Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

First Reformed (Paul Schrader, June 22, 2018, A24) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Dog with a Blog, Mar 29, 2018.

1. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

This is my top of the year right now, but Eighth Grades really giving it a run fr its money. Between those and Hereditary, what a FUCKING moment A24 is having.

2. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Finally got around to seeing this, absolutely loved it. It's pretty heavy handed at times, but didn't ruin it for me. Ethan Hawke is so good

3. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Rewatched American Gigolo for the first time in years today and I was struck by how much Richard Gere looked like Ethan Hawke in it. Never thought they were similar at all but having that movie on the brain while watching was super interesting.

4. One of my favorite movies this year. I watched it last week and it still creeps into my thoughts every day.

5. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Eh

6. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Thought this was pretty great.

I Am Mick likes this.
  7. dlemert

Trusted

Finally saw this last night. Absolutely loved the first 2/3 but gonna have to let the final act marinade around a little longer. The magical mystery tour scene is a definite turning point for me, the rest of the movie from that point on feels like a dream. Still, a top 5 of the year for me and I'll likely come around to thinking it a masterpiece here pretty soon.

8. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

This, in the best way, was something else

9. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Paul Schrader out here saying some of the dumbest shit I’ve ever heard

10. username

hey you lil piss baby

Imagine being the person that tweeted that out and your biggest takeaway is that he’s ruining his chance at winning a trophy

11. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

What an idiot

12. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

“All art is a crime” like what the fuck does that even mean my man?

13. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

OH MY GOD.

I was reminded of how terrible Ethan Hawke is recently so my interest in revisiting this was already low, but that's definitely the nail in the coffin. So much awful compounded into one comment.

14. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Jesus God

15. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

the 72 year old man doesn't fucking get it, shocking

16. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Oh no, what’d Ethan Hawke do?

17. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

He was really abusive to Uma Thurman during their marriage, can’t remember if there was other stuff. I think it’s one of those things that I knew about a long time ago but didn’t internalize, and it’s deifntely not as well known as others I don’t think. Still hurt to see and realize I had been supporting him since then.

18. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Damn, never heard that, really disappointing as I’m actually a huge fan, puts a lot of his work in a different perspective now.

19. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah. I’m trying to find an article for you that sums it up but I’m having trouble. I remember he like cheated on her while she was pregnant and basically made it seem like he had a right to her body or something, just a lot of really gross misogyny kind of stuff. I know the divorce wrecked both of them. I don’t know if there’s anything else since then or if he’s tried to change or whatever, but that kind of thing just sticks with me.

jkauf likes this.
  20. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Oh man this was fuckin’ good. Loved the ending actually.

21. Dog with a Blog

Damn. This might be the best movie I’ve seen this year.

22. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

spoiler it is

yung_ting likes this.
  23. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

it is the best film of the year, yes

24. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

also my favorite of the year

I also have barely seen any new movies this year though

25. username

hey you lil piss baby

I count it as 2017 cause I use festival dates but it’s in my top 10 for that year.