Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Final Fantasy Video Game • Page 97

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by aranea, Mar 15, 2016.

1. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

What classics are you going through

2. Fixed Glitch

AP Attitude Era Superstar Supporter

I’m replaying Rouge Galaxy right now. Might not be considered a classic, but I sure did love it.

I just found my old original guidebook for it too.

theagentcoma likes this.
  3. Noradrenaline

Regular

Just picked up my copy of the deluxe edition but I have to work for five more hours before I can go home and play. It will be almost midnight here by then. But, I took four days off over easter for this! Looking forward to finally binge this game :-)

4. Noradrenaline

Regular

My favourite Final Fantasy! How far along are you? I bought it on release day and I'm very nostalgic for it so I might be kinda biased in that regard. But I think you'll love the story and characters if you stick with it. There are some amazing set pieces in this game!

theagentcoma and tomdelonge like this.
  5. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I was watching Ben Hanson from MinnMax streaming a playthrough of the Midgar section from the original FFVII in anticipation of the remake's launch this week, and on the stream someone in his chat posed an interesting question:

Is your favorite Final Fantasy the first one you played?

Mine is not lol. My favorite is VI but the first one I played all the way through was the remake of Final Fantasy I on GBA.

ikanacanyon and theagentcoma like this.
  6. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

First one I played at all was VIII and it is not my favorite

First one I played all the way through is X and it is not my favorite

So my answer is a hard no haha

7. Noradrenaline

Regular

Nah. My first one was VII but I would place IX and X above it. I love every game from VII to X almost equally though. I would score them all either a 9 or a 10.

Though, I have to say that since I played VII all the way through last year, for the first time in maybe 15 years, I think I have to place it next to X as my second favourite. IX at the top and the X and VII.

theagentcoma and Anthony_ like this.
  8. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

What I do think is a good point related to that question though is that I certainly forgive a lot more flaws from FFs I played earlier on than I do ones I visited later

ikanacanyon, theagentcoma and Joe4th like this.
  9. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

FFX was the first I played to competition and was one of my first JRPGs, and it’s probably my favorite Final Fantasy honestly

10. Anthony_

I played FFVI for the first time on the GBA and it remains to this day one of the most thrilling gaming experiences I've ever had. I had already played FFI, FFII, FFIV, FFV, and FFX by the time I played it, and it topped all of them for me. Still also probably my second-favorite game of all time behind Chrono Trigger.

11. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I can't actually remember what my first one was but it was one of the GBA ones lol

theagentcoma likes this.
  12. tomdelonge

Trusted

Just started disc 3. I was probably being too critical before; if VI and VII are my 10's, this is like an 8.5 and climbing.

There are some absolutely amazing settings- Alexandria, Lindblum, Cleyra (!!), Maiden Sari (the first screen is so so so beautiful). Possibly the prettiest FF

Characterwise:

I wasn't gaga about Zidane at first with the whole suspect flirty thing, but as he grows and his kindness shows, I'm really liking that. And I do love a thief

Steiner was annoying and then I started to love him. Really good comic relief.

I loved Vivi and Garnet/Dagger from the get go. Vivi's especially (obviously). I think cuz I'm older it doesn't have quite the big emotional impact but I can imagine how close to home it woulda hit as a kid.

I hated Quina at first and then I loved Quina. Such a fun character.

Eiko and Amarant are welcome additions, but I haven't had them around long enough to really say. The whole dinner scene with Eiko had me laughing out loud like a fool.

I'm so sad to say I'm not super into Freya...I think it's her design? On paper the character is so cool. I love her attitude, her pathos, her simmering intensity, but I just can't get very excited. FF character rankings seem to confirm her unpopularity, but it's weird, I can't put my finger on what isn't working.

Anyway, the game rules. So happy to be playing it finally.

13. tomdelonge

Trusted

VI is probably one of my favorite works of fiction ever. Very timely these days too

14. tomdelonge

Trusted

Also i have a chrono trigger mug EAFA5A24-DB51-47B9-AFC1-98C09485819A.jpeg

15. Noradrenaline

Regular

This made me happy to read! Now I really want to play it again. It's been too long since I played past disc two. But first, the remake of VII!

theagentcoma likes this.
  16. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

First one I played was IV, deff not my favorite but still love the game. I don't think anyone would enjoy IV if they played it now for the first time.

VI is so damn close to my favorite next to VII. So close.

theagentcoma likes this.
  17. Anthony_

Disagree with this hard. That game definitely holds up. 16-bit JRPGs in general tend to hold up well, but that game especially has some really strong writing that makes it stand out. And the DS version is really cool in terms of updating the visuals if that's your thing, although I think I prefer the GBA version that I originally played.

theagentcoma likes this.
  18. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

DS version was fuckin hard

19. Anthony_

20. Anthony_

Wasn't the DS version of FFIV like re-tuned to make the game easier than it originally was?

21. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Ant, that game was hard as fuck. Look it up.

22. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

The first one I played was IV on the Final Fantasy Chronicles that came packaged with Chrono Trigger on the PS1. Not my favorite, but a close second behind IX. The music is some of my favorites in the series, including the battle and overworld themes.

Ok imma need you to tell me where I can buy one of those

Fucking Dustin and Anthony_ like this.
  23. Anthony_

I played through it! I don't remember it being harder than the GBA version lol

24. Anthony_

Oh I see, the FFIV DS version was tuned to the original Japanese release of FFIV, which was harder than the previously-available western versions. Surprising to read because I truly don't remember it being more difficult. I had a really good time with FFIV DS.

Would've been interested to see them give FFVI the same treatment.

oldjersey likes this.
  25. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

It was fun to have to grind real hard for a game I thought I could breeze through. I just remember certain boss battles getting completely dismantled.

Anthony_ likes this.