Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

First Man (Damien Chazelle, October 12, 2018) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Anthony_, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Some of the cinematography with the family felt like they were going for a Malick-esque vibe. The way the camera was gliding through spaces and lots of close-ups.

Lucas27, Connor, Zilla and 1 other person like this.
  2. It hit studio expectations:
    In third we come to the weekend's first new wide release in Universal's First Man, which managed to deliver on studio expectations, but fell short of Mojo's pre-weekend forecast. The film delivered a $16.5 million, three-day which is just over one million more than the $15.3 million opening for Brdge of Spies back in October 2015. That film went on to deliver a 4.7x multiplier with over $72 million domestically and Universal is hoping for a similar performance from First Man, which received a rather light "B+" CinemaScore from opening day audiences (Bridge of Spies received an "A") while playing well with critics to the tune of an 88% rating on RottenTomatoes. The film played to an audience that was 56% male, playing to an audience of which 52% were 35 years of age or older.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  3. flask

Trusted Supporter

Gonna go watch this after work. 1:30 showing should be nice and empty.

4. drewinseries

Drew

This was really great. I had little to know knowledge on the history behind it, and had no idea so many people died in testing. The entire moon sequence was incredibly surreal. Some of the pans back to Earth were haunting.

Lucas27, Connor and Slangster like this.
  5. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

This knocked me on my ass. Agree with everyone about the technical aspects, all the flight sequences are stunning. But this also hit me emotionally way more than I expected.

Connor likes this.
  6. flask

Trusted Supporter

Damn I loved this. I was really engrossed by all the family drama and loved a lot of the home scenes. The part where Neil and his wife are trying to punish their son but can't stop laughing was so good. All of the space scenes are insane especially that Gemini 8 launch. You have to be out of your mind to strap in for that ride.

Connor and SteveLikesMusic like this.
  7. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I loved Neil turning the family meeting into basically a press conference.

8. drewinseries

Drew

Yeah that was a really interesting scene.

9. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Yeah this was fantastic. Everything worked for me. Claire Foy was amazing. Plus the supporting cast is just insane in this thing.. Ciaran Hinds, Kyle Chandler, Shea Wigham, Lukas Haas, Patrick Fugit and Jason Clarke.... all great actors. The cinematography was excellent. And damn... the soundtrack was just beautiful.

And making it more internalized for Armstrong was great. Really moving to have it be about him dealing with tragedy.

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  10. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

My dude three-peated

Lucas27, Dan Quinlan and Connor like this.
  11. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

i and i alone will determine whether or not he has one-peated when i see this friday

12. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I was expecting his wife to interrupt and say “Neil, these are your kids, not the press”

Zilla likes this.
  13. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I knew very little about Armstrong’s life prior to this and setting the tone with his daughter’s death is what made this a good character study. Despite knowing he made it to the moon and back in one piece, dropping her bracelet in the crater carried more emotional weight than if they portrayed the planting of the flag

Dan Quinlan, Connor and Mrplum5089 like this.
  14. dqwinny

THRILLHOUSE Supporter

i cant stop listening to "docking waltz"

15. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

This was solid. I loved the claustrophobic cinematography and shots on the moon were incredible. Focusing on Neil's issues in dealing with tragic events was a nice direction to take it in.

16. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

This but "Quarantine" for me

Dan Quinlan likes this.
  17. Definitely "The Landing" for me. That melody is just too good.

18. flask

Trusted Supporter

Going through the soundtrack now. Wasn't sure if that ringing at the beginning of Spin was part of the soundtrack or an alarm in the ship when I was watching the movie. Kinda cool that its soundtrack. When that guy was performing Whitey on the Moon I was like huh...he seems familiar. Sure enough its Leon Bridges. I think the Armstrong tracks are my favorite. So beautiful and melancholy.

19. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Is this worth seeing in IMAX?

Connor likes this.
  20. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

I’d say it’s a must. The moon sequence is absolutely gorgeous in IMAX.

Also The Armstrong’s is easily my favorite soundtrack music this year

21. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

I wish I could've seen this in IMAX, may make the trek next weekend.

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

There was something super Stepfordesque about Janet, like she existed so much as a wife and mom she apparently never left the house or had a life or interests, occasionally she was allowed to go to NASA and yell at Coach Taylor but besides that it was like the house had a forcefield or she had an ankle monitor, like almost a metafeminist take on how society views women
    Gosling was great and totally became the role
    I guess Neil Armstrong actually packed his own bag pre flight not his wife Elton
    needed more Buzz but every scene with him was great
    this was good but I definitely preferred watching Hidden Figures because it was you know fun but also wasn't just a bunch of white guys we never really get to know, Pat and Janet were both just wives

coleslawed likes this.
  23. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Really liked Whiplash and La La Land but I HATED most of this. The space scenes had a good amount of tension to them, but the movie felt pretty cold to me. when you hang the big emotional stakes for the film on the death of a child we meet for less than 5 minutes, it takes a lot to sell it and I don't think that was accomplished.

24. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

i really hope you never lose someone. you clearly haven’t to this point if that’s how you feel about it.

25. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

It worked for me. Majorly.

Slangster, Connor and Jake Gyllenhaal like this.