Gold was solid, hopefully this is too. Felt the SNL performance was jarring, but I think I'm already coming around on the recorded version of "Shame Shame." Definitely something different for them.

edit: will update OP with artwork when I'm not on mobile

beachdude and JRGComedy like this.
  3. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Excited for a taut Foos record, C&G meandered a little too much for my tastes and Sonic Highways is half good

beachdude and SteveLikesMusic like this.
  4. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

yeah i didn't love the snl version but the studio is okay. kind of a bummer to have chris relegated to acoustic strumming

5. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

that album cover is atrocious lmao

actually dug C&G a lot though, cautiously optimistic for this

phaynes12 likes this.
  6. abw123

Trusted

Concrete and Gold was by far my least favorite Foo album and this new song is not good in my opinion. They were such a consistent band for so long, I hope the rest of the album is better.

7. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I need to revisit C&G, I never gave it much time. I still like Sonic Highways better than most, I think there's a lot of really cool stuff on there.

Enjoyed this song too. Dave's vocals were a little rough on SNL, but the recorded version is good. Gave me some QOTSA vibes.

beachdude and Aaron Mook like this.
  8. Elder Lightning

It's very 90's / early-00's

falafelmywaffle likes this.
  9. I'm with you on Sonic Highways, and fwiw, I recently revisited Concrete & Gold and think it hits more often than it misses.

10. Eh. I don't hate the artwork. Reminds me of Wasting Light, just busier.

Vs. likes this.
  11. Elder Lightning

I plan to spin both of them this afternoon. It's an unseasonably warm day today and just feels like a good Foo Fighters day.

Also, I feel like if Sonic Highways were released as a "Dave Grohl and friends" album or something like that, it would've been better received.

beachdude and Aaron Mook like this.
  12. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

There's definitely stuff to like in the last two releases, and I really enjoyed the Sonic Highways miniseries. I certainly revisit Concrete and Gold more than In Your Honor or the deep cuts of One by One

mike1885 likes this.
  13. There is Nothing Left to Lose
    Foo Fighters
    The Color and the Shape
    In Your Honor
    Sonic Highways
    Wasting Light
    Concrete & Gold
    Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace
    One by One

This is probably my current ranking, but One by One is the only album I get truly bored with. Feels like a good day to revisit In Your Honor, Sonic Highways, and ESPG.

14. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

We don't rank too much in this thread, so I'll do it too haha

There Is Nothing Left to Lose
    Wasting Light
    The Color and the Shape
    Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace
    Sonic Highways
    Concrete & Gold
    In Your Honor
    One By One

One By One definitely bores me as well, but man the first three songs are VERY good. I kinda feel the same about In Your Honor. The singles really prop that album up. The production I always thought was kinda weird too.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  15. Yeah, I grew up with In Your Honor so there's some nostalgic value there, and I don't remember much of disc one aside from the singles, but I honestly LOVE that acoustic disc.

JRGComedy likes this.
  16. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I never connected with the acoustic disk in a meaningful way, but you're not the first person to suggest to me that there's a lot of good there!

Aaron Mook likes this.
  17. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

"Shame Shame" is growing on me. Definitely a very different kind of lead single from this band, but it intrigues me a lot and I'm interested in where the rest of the album will take us.

18. Vs.

Regular

Same. I like it.

19. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Song is pretty cool. Definitely grabs me more than anything on the last record, which I've tried to get into so many times and has never elicited anything more than a yawn from me. Would love a bounce-back from them.

JRGComedy likes this.
  20. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

There Is Nothing Left to Lose
    The Colour and the Shape
    Wasting Light
    Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace
    In Your Honor
    Self-Titled
    Sonic Highways
    One by One
    Concrete & Gold

They're an interesting band for me, in that they've never released an all-time favorite, but I like a lot of their records quite a bit. Of these, I'm only really meh on the last two.

JRGComedy likes this.
  21. abw123

Trusted

I think my list would be 100% identical to Craig's, strangely

I had no idea TINLTL was everyone's favorite, I thought I was in the minority on that.

Concrete and Gold - I love The Sky Is A Neighborhood, the rest is just pretty forgettable. Sonic Highways has GREATLY grown on me over the years, about half of that album is super super good. The whole theme of that album is a little cutesy for me though and some of the city-specific lyrics are a little too on the nose.

Craig Manning and Aaron Mook like this.
  22. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I forgot the first album in my rankings, but I'd def slot it in just about C&G

23. phaynes12

The Colour and the Shape
    Self-Titled
    There is Nothing Left to Lose
    One by One
    Wasting Light
    Echoes Silence Patience Grace
    In Your Honor
    Concrete and Gold
    Sonic Highways

JRGComedy likes this.
  24. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Echoes and Wasting Light were huge for me growing up. I had definitely heard the band's earlier singles out and about, but The Pretender got me to actually go out and buy an album.

Then I saw them on the Wasting Light tour and they melted my 15-year-old face off

25. phaynes12

i feel like i need to be put into a senior citizens home reading that