Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Finch Call it Quits • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 19, 2016.

1. sayitaintjoe

This seems to have everything to do with that new band with Buddy. That's all that's on Finch's page now.

2. Davjs

Trusted

Yeah that's a shame now that we know that the Finch album was written and recorded for the most part, and how awesome is sounds. I love Buddy as a vocalist but to know that he now writes the music in SF and has his rotating band take a back seat, and now Finch as been abandoned it makes me feel like two great bands have suffered for this new project.

3. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

we'll see how long Speak the Truth lasts

4. scroopy.noopers

: (

Their new music was still seemed like an attempt to recreate WIITB which is why I see their reunion(s) as a nostalgia cash grab. The batch of demos after STHS were really good, but everything post-2007 has been trash (excluding these new demos since I haven't listened yet). Aside from my opinion on the sound of their music, they clearly are a dysfunctional group and should drop the project for good. It still bums me out because this band seemed to really mean a lot to Nate, and I've always loved him as a vocalist/performer.

5. sayitaintjoe

Man those 9 songs sounded AWESOME. Cheers to Nate for posting them.

mattylikesfilms and Davjs like this.
  6. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

All I gotta say is check out the demos. Extremely promising in my opinion.

Oh and you're right, they're dysfunctional as hell. Low key hoping Nate brings Cosmonaut back from the dead. Their song "Schitzoid Embolism" is fantastic. The end of that song, when Nate belts "IM NOT READY YETTTTT", gives me all types of feels/goosebumps.

7. Davjs

Trusted

Would anyone be against Nate carrying on Finch with a new band? They have switched Drummers and Bass players throughout right?

8. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Bummer, definitely one of my favorite bands growing up. I didn't love the last album, but there were definitely some great songs scattered throughout it.

9. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Super sad about it. Back to Oblivion was awesome.

10. angrycandy

the band released a statement too. this is really bitter.

11. kidinthebushes

Trusted

Within the last 10 years Finch has only released ONE full length album... That can’t be understated. In 2009, Nate walked away from an album and quit. Yesterday, Nate quit again, for the third time in the bands history (2004, 2009, & 2016). We all knew it was coming, it was not a shock. In 2015 we wrote a batch of songs, but did not have a completed album. We entered the studio with a producer friend of ours to work on some material that would complete the album and begin pre-production on the songs we already had. Nate was a no show for the majority of these sessions and chose to stop communicating with the band in January 2016. Throughout 2016 there have been tour offers we’ve had to pass on, festival appearances we’ve passed on because we were unable to reach Nate. I think it is important for Finch fans to know that we’ve always had the best intentions, we always strove to create the best songs we could, but you cannot control other peoples' behavior. Nate’s choice to quit again is disappointing, but not unexpected.

We’re really proud of the last two songs we recorded as a band. In Nate’s mind the stylistic change was enough to throw away his career. We just thought they were great Finch songs. We’ve posted both them on the Finch youtube channel, and hope you enjoy them.

Cheers everybody! We'll see y'all next year for the What It Is To Burn 15 year anniversary tour!

-Grizzly, Daniel, and Pappas

12. kidinthebushes

Trusted

So is this because Nate or R2K or both?

Neither of their names are included at the bottom of the letter.

13. Davjs

Trusted

Does the acoustic not count?

14. angrycandy

both left the band. just seems like it's not just Nate is difficult (which I fully believe he is).

15. kidinthebushes

Trusted

It seems odd to place all the blame on him if R2K left awhile ago.

angrycandy likes this.
  16. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

Not at all. I'll throw my name into the hat to take over on drums. I'll be, what, the fourth? Fine by me.

mattylikesfilms and Bryan Diem like this.
  17. Davjs

Trusted

I trust you on drums just by your profile pic alone.

18. angrycandy

agreed completely

19. carlosonthedrums Oct 20, 2016
    (Last edited: Oct 20, 2016)
    carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

Reading all these stories about headline gigs where the audience cleared out before Finch is heartbreaking. I remember watching a stream of Warped a couple years back and their set was pretty empty. Wasn't even that much of an early one either.

Dysfunction and all, these guys deserved better.

mattylikesfilms, Davjs and angrycandy like this.
  20. Davjs

Trusted

I can see why the band is frustrated though if they wanted to constantly write and play shows but were being sidelined by Nate. Seems like a more lowkey version of Blink and Tom.

kidinthebushes likes this.
  21. angrycandy

I think each member of the band wants something different from it now and they just can't get their shit together. Like I said, Nate is probably a little difficult but I'm sure they all can be. We don't really know what happened so it's hard for me to blame him

mattylikesfilms and Davjs like this.
  22. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Dang pretty sad to read the other guys story.

Only silver lining? Even more free Finch jams!

Davjs likes this.
  23. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Only time I saw finch was before yellowcard (went for Finch) and two seven foot tall dudebros were shoving people during WIITB songs and singing along, and booed during the rest. Sad

24. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Well the demos Nate released last night are far better than what Griz, Pappas, and Daniel gave. These sound like a continuation of the BTO sound which is fine but not even reaching the potential the band has. I'm sure Nate is difficult to deal with but he may have been right in clashing with the guys in direction. I'd rather hear a studio mastered version of PHANTASMA than these songs.
    I do really dig the BTO b-side "Black Roses" though. Reminds me of Smashing Pumpkins which is great.

Bryan Diem and angrycandy like this.
  25. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

This guy speaks from logic and sensical manner- I like it!

angrycandy likes this.