Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

First Man (Damien Chazelle, October 12, 2018) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Anthony_, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Morrissey

Trusted

Pretty much all of them. I don't really judge his performances because he ultimately works for the director, and he has been with a lot of bad directors. I don't really have an opinion on his acting ability.

He was in Song to Song, though, and that is very good.

2. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Damn, that's a pretty rare opinion. I could list off a dozen of his movies that range from at least decent to amazing.

3. Michael Qualiano

mikeq

Of all of the Ryan Gosling movies, you mention Song to Song as being very good...get outta here lol

Connor likes this.
  4. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

TETRAAAAAAA

coleslawed likes this.
  5. Michael Qualiano

mikeq

Ryan is a supreme talent. Blue Valentine and Half Nelson demonstrate that clearly (Not to mention The Nice Guys, La La Land, PBTP, The Ides of March, Drive, Lars and the Real Girl, and others)

Connor and coleslawed like this.
  6. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Blade Runner 2049 should not be demoted to "and others"

7. Lucas27

Trusted

As far as Damien Chazelle goes, Whiplash was brilliant. La La Land was brilliant. I just don't understand the backlash for La La Land at all. If it had stayed under the radar the same way Whiplash did, I have no doubt it wouldn't get the criticism it does. So many people say "meh" to anything that gets hype. I know that's not where @Morrissey is coming from, but in general that seemed to be the attitude with people. It's so cynical.

First Man looks amazing. Most anticipated of the year by far.

Connor likes this.
  8. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I actually do like Freddy Got Fingered, haha. I was a big fan of Tom Green back in the day.

Anyway, a few people on Chorus FM giving La La Land criticism does not outweigh the fact that La La Land was outrageously successful and well-liked by the masses. To suggest that Chazelle needs to 'recover' after La La Land is asinine. I almost feel like you're trolling at this point.

9. Morrissey

Trusted

Not at all. I can only talk about my own point of view. TJ Wells pointed out that there seems to be less interest in the movie because of the reaction to La La Land. I didn't like La La Land, therefore I am less interested. It doesn't matter if the masses liked it or didn't like it; I didn't like it. No one is trolling; I assume everyone that says they liked it actually liked it. For Chazelle to "recover", I am talking about my own interest in his career. "Recover" is relative to what you think the problem is; there are people who think Trevorrow needs to go back to his independent film days, but his new films (that I and others think are awful) make billions of dollars.

Film is not like running track or lifting weights where we have objective measurement. What I see as room for recovery is someone else's masterpiece.

OhTheWater likes this.
  10. ncarrab Aug 30, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 30, 2018)
    ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I also don't really see the 'less interest in this film' angle either. It's been buzzing for the past 48 hours since its premiere at Venice and is off to startling reviews again - six weeks before its release.

Jason Tate likes this.
  11. username

hey you lil piss baby

Can’t decide if I should see this at TIFF (I already have a ticket) or trade it to see Cold War (which doesn’t come out until a few months later. Didn’t like La La Land at all and soured on Whiplash on second viewing, but I’m still curious about Chazelle. Plus, I want to see what he does with material originally meant for Eastwood.

12. lol I knew this was coming

Connor likes this.
  13. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

LaLa Land was okay. Not a masterpiece imo

14. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

claire foy’s accent work is tough stuff man

15. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

People are upset because they don’t show Armstrong planting the flag into the moon. American people are stupid.

16. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

17. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Why do people jerk off about the flag?

18. username

hey you lil piss baby

Patriots are wild

19. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Just saw this on reddit:

“New Film about Neil Armstrong Omits American Flag From Moon Landing
    New Film About Neil Armstrong Omits American Flag From Moon Landing

Neil Armstrong Movie Doesn't Feature American Flag.
    Neil Armstrong Movie Doesn't Feature American Flag

Friendly reminder that the only entities who have released misleading headlines about the film are Fox News and Breitbart, both conservative organizations. They are trying to piss you off on purpose with misinformation and lies.

The flag is in the film, it's shown multiple times, and everyone involved with this film (including Armstrong's children) say it is done in a respectful and important manner.

Don't succumb to manufactured outrage. See the movie yourself, soak it in, and then form your opinion on the subject.”

coleslawed likes this.
  20. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Imagine being upset about this...

SpyKi likes this.
  21. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

22. ... while subjugating yourself to Donald Trump, the walking antitheses of "patriotism," in the same breath.

Connor likes this.
  23. username

hey you lil piss baby

I’m not a fan of Chazelle’s work by any means, but I thought this was great! Technically marvellous and consistently thrilling. Loved the 16mm and 35mm photography, and the IMAX sequences towards the end had me in complete awe (especially seeing in IMAX, which I didn’t know was the case before showing up).

SpyKi likes this.
  24. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

It's fucking WEIRD to see Chazelle becoming, like...hated? Maybe not hated, but ripped on, at least in certain shitty internet circles. The man is ridiculously talented and will make multiple great films over the course of his career. Is it all because of La La Land?

Connor, ncarrab and coleslawed like this.
  25. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

is he hated or do people just feel like he gets more hype than his career has necessarily warranted to this point?