Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Film Photography • Page 3

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by screamoutmyname, Apr 5, 2016.

1. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

thank you!

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  2. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

3. sean_rugy

Found an Olympus Stylus Epic in PERFECT condition while I was on vacation in upstate NY last week for $5, excited to have a simple point and shoot now. Started an instagram if anyone wants to follow along as I learn this shit.

Sean Rugenstein (@sr.film) • Instagram photos and videos

4. coleslawed Aug 24, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 26, 2018)
    coleslawed

Eat Pizza

just got four rolls of film scans back from Indie Film Lab, one of which was my first roll of B&W since college. a good amount of those turned out wonderful, but I also did some "experimental" action ones at night that didn't turn out as nice. here are a few highlights straight off the scanner bed.

the North Shore of Lake Superior last February (Super Bowl weekend, actually).
    000078380003.jpg
    000078380005.jpg
    000078380009.jpg
    first day out wakesurfing early this summer
    000078380029.jpg
    000078380031.jpg
    000078380038.jpg

5. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Been pretty disappointing with what I've got back from my local camera shop in terms of their developing and scans (weird color distortions, inaccurate scans). Just tried TheDarkroom.com for the first time and super happy with their quality. First time shooting 3200 iso film, some shots came out SUPER grainy but gona kind of dig it. Gona try shooting at a lower iso and pushing it next time.

I have an instagram that I occasionally post some film photography, though it's mostly drawings @gravebug

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CarpetElf, coleslawed and sean_rugy like this.
  6. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

USPS lost 4 rolls of film I had sent in to be processed, 6 months worth of photos, and it makes me want to cry every time I think about it. I can’t imagine what someone would do if those had been images for clients.

7. sean_rugy

that's brutal, I'm sorry. where do you send your film too? that would be a huge fear of mine. I'm incredibly lucky to have a place within walking distance of me.

8. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I send in to Indie Film Lab, have just always loved how they process stuff. I could do it locally, too, just preferred their service. cheaper prices for processing + scanning, but paying for shipping probably does nullify that bit.

9. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

That sucks so hard, sorry. I also prefer to ship mine out, mostly because my local place consistently fucks me over. Last time I used them I dropped three rolls for develop and scan, they only partially scanned two of the rolls and they had massive scan lines. Never again. I’d rather pay an extra $5 and use The Darkroom.

10. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

finally got another set of rolls back. pretty good turnout, especially considering 2/4 rolls were shot on a malfunctioning camera. some of my faves that fit the upload size here:
    boatfilm-17.jpg campfilm-12.jpg campfilm-13.jpg

11. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

1/2 of this batch was shot on a cool little Nikon One-Touch I picked up this fall for $11 (the other half on an $8 Ricoh from GoodWill). it’s nice to have something small to walk around with instead of a full-body. also, I can let friends & my sister’s kids shoot a few frames and not have to worry about them getting the settings right.

12. AKali19

Your photos look great.

13. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Yoooooo you do film!?

14. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

i do it less often since getting my DSLR and in general I just shoot less but I have, yeah. I like my photos better on film but the price was also murder

do you?

coleslawed and CarpetElf like this.
  15. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I havent in a while but I used to a lot. I miss it

16. sean_rugy

welp, someone stole Olympus Stylus over the weekend with a full roll inside. I’m not happy.

Ken likes this.
  17. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

that really sucks, any chance of getting it back or is it long gone?

18. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

cameras can be replaced, but losing film just breaks my heart.

19. sean_rugy

it's long gone unfortunately, already on eBay looking for a replacement. but yeah, the missing role of film is what really hurts.

20. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

sorry it happened but glad you're keeping on!

21. coleslawed Jan 10, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 10, 2020)
    coleslawed

Eat Pizza

another round of B/W film back. two rolls of Kodak Tri-X (which I had brainfarted were black & white when purchasing) shot on an Olympus point & shoot, and one roll of Ilford HP on a Nikon SLR with a fast shutter speed but a faulty light meter. still pretty pleased with the results.
    1028C027-9CBC-4960-B4F3-E08AA9A7EB24.jpeg E9FF24C0-ECBD-4661-B0BD-01318DFFE956.jpeg 589AE7C0-05A8-48FD-A489-A9012A79525A.jpeg 2B39AEF2-1DAE-4DE0-8854-3FF7AA6AB69B.jpeg 3202F7BF-CA17-45C2-A10C-1FF81073FE90.jpeg

22. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

tried out some new film stock (Cinestill 800 Tungsten) and a new local lab. some cool images, some more meh, but not sure to blame the lab or the film. might send in the negatives to get re-scanned by my regular place (Indie Film Lab) to see if that makes a difference. the new lab also sent me full frame scans, instead of cropped images, which I'm undecided on whether I like or not.

this is one of my favorites on the new stock, a stormy night sky underlit by a bonfire with the full frame:

Cole Johnson_R4228-050-positive.jpg

23. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

a few more favorites cropped down:

benboat-4-1.jpg canoe-3-1.jpg home-1-1.jpg spensk8-1-2.jpg wild-1-1.jpg wild-2-2.jpg

sean_rugy and fastlife like this.
  24. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I think they look good

I'm still very much a novice when it comes to any of this, but I find when I scan my negatives myself and include the frame, then the image will always be a little more washed out/not as detailed as if I scan just the image portion. The software I use always starts with a preview scan, and then I highlight the portion I want to properly scan. So if I scan just the image, it'll be full color and detailed, if I include the frame, it washes it all out. That doesn't look like it's happening there, but it might change the look a bit if you try rescanning them?

coleslawed likes this.
  25. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

thanks!

it’s mostly the snow photos that are more washed out, and I think that might just be the film itself, which is movie film designed for use under tungsten lights, so outdoor shots don’t always turn out right.

good to know about the scanning, though.