Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Foo Fighters - Concrete And Gold (September 15th, 2017) Album • Page 9

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by airik625, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I hate "Subterranean" for being so plodding, but also wasting a Ben Gibbard appearance.

2. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Second listen was much more enjoyable. Grower confirmed

beachdude42 and Aaron Mook like this.
  3. Mort Michaels

Father, Son, and House of Gucci

Sunday Rain is so good.

bd007h likes this.
  4. DesolateEarth

Birb

So overall I like it. Right now it's in the middle of their discography in terms of how it stacks up. Early Highlights are "Run", "La Dee Da", "Dirty Water", "Arrows", and "The Line" The title track is a pretty good closer too.

5. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Can we all agree that T-Shirt should've been longer?!

mattav152 and AlwaysEvolving21 like this.
  6. Coming around to most of this after a few listens. Even with some minor complaints, I think it's pretty easily their best in a decade. Really glad to hear some different influences shine through, the whole "hard-rock Sgt. Pepper's" descriptor is pretty spot-on imo

really not into "Sunday Rain" though. Taylor's vocals kinda kill it for me

Jim and beachdude42 like this.
  7. DesolateEarth

Birb

That's my issue with it. It doesn't really feel like a Foo Fighters song. It's kind of an outlier.

8. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I still kind of feel like this is just okay. Some cool things going on, but on a song to song basis, it's my least favorite thing they've done in a long time.

9. I feel like it fits within the context of the album and its style, I just don't think it's very good haha

10. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

"Sunday Rain" reminds me of an Eagles song from The Long Run. Still my least favorite track, but it's slowly growing on me.

beachdude42 and Aaron Mook like this.
  11. DesolateEarth

Birb

Also I feel like this probably won't get into my top three (TINLTL, TCATS, and WL) but it may move 1 or 2 places up with future listens.

12. abw123

Trusted

Man, I really didn't like this much at all on first listen. Surprised how many of you are digging it. Hope I'm wrong and further listens change my opinion.

13. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

This album is definitely a grower. Loving Arrows. Drum production sounds really crappy and overly compressed, especially in "The Line", which is otherwise a killer track.

14. Mort Michaels

Father, Son, and House of Gucci

I said this earlier and no one else seemed to notice it.

15. Guys. I just bought 2 tickets for me and my mom to see Foo Fighters in December! Merry Christmas, Mom! (Foo Fighters are the one band that she's always been dying to see so I'm so excited for her!)

PS: Plus, I fucking love Dave Grohl so fucking much! #mancrush

cubsml34, Zilla, beachdude42 and 3 others like this.
  16. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Congrats man, they put on an awesome show.

beachdude42 and bradsonemanband like this.
  17. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Stray Thoughts:

- it's all pretty good up to "Sunday Rain."
    - If we don't get another Taylor Hawkins-fronted song, it'll be all for the better. That pseudo-Eagles shit needs to stay on his solo albums.
    - The features shouldn't have even been mentioned. You wouldn't be able to tell it was Justin Timberlake or Shawn Stockman singing those harmonies if you weren't told.
    - I like the bite that the snare has on some of these songs. A Foo Fighters song hasn't had that in a long time.
    - The chorus of "The Line" is weirdly mixed.
    - "Concrete and Gold" is an anticlimactic closer.
    - I think QOTSA won in the battle of rock bands working with pop producers.
    - This is a big improvement over "Sonic Highways."

18. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

This album needs one more banger in the back half

19. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I kind of feel this way too. It needs a "Walk" or something.

JRGComedy likes this.
  20. Unpopular opinion: "Walk" is cheesy and I do not like it. Maybe part of the reason I think Wasting Light is good, but not as great as most FF fans do.

21. DesolateEarth

Birb

22. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Just relistened to Sonic Highways last night and Subterranean is an all-time great Foo Fighters song.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  23. DesolateEarth

Birb

Second listen through and that 3 song middle section of "La Dee Da", "Dirty Water", and "Arrows" is absolutely incredible. Easily my favorite part on the album.

beachdude42 and JRGComedy like this.
  24. Mike J

We talk too much / We talk in circles

It's the "Seneca" of this record. I've listened to it more than any other song so far. It's a perfect encapsulation of this record's sound as well as the subgenres they tackle throughout the record.

truelovewaits and beachdude42 like this.
  25. Mike J

We talk too much / We talk in circles

I'm with you, Mook. Wasting Light has so much "NASCAR" rock on it. Many fans try to put it alongside TCatS which seems to be a generational divide. TCatS is still the only Foo Fighters album that I'll listen to in sequence. For my money, the Foos' best records were made in the 90s. Since then, their records have been top-heavy (3-4 singles and filler). While it's too early to make a lasting judgement, C&G is relatively balanced. I still think it needed one more great song, not necessarily a single.

Aaron Mook likes this.