Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Finding Dory (Andrew Stanton, June 17th 2016) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, May 24, 2016.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

no thread yet huh

2. Smittzerland

First time long time (FKA musicfan9795) Prestigious

YES!!!!!!!

3. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Less than two weeks away new. Pretty excited

4. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

This looks like it's gonna make me have something in my eyes. Excited to see this.

5. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  6. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Early reviews looking good

ChaseTx likes this.
  7. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, this was very good. A nice progression of the story that doesn't rely too much on references to the first movie. Plus, you've got Stringer Bell and McNulty as sea lions.

Henry likes this.
  8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I want to see it for this alone.

9. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

trying to convince the girlfriend to see this tonight

10. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

If she says no leave her imo

11. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Made $9.2 million from Thursday screenings. Pretty insane numbers for an animated film. Looking to break the record for best opening weekend for an animated film, as well.

12. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

went last night to the standard version of it, obviously it was great. nothing like being a 28 year old male and getting emotional during animated films. thanks pixar.

Shakriel likes this.
  13. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

this is delightful. good laughs for the kids and the parents.

14. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Fucking hell we were crowded today, have to imagine this is doing insane numbers.

15. iCarly Rae Jepsen Jun 17, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 17, 2016)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Piper was so cute and lifelike and it's cool that Adrian Belew scored it
    and yeah this is great, I need a gif or vine of cuddle party ASAP

also anyone else think of Becky with the good hair anytime they mentioned Becky

16. Amazed how great this movie was.

17. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

ed o'neill and ty burrell were a great addition too

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  18. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

This was alright. It was certainly fun but outside of the Toy Story trilogy I'm not really into Pixar's prequels/sequels. Monsters University and Finding Dory are fine, but not as fresh or unique as the studio's best work. This film uses the same surface level plot mechanics as Finding Nemo, and it's just not as fun or exciting this time around. I definitely felt things though, Dory's arc worked pretty well even when I was sort of over everything else the film was doing.

In a film that seems to pretty overtly be about mental health (Dory and her memory loss, Hank and his PTSD), it seemed a little weird that two characters who clearly have some sort of mental health issue were such punchlines. The seal was purely a joke and Becky had like... magical powers where she could absorb the commands of fish and then dutifully and silently serve them, like a flying Hodor. Not like it ruined the movie or anything, it just felt a little incongruent with the film's central thematics.

19. It didn't give me the typical Pixar feely vibes, but it was good though!

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  20. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

every single time

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  21. I wrote a spoiler-free piece about the movie

In Defense of Dory, In Love with Pixar

It also has a lot of info about Pixar that some people may not know, but with an autobiographical spin on it.

22. "Never go full Minions."

Absolutely hilarious. That last little bit of trivia was terrifying though.

23. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

This was great.

24. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

This (obviously) wasn't as good as Nemo, and it didn't really do anything that different, but it was a very fun - and heartwarming - time. Glad I got to see a late show especially.

25. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

It was a very pleasant surprise to me that Dory's short term memory loss was no longer the joke but the emotional component to the movie. I have a family member who suffers short term memory loss as a result of a traumatic brain injury so a lot of those emotional beats hit for me. I felt they really achieved starting that conversation.
    I do agree with @Nathan that the inclusion of Gerald and Becky as comic relief felt pretty strange. I'd like to hear the creators explain those characters because it felt very tone deaf to me.