Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Flower Crown - GLOW (October 20th, 2017) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Aaron Mook, May 13, 2017.

1. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Oh wow, this is so up my alley its ridiculous. Bloodshade and Pls are my favs after one listen

Aaron Mook likes this.
  2. Aaron Mook Oct 17, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 19, 2017)
    oh hell yeah, those are the two i was most worried about lol

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  3. Aaron Mook Oct 18, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 18, 2017)
    IT'S HERE. GLOW is now available to stream and share in its entirety courtesy of Substream Magazine!!

Would love to hear any thoughts you have even if you fucking hate it because I sincerely appreciate anyone taking the time to listen :heart:

EmmanuelSCastle and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  4. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Awesome, can't wait to listen to this after class later!! Been a good year for chorus Peeps and their bands, and the singles have been gr8 for this too

Aaron Mook likes this.
  5. Aaron Mook Oct 18, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 18, 2017)
    @nohandstoholdonto Sorry I didn't get you a download, I actually haven't sent any out and have been solely relying on the stream! Hopefully the premiere stream works better for you!

@Drew Beringer I know you're a DIIV fan, this might be up your alley

6. (I'll stop bumping this thread constantlyand beating everyone over the head with this now. Thanks for all your support. You're wonderful. :heart:)

7. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Beautiful art. Liked the first song a lot. Will definitely be listening tomorrow.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  8. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Amazing record

Aaron Mook likes this.
  9. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

I’ll listen to the full thing later tonight. Now play a show that I can go to.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  10. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

This is really great Aaron

Aaron Mook likes this.
  11. Ohio's not far!

Thank youuu :heart::heart::heart:

12. TripleD123

Recently stumbled into your music and found this sight while trying to figure out who was behind this amazing sound. CANT. STOP. LISTENING. Seriously, incredibly nice work! Nice enough for me to create a login just so I could pay you compliments. Well done!

Aaron Mook likes this.
  13. This is seriously the best feeling considering some people lurk on this site daily and never both to make an account. Thank you sincerely for taking the time to listen and send some kind words. I'm so glad you enjoy the album!

The album passed 10k plays this weekend on our Bandcamp (for reference, it took a full year for Hypnausea to hit 1k) and we've almost completely payed our label back for preorders from the money we've made through digital downloads, so a huge thanks to everyone here that has taken the time to listen and support. Preorders should be ready to ship very soon.

ChiliTacos and Contender like this.
  14. TripleD123

that's awesome and congrats! I'm curious. Often, I'll discover wonderful music on Bandcamp, but because I pay $15/month for the Apple Family Music Plan, I feel I may be cheating the artist by downloading from Apple and not Bandcamp. Are you comfortable helping me understand if you're compensated the same or does one service pay you more? I'm sincerely asking as I feel so guilty and want to make sure you're getting your proper compensation so you can keep making amazing music!

15. Don't feel guilty! We definitely make more if someone decides to purchase the album on Bandcamp vs. streaming it anywhere, but Richie and I both subscribe to Apple Music out of convenience, so we completely unerstand people listening to it that way. Luckily for us, it's not making the music that costs too much (mostly just mastering fees). It's moreso having tapes and CDs made. But Flowerpot Records has been great about fronting that money for us.

16. teebs41 likes this.
  17. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

oh i never checked in but uuuuh i love this lol it's great music to just vibe to but whenever i dig in there's always something cool happening. great work here aaron!

Aaron Mook likes this.
  18. Really happy you dig it!

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  19. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

just wondering, how was the album written? collaboratively? each person brought in their own songs? music written together, lyrics separate or vice versa? curious about it is all

Aaron Mook likes this.
  20. Yeah! So Richie demos the guitar, bass and drums himself. We listen together and decide what songs we think are gonna fit the release, which ones aren't, etc. Then we decide on a drum tone for each song and program those - this can take a while. Then, I'll write keyboard parts for each demo, and we'll record that, along with any final guitar or bass tracks that might need redone.

Vocals come last. During the process, we'll both start to get an idea for which tracks are our personal favorites and start writing to those. Sometimes we'll get the ones we want and sometimes we won't. Like, I knew I wanted to sing on the "Bloodshade" demo immediately, but a lot of those lyrics were originally written for "How's Yr Head." I also really wanted to do "Rearview," but Richie happened to have something really personal written for that song, so that's just how it shook out. It's a pretty loose process and we're not too hung up on who gets how many tracks. Lyrically, I think we try to find some middle ground, but we tend to write alone with minimal editing from the other person. The songs on GLOW are largely about rough patches in relationships, but some of the songs are about breaking up while others are about working it out. "Pls" is a song about the process of separating from a friend I found out was an abuser. So I guess the resounding theme of the album is letting go of all the bullshit that traps us emotionally and taking those first steps toward personal peace.

Sorry for rambling. We haven't had a lot of press for the record and it's fun to answer questions like this. We do have an awesome interview with When The Sun Hits coming out sometime next week, though. Hopefully somewhere in that mess of an answer you found something insightful, haha.

21. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

definitely, this is really interesting. like, it's super obvious that this is an album and not just a collection of songs that you guys amassed, you know? so i was wondering how the construction of that went. i think that looseness of process shines through in a good way; the songs never overstay their welcome and i think that's a result of that looseness, if that makes sense. did the music dictate the kind of lyrics you guys wrote? since it's thematically similar? or was that just coincidence?

Aaron Mook likes this.
  22. I'm glad it feels that way, because it's hard for me to listen to the album without nitpicking certain parts. There were songs that I liked that got left on the cutting room floor, probably for the better, and those may be released as part of an EP next year.

I was prepared to answer 'not particularly' to your question, but the more I thought about it, how could it not? "Lady of the Lake" definitely captured the vibe of that "letting go of all the bullshit" mantra. We knew immediately that it would be the closing track. Hell, "Pls" is one of mine, but initially, I was torn between loving and absolutely hating those Modest Mouse-sounding guitars during the verses. It wasn't until I wrote lyrics that were equally as conflicting that the song really clicked for me.

So while I'm absolutely happy with, proud of and overwhelmed by the reaction to this album, I think the goal for the next one is to tighten up the process a bit. Not too much -- I like that there's a looseness that seems to shine through -- but I want to try settling on a thematic/lyrical concept before writing. I want to become a better musician and contribute some guitar and bass parts next time around. I want to expand on the parts of this album that work, and also try some new things. I guess that's obvious because it's probably what every band's goal should be, haha.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  23. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

My wife is a florist so I'm going to check out this later!

Contender and Aaron Mook like this.
  24. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

gonna check this out today

Aaron Mook likes this.
  25. As good a reason as any!
    Thanks! Glad to see you made it over from AP. Definitely interested in hearing your thoughts. (Also need to check out your music if you happen to have a link to it.)

primavera likes this.