Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

First Man (Damien Chazelle, October 12, 2018) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Anthony_, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Samesies

Connor likes this.
  2. drewinseries

Drew

Yeah, I though the scenes with her very powerful. Especially the shot of her hair when she was lying in bed, that really got to me as a young, innocent being.

Connor likes this.
  3. flask

Trusted Supporter

I’m trying to wrap my head around “I knew nothing of this child’s personal life, therefore their death does not impact me emotionally”

coleslawed and Connor like this.
  4. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Going to see this in IMAX tonight. The theater by me does $5 Tuesdays and apparently that applies to IMAX as well so get to see it for 5 bucks. Not bad.

5. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Seeing this in full IMAX tonight with my parents; pretty excited. $16 tickets though....

coleslawed likes this.
  6. Ferrari333SP Oct 26, 2018
    (Last edited: Oct 31, 2018)
    Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

This film blew me away; I have to admit I actually cried a bit in the scene in his house, after Karen's funeral, where he goes into his room, puts the bracelet in the drawer, and starts crying himself. That hit me hard, for various reasons. A few other points made me emotional as well, but most especially the Moon shots near the end. My mouth was literally wide open, and I nearly started crying for how beautiful the whole setting was, how insanely epic and inspiring it was we actually got up there, that the human spirit produced that achievement.

Gosling just absolutely crushed it playing Armstrong; completely made me believe he really was Armstrong, giving us the deepest insight into Armstrong thoughts, emotions, struggles, triumphs. The whole cast really was pretty amazing. I really liked how they used the real audio from Neil during the moonwalk scene.

Overall, just top notch filmmaking

7. Lucas27

Trusted

This movie was unbelievable.

8. Lucas27

Trusted

Smallest detail ever, but when he’s looking out of the elevator as they go up to board the Apollo and you can’t see the ship well because of the reflection of the lamp. Most movies would give you a clear view of the rocket as they approach it, but mundane stuff like that made me feel like I was actually there. Such an intimate view of such a huge event.

coleslawed and Ferrari333SP like this.
  9. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

Just seen this and I loved it which is despite me generally not being on board with biographical films but this had so much more going for it than just a series of events that have been long documented.

10. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Excited to see this tonight.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  11. Morrissey

Trusted

This was all right. It was much better than La La Land; the film managed to make an inevitability like the Moon landing actually feel a bit like a risk. Outside of that, it felt distant at times. By trying to include so many historical figures it makes it harder to care about them. The Apollo 1 disaster is well-done, but how long did we even spend with those characters before?

The film was shot well, avoiding a lot of the worst trends in modern action set pieces. Chazelle has expanded his influences quite a bit, but whether or not that is a good thing will take more films to figure out.

12. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I actually really enjoyed this when I saw it- especially how it didnt frame Neil as an American hero, or even as a good husband/father, but rather as somebody so deeply-rooted in his grief that he wanted to escape planet Earth.

13. flask

Trusted Supporter

I saw it as a man grieving but he just uses his job as an escape. His job just happens to be going to the moon. Either way I loved that it wasn’t simply Neil Armstrong is a MANS MAN bringing AMERICA to the moon.

Connor likes this.
  14. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Still the only film I've ever cried at in my life

Connor and flask like this.
  15. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

You can't separate the novelty from his job. He lost a whole group of his peers during the Apollo 1 disaster which in-turn made him even more obsessed. Whether it was a desire to beat death or just greet it, he wanted the danger.

Mrplum5089, coleslawed and Connor like this.
  16. Maverick

Trusted

Saw this last night, still very emotional just thinking about the ending with the bracelet.. still makes me tear up.

Connor likes this.
  17. Maverick

Trusted

I mean damn.. I really really liked Whiplash and La La Land is my favorite musical considering I’m not a fan of musicals at all. But I really underestimated what Chazelle could do with Armstrong. Plus Justin Hurwitz has delivered another fantastic score, my favorite track being “Houston.” Definitely deserves to be nominated for best score and all the works for the movie including acting too.

18. secretsociety92

That is a good part of the score but my personal favourite parts are "Docking Waltz", "Apollo 11 Launch" and "The Landing".

Maverick and Connor like this.
  19. secretsociety92

I'm happy that the score for this won at the Golden Globes, easily my favourite of the year.

BackyardHero11, Joe, Connor and 2 others like this.
  20. flask

Trusted Supporter

The launch scene score was stuck in my head all weekend so i listened to the score while playing spider man and man such a beautiful array of styles. Had no idea this won last night but it deserves it.

21. Maverick Jan 29, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 29, 2019)
    Maverick

Trusted

I rewatched this on a flight back from Chicago to LA and whoa, that was something. Aside from the fact that I picked up on a lot more things it was pretty freaky watching scenes in space of shaking spacecrafts occasionally coinciding with minor turbulence on the plane I'm on. Oh and no, they weren't playing that for everyone. It was just me with my headphones on watching the movie from my laptop. But the constant tremor of the plane kind of added a extra intense layer to the experience.

coleslawed and aoftbsten like this.
  22. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I was watching Almost Famous on a flight and there was heavy turbulence during the where they're caught in the storm while flying. It really does make that kind of stuff way too intense haha.

Maverick likes this.
  23. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I like to watch the beginning of the movie Flight on a plane over and over and over

24. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Won Visual Effects!

25. jorbjorb

7 rings

Watched this on a plane and was blown away.

coleslawed, Maverick and Ferrari333SP like this.