Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Finch Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by ChrisCantWrite, Oct 19, 2016.

1. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Say Hello to Sunshine is definitely the second, quite a bit of the first as well! They basically made a solid album of accessible post-hardcore/pop punk with their debut What It Is to Burn, then took a HARD pivot away from the mainstream elements of that album to make something much more raw, visceral, and weird. They basically said that they wanted to make an album that truly represented them as artists, and for me it's one of the biggest album-to-album improvements I've ever heard. But it bombed hard commercially, and the band never fully recovered. Even when they reunited (more than once), the artistic differences caused by SHTS flopping kept causing problems to the very end.

2. Horrorca

Trusted

I love stories like that - thank you

by the way, in keeping with Deftones theme... that's what make them great, the fact that so many creative differences exist between members (specially Chino vs. Stephen) and that they stick together even with that element present

3. beachdude

Yeah definitely... I wish Finch had been able to find a way to make it work similarly but I guess not every band can be Deftones haha

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  4. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

By far the best Finch record and overall, one of my most listened to records in the past 10 years.

5. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

I remember hearing Post Script on an Atticus comp and it absolutely blew me away.

beachdude42 and mattylikesfilms like this.
  6. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Thats exactly how I got into them! Back in my middle school days, I wanted to be just like Tom (lol) so I followed the Atticus line. Once they dropped that comp, I hit up the local Hot Topic to get it and was blown away by so many new (to me) artists. I still love that they put AM/PM by American Nightmare on.

beachdude42 and ChrisCantWrite like this.
  7. I just went back and listened to WIITB and SHTS and they're both average. Maybe they haven't aged well. There's obviously some nostalgia which makes them enjoyable, but for the most part I don't think they're that good.

8. Bane

The spiciest meme

I didn't get into Finch until around Back to Oblivion came out and think SHTS is great

beachdude42 likes this.
  9. beachdude

So the biggest thing that made me sad about Finch's breakup is that I'd never get to see a SHTS 10-year tour. I found out in talking to someone just a short while ago that they did exactly ONE SHTS 10-year show... last year... in Pomona, California when I was living a half hour away. This is going to make me sad for the rest of today at the very least.

10. airik625

Why would they have done more shows for a 10th Year Anniversary, but 11 years after?

beachdude42 likes this.
  11. beachdude

I just meant that I thought they had never done any sort of commemoration of the 10th anniversary at all, and I thought it was a wasted opportunity. Now I know that they did one lol.

airik625 likes this.
  12. airik625

oh okay I'm with you now. And yeah, I would have loved to have seen them live. I can't even imagine seeing Say Hello To Sunshine from start to finish.

beachdude42 likes this.
  13. beachdude

Yeah, I'm pretty shocked I missed that now. Ah well.

14. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I remember seeing it announced and I lived at LA at the time so I wish I went as well :tear:

beachdude42 likes this.
  15. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I relistened to their EP from 2008 this morning. It's the last truly great thing they did. It's a shame Back to Oblivion wasn't more like it... the production/mixing on BtO is so poor. Everything sounds so tinny, almost like the entire album was recorded inside a tin can.

beachdude42 likes this.
  16. Paul Beaumont

I feel like Deftones progressed more gradually, White Pony came after a full on "Nu Metal" album, one that stepped away a touch, and then into the Deftones we pretty much know today on their third. Even then it still had tracks that could have fit on their first. SHTS doesn't have a single track I could imagine on the debut, having said that I really still love it.

beachdude42 likes this.
  17. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Would not call Around the Fur a "full nu metal" album at all. It's not as nuanced as WP, but there are definitely elements suggesting they were about to come into their own on it.

beachdude42 likes this.
  18. Paul Beaumont

Possibly true, but to me it's not as if you'd listen to that and then not just imagine that they'll be touring with Soulfly and Limp Bizkit. White Pony was the first time they got to a point where I could see them outside of that scene.

19. JM95

Trusted

There are more songs on ATF outside nu metal then there are inside it.

beachdude42 and Cameron like this.
  20. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I agree with you on some songs like "Further From the Few" and the title track but there are a lot of songs that sound great like "Two Guns to the Temple", "Anywhere But Here", "Picasso Trigger", "Tarot", and "Inferium".

21. Letterbomb31 Nov 18, 2016
    (Last edited: Nov 18, 2016)
    Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

The songs themselves are actually really good imo, but the production/mixing destroys how great they could've been. "Inferium" in particular would've been so much better with punchier production.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  22. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

That's fair. Nothing will ever beat Letlive's Blackest Beautiful that sounds like dogshit or Senses Fail's The Fire for me lol.

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  23. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Nate's lyrics are amazing on Say Hello to Sunshine. "Reduced to Teeth" has some of my favourite lines ever:

Behind a mask, a man can bask only
    For so long before being exposed
    To the sun

The moon is up, a whisper of
    "'Till death do you wrong"
    Patients bother a patient doctor
    Plastics itch, and bandages the
    Aftermath won't add up to this.
    The fever breaks
    It would take a masochist
    To live like this

[...]

Chasing demons dressed like me
    Their eyes are not like mine
    Ignorance is divine
    Instincts are reduced to teeth
    That bite the hand that feeds
    Fear thy father love thy martyr

[...]

All the king's horses and all the king's
    Men have been sent to put this boy back
    Together again, but somehow, he must
    Have been predicting the fall

24. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Absolutely man. Nate's songwriting from WIITB to SHTS is an HUGE progression.

beachdude42 and Letterbomb31 like this.
  25. airik625

SHTS is one of my most played records in the last ten years.