Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Finding Dory (Andrew Stanton, June 17th 2016) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, May 24, 2016.

1. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

Did anyone else think it was super weird when the school of fish asked if Dory was dead and then was bummed out when they found out she was still alive?? I did a double take at that scene but then my wife confirmed that was, in fact, what happened. WTF is wrong with those fish kids rooting for the death of their teacher's aid?

Overall agree with the sentiment of most people here that the movie was enjoyable if lacking a bit of the Pixar magic of many of their other films.

2. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I don't remember that at all

3. omgrawr

This Article from The Ringer addresses it in its first sentence:

"“Is she dead?” a young fish asks of a passed-out Dory (Ellen DeGeneres). “No, she’s not dead,” says an adult. The entire school of fish — students in fish school — groans with disappointment. “Aww, man!”

Well, damn."

Keep Pixar Weird — The Ringer

4. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I didn't hear the second part. Hmm

5. omgrawr

It would be kind of easy to miss the beginning goes pretty quickly. It struck me as a super odd, dark choice to have the kids want her to be dead.

6. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

I definitely thought it was an interesting choice. I think it was just for another laugh, but still, it's a film geared towards children, so weird choice.

omgrawr likes this.
  7. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

They seemed to be going for an idea of a team of "misfits" or characters with differing and non-traditional physical and mental states all coming together to work as a team, but when Becky and the seal are so intentionally one note/non-verbal/a punchline, it has an unintentional nastiness to me, like you can overcome and adapt to whatever mental and physical issues you have, unless they're severely out of the norm or you can't even form full sentences, then you're a joke/weirdo

aoftbsten likes this.
  8. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I loved this. Although I do agree that it was an odd choice to have the Becky and Jerry (Gerald?) as punchlines. Also, the short before it was fucking awesome.

9. Decent sequel. Liked that it examined the insecurities of all the characters and parenting a child with special needs. Didn't feel weird about Becky since it didn't seem like anyone was mean to her, but I did about Gerald. I was like, "He just wants to chill on the rock with you guys!" Wish it dug deeper into its themes, but I can't hold that against a kids movie. I think Inside Out has set the bar too high.

10. This was quite good, but not as good as Nemo.

The animation in Piper is outstanding.

11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Gerald killed it

12. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious