Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fireworks Band • Page 12

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Iago, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Rob Hughes

Play the Yakuza series

WE DROVE THROUGH EAST LANSING SINGING MISFITS SONGS ON HALLOWEEN

ECV, Turkeylegz, sonder and 6 others like this.
  2. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

PERSONALLY OFFENDED. Haha naw

I know it’d be really hard to lyrically relate it to the death of Dave’s Dad seeing as it was written before it happened, but the first time I heard it was the summer after the Manscout Jamboree tour that they dropped off of and I couldn’t help but associate that song with that scenario and it always made me feel majorly sympathetic toward his situation given the tone in the song seems to emulate a sense of hopelessness that I can only imagine he felt.

3. Snoblin

I mean like... that’s 99% of every other pop punk band. Hahaha

GEM37 likes this.
  4. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

“my brain doesn’t feel the same as it did / four years ago, yeah it doesn’t exist / there’s just no method anymore / just madness and a meter / that’s keeping track as my time decreases” is extremely real to me

Bryan Diem likes this.
  5. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

"Birthdays and New Years
    Have just turned into deadlines
    And the worst part is
    There's only a month between mine"

Too real. Have a month between mine also. Well about 2 months.

Bryan Diem likes this.
  6. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Just listened to Gospel and OCL back-to-back thanks to all the discussion today. Love both a lot, I get more excited to hear Gospel bc of nostalgia but I think I came away thinking OCL is overall the better album due to its consistency. The highlights on Gospel will always be my absolute favorites though.

7. GEM37

She haunts the roads

I predict a reunion tour playing Gospel and O,CL back-to-back, 2025.

Ugly Mug likes this.
  8. Iago

forbidden chalice.

who else am i seeing at the 2025 reunion tour

9. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Anyone read the track by track on Oh, Common Life?

Fireworks - ‘Oh, Common Life’ track by track and “Glowing Crosses” video premiere - Features - Alternative Press

Always thought this bit about Bed Sores was really sad. Frames the line about "their husbands are dying inside" also

"I was a classic early-to-mid-20s American male: still living at home and not sure what I was doing with my life. There were a lot of nights that summer that I'd come home late and see the neighbor still awake with the lights on by herself. Her husband had just died in the house a few months prior. Their children had already grown up and moved out of state. At one time, buying that home was the happiest day of their lives, and they were probably around the age I am now."

10. adamlikesdogs Jan 30, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 30, 2018)
    adamlikesdogs

@meaninglessritual

Oh, Common Life is a masterpiece to me. My dad was diagnosed with cancer not long after this came out and Run Brother Run became one of the hardest fucking things in the world to listen to. This album, in so many ways, is just so so so sad--even the "oh oh oh's" on The Hotbed of Life sound sad--and the way they captured this sadness with music that is typically associated with either joy or teen angst is just perfect.

EDIT: Sorry if this was already posted, but if anyone needs a Dave-fix: Strangers Again, by Tea & Water

11. Bryan Diem

Trusted

The first verse of One More Creature describes my driving routine very accurately.

ECV and Ugly Mug like this.
  12. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Oh I thought I was emotionally ready to revisit tracks 7-11 of OCL. Got through the first 6 fine, used to hurt a little bit at track 3, but thought I was strong.

I was not ;_;

Ugly Mug likes this.
  13. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

The Back Window's Down is such a cool song. Simple choruses like that usually don't work for me, but just something about that one and Bed Sore sores back to back... heck, then Flies On Tape and Woods, that might be my favorite 4 song stretch from this band. Encapsulates everything they do well.

Ugly Mug and Bryan Diem like this.
  14. Snoblin

Definitely hope there’s a Milwaukee date on that 2025 tour. I hate having to drive down to Chicago.

15. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

a 10 year Gospel tour would do well, right? please...

Turkeylegz, Ugly Mug and Bryan Diem like this.
  16. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Assuming they don’t collapse from playing 23 Songs in a row, an ideal encore for said reunion would be...

Oh, Common Life (with super cool guitar feedback transition into)
    I Grew Up in a Legion Hall
    Detroit

Iago likes this.
  17. i know detroit is their go-to closer but ehhh

incognitojones likes this.
  18. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

19. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Closing with 2923 Monroe St.? Yuck.

20. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

oh common life -> one more creature dizzy with love -> wild bunch

would've wept horribly during this section

Bryan Diem and jordalsh like this.
  21. GEM37

She haunts the roads

As far as I’m aware, that’s the only time they did an encore the whole tour. Give ‘em a break.

I saw them on the last leg when they went through Seattle with Weatherbox. Crowd was small at an already small venue, but it also didn’t help that there were at least six bands on that bill (it might have been seven.) On a weeknight, no less. Traveled over an hour to see them, got there around 9:30, Fireworks definitely didn’t start until at least 11:30. I mean, I was happy to be there, but jeeeezzzz...

22. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Ha, fair enough then. That song just isn't a very good set closer IMO, especially for their last show ever.

23. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I was at their last show I don't think they ended up encoring with it but earlier on the tour when I saw them they did

I want to say they 100% closed with Detroit which makes sense but I would have accepted When We Stand On Eachother as well

Ugly Mug and SmithBerryCrunch like this.
  24. Snoblin

Listened to fireworks a lot this week. Often switching to bands like NFG and Valencia to try and objectively evaluate the arguments made this week. (While not expending a huge amount of effort towards the task.)

Needless to say I didn’t get a lot out of the endeavor.

I’m chalking the whole thing up to people who really like to talk about the hills they’re willing to die on. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

sonder and GEM37 like this.
  25. abear182

Regular

According to my Facebook Memories it's been 4 years since they streamed Oh Common Life a week early.

Where does the time go!?

sonder, Ugly Mug and AlwaysEvolving21 like this.