Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Foo Fighters - Concrete And Gold (September 15th, 2017) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by airik625, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Mort Michaels

Father, Son, and House of Gucci

I get that, but the drums just sound awful to me. I will have to listen a few more times. I could tell there was a lot going on and a lot of counter melodies, but I could not hear any of them because it all just sounded like a washed out mash up of noise.

2. Uhhhhh half of One by One would like a word

Davjs, Zilla, beachdude42 and 3 others like this.
  3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I'd like to introduce you to my friends: Opinion and Subjectivity.

1. There's no such thing as "unequivocally bad" music. The playing on that track is top notch. I mean, shit, they had the Preservation Hall Jazz Band on there. And say what you want about the melody, but I could hum it back to you right now, which is more than I could say for anything from this album so far.

2. The claim that the vocals are automatically worse if the music is "bad" is insane. A good singer can sell shitty material. It happens all the time. A bad singer can ruin a great song. That also happens all the time. The quality of the music (whatever you mean by that) and the quality of the vocals are completely unrelated.

3. It's fine that you like this record and don't like Sonic Highways. I hope I come around on this record, and think I will. I listened to Sonic Highways this afternoon and still think it's a solid record. In any case, I don't really get why you'd trying to take this "Trust me, I'm a musician so I'm right" tactic in here. A lot of us are musicians. That doesn't make our opinions gospel.

Davjs likes this.
  4. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Sunday Rain is a gem.

5. I still think it's their best album. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6. DesolateEarth Sep 12, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 12, 2017)
    DesolateEarth

Birb

I wouldn't say their best but I wouldn't say their worst either. I think it's underrated and gets a bad rap when there are only really a couple duds on it.

Also "Come Back" is probably my second favorite Foos closer after "New Way Home"

bd007h and Full Effect Ed like this.
  7. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

Perfect closer

8. Oh wow, I knew you were a fan but I didn't realize you thought it was their best. I want to like that album so bad, and every time I try it again, I struggle to get through it. I actually revisited it less than a month ago and still can't remember anything about tracks five through ten.

I still think There is Nothing Left to Lose is far and away their best (as well as a perfect album for the weather this time of year)

9. Hah, I just think it's the perfect encapsulation of everything they do well as a band. The loud, the soft, the melodic. It's got it all. Killer singles, great ballads. I'm always in the minority but I truly think it's my favorite from them.

smoke4thecaper and Aaron Mook like this.
  10. Craig Manning

I feel like I should know this, but I'm still shocked.

I generally prefer There Is Nothing Left to Lose to The Colour and the Shape, even if TCATS has higher highs. I'm not huge on the debut or One by One, though.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  11. I've definitely said it before, not sure where though. Haha.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  12. Craig Manning

I knew you liked it, I just didn't know it was your clear favorite.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  13. I definitely come back to it the most. Only one I own on vinyl too. Heh.

14. Craig Manning

That's one more Foos record than I own on vinyl! I've almost bought a couple of them a few different times, but then found other things in the store I was more interested in.

15. Aaron Mook Sep 12, 2017
    Not sure if this is a hot take, but "Aurora" is right up there with "Everlong" for all-time greats by this band. Like, potentially their best song.

16. JRGComedy Sep 12, 2017
    (Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2017)
    JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I'm pretty sure this is objective fact.

17. DesolateEarth Sep 12, 2017
    DesolateEarth

Birb

Yeah "Aurora" is fantastic.

Also yeah my favorite, as I have mentioned here several times, is TINLTL. I really enjoy the mix of energy and melody, and can honestly say that i think it is by far their most consistently good album. There isn't one bad song in the bunch.

18. Mike J Sep 14, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 14, 2017)
    Mike J

We talk too much / We talk in circles

The band hates "One by One" so I'm surprised to see some of you rank it so high. Like every Foo record, it has a handful of GREAT songs – and then a bunch of filler.

"The Colour and the Shape" is still their only album that I can listen to from start to finish. It's a perfect rock album. Most publications and fans rank that record as their number one, especially longtime fans. Although, newer/younger fans tend to favor "Wasting Light." The eponymous debut is great; I just hate the way it sounds.

Also, how does the biggest band in the world have zero footprint on this site? I know they're a blue-collar rock band, but I'm still genuinely surprised by the lack of interest.

19. Who gives a fuck what the band thinks? What a stupid way to listen to or care about music.

And they're not the biggest band in the world, and they released two shitty albums back to back. That'll do it.

beachdude42 and Craig Manning like this.
  20. DesolateEarth

Birb

Are you referring to Wasting Light as a shitty album? If so, I'm genuinely curious as to why you think it's bad. I personally thought it was their strongest in a while, and felt that it blew the last couple records before it out of the water.

21. Callum Macleod

Do or do not, there is no try.

Assuming one is Sonic Highways, what's the other, Wasting Light or Concrete and Gold? Both are pretty far from shitty for me, so I can't tell. Each to their own and all that though.

22. The 'Saint Cecilia' EP.

beachdude42 and DesolateEarth like this.
  23. DesolateEarth

Birb

Oh ok. I figured you meant full length albums, Fair enough then.

24. Callum Macleod

Do or do not, there is no try.

25. Craig Manning

A lot of artists have bad opinions about their own music. Brandon Flowers has the worst Killers opinions of anyone on the planet.