Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Follow-Up: Third Eye Blind Troll RNC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Usually I just add “updates” to articles that I have already posted, but this was such a good story I felt like it needed its own post. To follow-up on my wondering what Stephan Jenkins from Third Eye Blind might say on stage after hearing his band would be playing at the RNC: we have an answer. In a pretty epic troll job the band spent the night performing deeper cuts from their catalogue and proclaiming their support for LGBT rights and science.

At one point during the concert, Jenkins poked fun at controversial conservative views. “Raise your hand if you believe in science!” he reportedly taunted, drawing a series of boos from the crowd. He responded: “You can boo all you want, but I’m the motherf—king artist up here.”

@hunterw Great question. We were not, as musicians on call were well aware of who we are and our take on things (like science and rights!)

— Third Eye Blind (@ThirdEyeBlind) July 20, 2016

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  2. Punk Out

We're glad to see another band using their stage to forward LGBT+ inclusions...especially in a clearly hostile environment. It takes courage and LGBT+ appreciate the support.

3. Turkeylegz

Trusted

I know if the situation were reversed and it was Ted Nugent or something doing this at a liberal event I'd be so mad but I kinda love this.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  4. Henry

Moderator Moderator

The people in charge of those events would never be that naive. lol

5. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

This is incredible. I love third eye blind

beachdude42 likes this.
  6. Weezer17

They werent playing at an RNC Event. The band said so themselves.

To clarify:

We did not play an RNC event. We performed at a benefit for Musicians on Call because we support their mission in bringing music to the bedsides of patients in hospitals.

Given that the benefit was held in Cleveland, we suspected that convention types might show up and we let it be known we were there to support Musicians on Call and that we in fact repudiate every last stitch of the RNC platform and the grotesque that is their nominee.

--Science is science.
    --Coal is not clean.
    --Black Lives Matter.
    --LGBTQ = equal.
    --Separation of church and state (still a good idea)

We could go on.

We have Republican friends, family members, and fans, and we love them all. What we reject is what their party has come to stand for. But in keeping with Musicians on Call's message, we believe in the gathering power of music. With that spirit we don't step back from our audience wherever or whomever they are.

Warmly, your friends in 3eb.

7. Sal Paradise

Trusted

I wonder if they played non dairy creamer?

bd007h likes this.
  8. Weezer17

Apparently they didnt play never let you go, and did play non dairy creamer

bd007h likes this.
  9. FakeGyllenhaal

bd007h likes this.
  10. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

apparently they did ndc instead of never let you go

bd007h likes this.
  11. doubledribble

Regular

@Jason Tate This probably needs an update since the event was not the RNC but for a charity organization which was addressed by @Weezer17 above.

12. I didn't say it was for the RNC, the press release for the event clearly says it was at the RNC, so I use the same language. The charity puts events on, sponsored by huge donors, at both the RNC and DNC.
    Third Eye Blind will be the headline performing act at the charity benefit for Musicians On Call (MOC), a nonprofit that brings live and recorded music to the bedsides of patients in healthcare facilities, at the Republican National Convention in Cleveland. The Tuesday evening, July 19th, benefit is produced and sponsored by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). It will take place at the legendary Rock and Roll Hall of Fame & Museum in Cleveland.

13. doubledribble

Regular

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

Jason Tate likes this.
  14. doubledribble

Regular

Would have been better if it had been for the RNC... but I hate both parties equally :ok:

15. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

My love for Third Eye Blind has grown even bigger.

16. People actually booed at science? What?

17. ZeoVGM

Regular

Crowd full of Republicans.

(The fact that that's all I need to say is depressing.)

@Jason Tate, Stephan Jenkins did an on-air interview with Don Lemon last night. It's pretty great as he points out that the media was focusing on the silly stuff all night and ignoring actual important news related to Trump's platform that came out.

Rockers 'Third Eye Blind' upset GOP crowd - CNN Video

18. Turkeylegz

Trusted

One time I went to take my brother to a skillet concert (conservative/religious) and almost every opening act made fun of science and how it wasn't real. It made me so outraged because everyone in the crowd got so excited when they did.
    Ironically, I don't think I've seen a show with more pyrotechnics or effects in my life.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  19. monkeytarget

As a non-american, can someone explain to me why one would boo at science?

20. Turkeylegz

Trusted

Things are pretty binary here. Many people see belief in science as rejection of religion. Trump supporters are scary.

monkeytarget likes this.
  21. doubledribble

Regular

I've never heard any Christian "boo" at science let alone flat out reject that "science is real." I've heard them refute certain theories (big bang, certain evolutionary theories, etc..) but not generally booing science. Maybe there are some weird, far out there groups, but I wouldn't lump them in with a traditional Christian. Most Christians are ok with science in the Webster dictionary definition of the word. The problem stems from when things can not be tested or observed by scientists yet are taught as science. That's the big issue that Christians have with science, which leads to a stupid debate where both sides get stupid angry and nothing ever progresses.

EDIT: Also, want to make sure that it is understood that I'm not saying it hasn't happened. These are my own observations from my own personal experiences from growing up in the church, leaving the church while in college, then rediscovering my faith and going to a Christian college for religious studies, and then having those studies reexamine what I believe completely.

22. Collins

Trusted

yeah the booing at science thing is fucking weird. Most Christians (or at least Christians in this generation) believe in evolution, the big bang, etc.

23. doubledribble

Regular

Where are your statistics for this? I did a quick google search and found that 1 in 5 americans believes in the big bang. No Christian I know denies microevolution. That said, where most Christians differ in opinion that I know is in macroevolution and the big bang. I would be interested to see statistics for different age groups if you know where to find it.

24. Collins

Trusted

Sorry i was speaking just mainly off my experience. I can't give you any statistics or anything, just the beliefs I subscribe to and that of all of my friends. I live in a very liberal town though (Austin) so a lot of religious/spiritual people skew left here anyways.

25. doubledribble

Regular

No problem. I was curious because I see a lot of the opposite. I live in SC, where we have very right winged, conservative Christians.