Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Foo Fighters - Concrete And Gold (September 15th, 2017) Album • Page 11

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by airik625, Jun 20, 2017.

1. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

if by Nascar rock, you mean shitty butt rock, then Wasting Light is definitely not that

2. Gooddayz

always and forever

Alright so besides their singles the only Foo Fighters album I've heard is TCATS and that was only during a road trip when my friend was playing it. I decided to give Concrete and Gold a go and after two listens it's pretty good. I do think the guest appearances were poorly used, but Happily Ever After and the closer track were the only ones I didn't care for. Now I'm listening to TINLTL based off the thread and dang it blows C&G outta the water by the thrid song haha. I'm on Aurora right now and I'm thoroughly enjoying this.

Aaron Mook, mattav152 and JRGComedy like this.
  3. DesolateEarth

Birb

Yeah to be honest this whole NASCAR rock thing is a pretty bad comparison

4. Mike J

We talk too much / We talk in circles

'90s Foo was the best Foo.

Zilla and Aaron Mook like this.
  5. Mike J

I just found this by complete happenstance:

Aaron Mook likes this.
  6. Gooddayz

always and forever

Album was amazing. Not one bad song. I read on wiki how the band recorded the album in Grohl's basement and everything was so chill. No wonder it sounds so good

Aaron Mook likes this.
  7. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Hey! He doesn't need to explain anything, he's a musician, OKAY??? Gosh!

Craig Manning likes this.
  8. Mike J

And it was just Dave, Taylor and Nate at the time. They were thinking about being a three-piece for a while. It's funny to think about now that there are 12 guys in the band.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  9. smoke4thecaper

Check out the doc on Netflix, Back and Forth. Goes into a lot of great detail on recording sessions for each record :thumbup:

Aaron Mook and Gooddayz like this.
  10. Mike J

Does NASCAR rock really need an explanation? I think it's more self-explanatory than 'butt rock.'

Aaron Mook likes this.
  11. smoke4thecaper

I would argue that "butt rock" equates to sounding like butt, or maybe a loud collection of farts. And I'd also argue that country music is preferred among the vast majority of NASCAR fans anyway. Or Daughtry. Either way, I don't understand how anything the Foos have recorded could be referred to any of the above. Keep fightin' the good fight though, I guess?

12. DesolateEarth

Birb

You could probably find most any modern rock song on some sort of NASCAR/sports video compilation. Hell I wouldn't be surprised to hear "Everlong" in a NASCAR video. Just because they use a Foo Fighters song (or any song for that matter) it doesn't automatically turn me off to that song forever or make it bad.

13. Gooddayz

always and forever

Now that they have three guitarist have they been able to utilize that more? I couldn't really tell in C&G.

14. Mike J

Dave has a country sounding voice at times. He even considers some of their songs to be country-ish. So, "Miss the Misery" is a perfect example of a song you'd hear at a NASCAR event given the Southern vocal and stock riffs.

Lastly, I can't forget about his Dale Jr. guitar:

http://www.feelnumb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Dave_grohl_modified.jpg

Aaron Mook likes this.
  15. Mike J

The most obvious spot is the chorus of "Run." The three guitars create something rather interesting there since each player is doing something different. Make no mistake though, Pat is mainly there to beef up the sound, both on the record and in live performances.

Gooddayz likes this.
  16. y'all are taking the "NASCAR-rock" thing too seriously, it's was a joking term for generic arena rock that one would probably hear at some kind of NASCAR-esque event. sorry, it's a fine record, but Wasting Light has a few of those.

FTank likes this.
  17. Mike J

"Congregation" makes me recoil.

18. DesolateEarth

Birb

I get that. I just think that terms like "NASCAR rock" and "butt rock" are broad and meaningless. It's like people calling classic rock "dad rock" or Green Day and Blink 182 "emo". It gives them almost a negative connotation, and really is just a generalization that seems to be out of place on a music forum. I don't mean to make a big deal out of it, it's just something that gets under my skin a little.

19. it is broad because it was basically just a goof

i am fully aware that foo fighters are not actually a NASCAR-rock band

20. if it makes my statement more palatable, Wasting Light is a fine record that has a few generic arena-rock songs that one would probably hear at some kind of NASCAR-esque event

Ryan Garner likes this.
  21. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Walk is a drag of a song on an otherwise solid album

mattav152 and Aaron Mook like this.
  22. Mike J

Tal Bachman is still upset.

23. Mike J

And NASCAR-rock is far more descriptive than butt-rock.

24. inwaves

the ships have all sailed to the sea

I still like Walk. It's cheesy but the bridge saves that song for me.

25. smoke4thecaper

Can we start this thread over?

StoJa9 likes this.