Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fire Emblem Franchise Video Game • Page 32

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by theagentcoma, Jul 22, 2019.

1. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

My first was normal/classic and my second will definitely be hard but I’m not sure if I’m going to go with classic or casual.

2. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I hate classic, it’s doesn’t suit my reckless style

Matt likes this.
  3. Shakriel

Cause I'm running low on these hours of mine Prestigious

I don't do classic, but I do my best to never let any of my characters die in battle and often restart, so it might as well be a classic playthrough. Just don't want the chance I could perm lose anyone.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  4. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I'm on hard classic right now and I let Felix die yesterday

5. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I've only let Ingrid and some useless guy with a bow die

6. The Lucky Moose

I even used phoenix mode in Fates, no consequences baby

7. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I'm on classic because I know no other way to play FE. that said I've used the Pulse maybe 3 times in 30 hours to save a character

zigbigwig and JRGComedy like this.
  8. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Classic mode is what makes Fire Emblem special, imo. You're REALLY losing those people etc. It's much easier now with Divine Pulse.

I'll never forget basically having to finish out Fates: Conquest in a suicide mission to win - everyone except Corrin died and it was..................sad. But evil was defeated.

zigbigwig, JRGComedy and Jake W like this.
  9. The Lucky Moose

I think that’s true for pre-Awakening, but now it has two fan bases that come to it for different reasons.

Also I think A LOT of people just kept resetting battles over and over again and that’s really not the point either.

For whatever it’s worth, I’m pretty sure casual mode and the sim aspects are what saved this franchise and what made it huge.

10. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Having struggled a ton with the GBA games and Radiant Dawn, I appreciate that they've made the game more accessible, even if I do prefer Classic Mode!

11. personalmaps

100% I have been really happy with Divine Pulse because I think it helps find the middle ground for everyone.

REally thinking abt letting Lorenz die though.............

JRGComedy likes this.
  12. Shakriel

Lorenz kind of sucks. but does seem like he wants to genuinely help people, too.

13. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Lol I remember when Battle Save became a thing and it felt like a gift from the heavens.

Did you ever play Radiant Dawn? Even though you could battle save, they didn't include a button to get from the battlefield back to the main menu to start over if a character died. You had to go to the Wii home menu and relaunch the whole game hahaha

14. personalmaps

oh my godddd ahaha. I never got to play that one, but Path of Radiance is probably my overall favorite. When I think of traumatic Fire Emblem stuff, I think of that 4-part Serenes Forest chapter where you couldn't go back to the convoy or anything until the whole thing was over.

JRGComedy likes this.
  15. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I hated in the first GBA game that even when you finally could bring the armory and shop with you and get a convoy, it appeared as an actual tent on the map that you had to protect haha

16. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

Lorenz becomes tolerable by the end. Post time skip he gets better. A lot of people won’t be won over (and I don’t blame them), but I feel like he really matured after and was aware he was wrong and creepy in his teenager days. not my favorite character by any means, but he’s ok

17. Shakriel

Will be interesting to see his post time skip development then! I didnt bother with getting him my first playthrough, and now he's just on my team.

Just need like Sylvain and someone from BE and I'll have recruited everyone I can in this playthrough, even if i dont use most of them.

zigbigwig likes this.
  18. zigbigwig

and imo casual plays a LOT differently vs classic.

the former you get to attempt to not let anyone die but you aren’t punished when you fail. if i was playing casual i’d be more willing to throw those crit gambles. but in classic you have to minimize those risks, so you become more defensive. it doesn’t show that much in lower difficulties because you can OHKO everyone but in lunatic and up, things like pavise/aegis and the vantage type abilities i assume becomes more important.

said this before, but anyone who’s playing in a harder difficulty should really check out Into the Breach. it strips out all the non-strategy aspects and focuses on polished gameplay instead. there’s some rng involved but not to the point that you can’t control it.

19. The Lucky Moose

I don’t think that the casual option takes anything away from the hardcore option though. If you want hardcore, play hardcore.

zigbigwig likes this.
  20. Shakriel

I'll have to check out Into the Breach, though I do like the non-strategy parts of FE a lot, haha

21. zigbigwig Aug 23, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 23, 2019)
    zigbigwig

i def think having casual mode is a good thing. more options is always better. i have friends who wouldn’t even touch the game because of permadeath before awakening, but now they’re huge fans.

even my wife who was so intimated by FE before is now playing hard mode on her next playthrough. she thought it was great to have an option to let you understand the mechanics in a safer space

they added a mechanic in FE that lets you see the opponent’s next action + damage/hit rate.

that’s the entire gimmick of Into the Breach. you see what the AI does next and you try and prevent it. it sounds easy enough but you also have to be planning for your future turns. it’s really fun (and hard)

The Lucky Moose and JRGComedy like this.
  22. Shakriel

Sounds cool enough. I always like these types of games, plus it's on the Switch.

Might pick up the Grandia coillection and PHoenix Wright trilogy since that's on sale and i havent played in years first though.

The Lucky Moose and zigbigwig like this.
  23. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Damn I got Grandia, Link's Awakening, and Into the Breach to worry about after this

zigbigwig and Jake W like this.
  24. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Lmao almost made it three whole play throughs without truly losing a match, and I fuck it up because I allow half my team - including my two strongest - to die to get to Edelgard in the final Demitri level but the whole time I didn’t realize that she had all the extra health bars, so I get through one of them and she’s still standing and I realize I’m fucked. Perfect

JRGComedy likes this.
  25. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

I thought I was starting to get tired of this game, put it down yesterday to start playing the Dragon Quest XI demo, then I picked it back up today and played for four hours straight haha. Hard mode is definitely what I would call normal mode on other FE games, it’s pretty well-balanced difficulty wise - makes you actually stop and think about what you’re doing but is not prohibitively or frustratingly challenging. Interested to see what ‘lunatic’ will be like.