Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fireworks Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Iago, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

how TWY got so huge and Fireworks stayed in the shadows a little will always confound me. i think it had something to do with the live show.

Bryan Diem likes this.
  2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

honestly when i saw fireworks they were pretty dorky live

3. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Love fireworks but their live show pales in comparison to TWY.

While I reckonize the great songwriting of fireworks, Wonder Years songs are so a lot catchier.

4. abear182

Regular

Wish I could go back to this show :hearteyes:

5. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Favorite song.

GEM37 likes this.
  6. Micah511

The craziest show i have ever been to was MDAM/Fireworks/TWY in an old firehouse in birmingham al. right before both gospel and suburbia came out.

Mister Lyrical likes this.
  7. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Twy records were a lot better produced and sound pretty big and flashy, so they have more immediate appeal. But fireworks were compositonally and lyrically better, plus didn't have Soupys annoying ass yelling

Brenden likes this.
  8. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

fireworks couldn't decide between doing catchy fuckboy pop punk like FYS or emo-leaning (dare i say "experimental") pop punk like TWY. i think that made a lot of people hesitant towards giving them a fair listen

Bryan Diem likes this.
  9. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I don't think Fireworks were trying to go for either of those actually

10. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

Fireworks is basically a bands band - if that makes sense. They should've been huge and everyone wanted to tour with them and promote them (I think Soupy really pushed them) - but for some reason they didn't blow up. It's like the fans of the bands they toured with didn't understand them and get their music. That's me speculating. All I know for sure is that I miss them.

Barcara, FTank, smowashere and 4 others like this.
  11. felipecardel

i'll rephrase it. it's not that they were going for it, but there was a clear distinction in sound/lyricism/concepts between bands like FYS, SYG, Neck Deep and State Champs, and bands like TWY, MoBo and Better Off. i think Fireworks started off a little similar to the first four, then got progressively closer to the last three, but was always really kind of in the middle of it all

12. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I just remember going to their second to last show and my brother was at their last and between the two there may have been 200 people. Sort of sad when you think of it.

Bryan Diem likes this.
  13. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

If I had stopped listening to them after their first EP and album I could see what you're trying to say, but Gospel and (Oh), Common Life sound literally nothing like TWY, MoBo, or Better Off.

Joe4th likes this.
  14. felipecardel

of course these bands don't really sound alike between themselves, but they share a few traits. i don't really know how else to put it... they are more "serious" i guess? they put an emphasis on melodies instead of cheap hooks and gang vocals, and talk about depression, self-esteem and other more personal topics. also they flirt with other genres like emo and indie rock while the first batch of bands is pretty one-note

15. Micah511

they took the punk out of their sound. its not a popular term, but OCL is an awesome pop rock record.

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  16. Anthony_

I just think that reducing the achievements of Gospel and, especially, (Oh), Common Life to being "in the middle of FYS/State Champs and TWY/MoBo" kind of does Fireworks a disservice, personally. I'm a ride-or-die TWY fan for almost ten years and I can still admit that Gospel and (Oh), Common Life are about on par with TWY's best work in terms of quality and emotional impact.

Mister Lyrical likes this.
  17. felipecardel

they are amazing records that just kinda sound like a meeting point between those two "schools" of pop punk, that has nothing to do with quality

18. Actually I think Fireworks was just writing music they wanted to write, not what they thought people wanted to hear either way

incognitojones likes this.
  19. felipecardel

i rephrased it a minute later

popdisaster00 likes this.
  20. Anthony_

Sorry, I guess I just misunderstood the association you made between Fireworks and "catchy fuckboy pop-punk."

Night Channels likes this.
  21. felipecardel

oh it's just how i describe bands like FYS and State Champs

22. Anthony_

Right and I wouldn't mention those bands in the same breath as Fireworks, let alone the same sentence. Hence my confusion.

23. felipecardel

yeah i see how that would confuse you

24. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I discovered Fireworks opening up for FYS.

25. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

[​IMG]

Always loved this cover

Mister Lyrical and MFA like this.