Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

First Reformed (Paul Schrader, June 22, 2018, A24) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Dog with a Blog, Mar 29, 2018.

1. skoopy

Regular

Wow this was just unrelentingly suffocating like few movies I've seen. Saw this instead of Hereditary and I feel as though I may have seen the more frightening film.

EASheartsVinyl and williek311 like this.
  2. tumbleweedterror

music is all we got

Already seen this twice and it's the best of the year imo, I can't stop thinking about it.

3. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

This was great.

4. username

hey you lil piss baby

I watched Scorsese's Bringing Out the Dead last night (written by Schrader) and found a lot of parallels between that film and First Reformed. It's Scorsese in the 90s, so the aesthetic is far less austere than First Reformed, but the narrative almost feels like a test run for First Reformed. The film also explores the burden of empathy, examining a man with seemingly the weight of the world on his back. I think these films compliment each other well.

Also, if anyone is looking to watch more Schrader, his 1992 film Light Sleeper is on Mubi right now for another 20 days. If you're looking for a free trial to check it out, feel free to use my referral link If you like cinema, you'll love MUBI.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  5. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

This was just pure unrelenting suffering. Honestly don't know how I feel about the ending but when the drain cleaner showed up, Julien Baker popped into my head. "Make my insides clean with the kitchen bleach". So I think I saw the ending coming but didn't fully realize it?
    Felt a bit heavy handed but overall I think I enjoyed it, a lot to process.

6. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Wow I was not prepared for this. I absolutely loved it but I agree that seeing Hereditary was way less terrifying. I grew up in a church and so many things just hit me like a ton of bricks. Definitely need to process the ending but that opening song foreshadowing was incredible.

7. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

checking this out now, finally

8. primavera

yeah, that’s gonna be a fuck no outta me

9. username

hey you lil piss baby

Incorrect

10. primavera

it certainly was not a fuck yes outta me

11. username

hey you lil piss baby

That’s too bad.

I think it’s quite a challenging film (especially in its pacing, which feels more like a Bresson film from the 50s than anything coming out these days). So I get why people would reject it. But I think the proclaimating that it’s horrible seems a little extreme. Idk, I think it’s a borderline masterpiece.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  12. primavera

I’m glad you enjoyed it. I really wanted to. One of the movies I’ve anticipated most in a long time.

13. username

hey you lil piss baby

I still can't believe the same distributor as dead farting Harry Potter picked this up.

yung_ting likes this.
  14. username

hey you lil piss baby

I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm curious why you disliked this so much, if you feel like sharing.

15. primavera

I feel like the writing is getting heavily praised and it feels more akin to Schrader’s direct to VOD stuff than his classics, to me. I found the structure fairly clumsy and heavy-handed, though I suppose part of the heavy-handedness was by design. As for the direction, part of it could be being spoiled by what can be done in 2018, but i feel like it was fairly simple and lacking any sort of stylistic craft or flourish. Not that every movie has to be 2049 or whatever, but even The Rider a few weeks ago had a flair behind the camera that impressed me more than this. The acting was pretty incredible across the board, though i’m not a huge fan of Michael Gaston. Whatever, he was a fairly inconsequential role. I’m fine with the praise ethan and amanda are getting. Idk, i’m rambling a bit. Just feel like it wasn’t quite as well crafted as i’m hearing everyone else seems to think it was. And again, while i’m sure it was the point as i said, the level of relentlessnesss the back half had kept me at a distance from appreciating it.

stayillogical likes this.
  16. username

hey you lil piss baby

Fair enough. I know our approach to cinema is quite different. I'm not fussed about writing (wrt plot and/or dialogue) and acting in the tradition sense. I actually loved the cold, stage-like aesthetic to the film. I think it mirrors and even strengthens the ideas of the film to not have it be very flashy. I spoke about Scorsese's Bringing Up the Dead earlier and I think that film parallels this one in many ways, Scorsese's more bombastic direction makes it the weaker film.

I saw Schrader speak about a year ago about slow cinema and "transcendental style," where he spoke about directors like Bresson and Dreyer, and a lot of his ideas come across in this film (which he briefly spoke about too, as the sort of tribute to those film makers). Idk. Too bad you weren't into it, because I think it's one of the great American films of the decade.

primavera likes this.
  17. username

hey you lil piss baby

Oh, and in looking up that Schrader talk again, I found that there is actually a full video of the talk. If anyone is interested in flipping through it. It's not related to First Reformed, but the entire talk is hinged on the major influences of the film.

18. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I totally agree that the claustrophobic and still style reminded me so much more of European films than what is usually a major release here. So much of Bergman and Bresson as has been mentioned, and taking the themes of his earlier work but ramping it up by keeping everything so internal and simple. I did not expect it to be so totally overwhelming and dreadful the entire time, but the inspirations make a lot of sense for that feeling.

19. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

This movie was extremely fucked up and perfect, but I'm never recommending it to anyone.

20. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

I can't stop thinking about this.

21. Morrissey

Trusted

This is the best kind of film to wash my mouth out after Jurassic Park 5.

22. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

I'm patiently waiting for VOD

23. Dog with a Blog

Can’t believe I still haven’t seen this. Contemplating just ordering the Blu-ray it’s only like $18

24. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Doesn’t sound like a welcomed repeat viewing so I’ll hold back

25. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah as good as it was it’s definitely going to be a once a decade kind of thing.