Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Film Photography • Page 2

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by screamoutmyname, Apr 5, 2016.

1. screamoutmyname

are we having fun yet?

i recently took a look back through the New Topographics book (1975 collection) and immediately wanted to go out and shoot.
    New Topographics

so good.

2. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

people who can take interesting landscape shots have my respect. I think it's hard to make them feel dynamic, I hate doing landscape haha. Much prefer having people modeling some art idea one of us might have. Urban landscapes are dope though, compositions of those tend to be more interesting because the building gives you so many different ways to work (in ways I understand, too)

3. molassescookies

niceee, really love the top and bottom ones

4. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

just got a few rolls back. two from a snowboard event this winter, one from late summer/early fall, and one that was a mystery and turned out to be mostly wrecked.
    000038030023.jpg 000038050024.jpg 000038050010.jpg 000038060026.jpg 000038060029.jpg 000038040006.jpg

5. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Hey tight. They all turned out nice. Developed them yourself?

6. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I send them in to IndieFilmLab, they develop and scan for $11 a roll, which is a little high, but about the same as you'll find elsewhere.

7. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Yeah developing color in high school was murder on my wallet. I preferred black and white cause I could do that myself. Color always had such a wider range of mood though

8. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

i really need to dust off my 35mm. its been a hot minute since ive shot film.

coleslawed likes this.
  9. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

about to buy one of those instax cameras, the real basic ones before i think about dropping money on the lomography wide format one. i like the idea of it i guess, which is the only reason im doing it, really. think it might help me get better at some stuff too, like composing on the fly

10. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

anyone ever shoot film at concerts? have any tips?
    a friend may be able to get me a photo pass for Noah Gundersen’s upcoming show, and I’m looking to up my game there. I did a few back in school, but that was always just as a spectator, so I wasn’t super close, and also was pretty clueless on what film to use.

11. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

All Get Out/La Dispute back in 2011, probably on cheap kodak 400

12. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Are you using a flash? I'd use film with a speed of ASA 800 or more because it'll be dark if it's a club show. But remember the higher the ASA, the grainier the photos will be, but I personally like that vibe that it gives

13. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

yeah, definitely going with higher ISO. i don’t usually run flash, especially at concerts.
    thinking of going one camera with B/W (HP5 or IP4+) and one with color (superia? or cinestill would probably be rad, but $$$), or just a couple rolls of each and then alternate each roll.

14. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Sounds like kind of a hassle either way, unless you're just a wizard at loading your film in while dealing w a crowd. I'd do one camera tho. No need to risk both in that environment

15. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I’m fairly sure there’ll be a press pit, but yeah, two cameras might be a little much. i’ll try to shoot 2 rolls, though, just to be safe, so might as well mix it up.

16. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

sounds like a plan. don't forget to post some here!

coleslawed likes this.
  17. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

hey! my girlfriend got me Minolta xg-9 for Christmas and I'm really enjoying learning about film photography and experimenting. any good beginner videos or websites out there that will show me the ropes?

coleslawed likes this.
  18. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I don't have anything in terms of resources to point you towards, but in the beginning I'd take risks with your photos -- learn the basics of the camera, try to keep your settings in mind (don't do automatic in the beginning, imo) and learn from the mistakes or the unexpected. I feel like since film itself is fairly costly people are hesitant to take those kinds of risks with film but it helped me a lot, personally

sean_rugy likes this.
  19. sean_rugy

Thank you! I stocked up on relatively cheap film to start out with and have just been shooting everything to see what works and what doesn't. Can't wait for warmer (sunnier) weather to just get out and experiment.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  20. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Sounds like an excellent start. And actually, taking photos outside is great for understanding light and iso/asa despite how dreary it might be. Outside will just always have more light, and doing shit at night will definitely also help since that's a little trickier. Show us some of your stuff when you can!

sean_rugy likes this.
  21. sean_rugy

Dropped 3 rolls off last night! If anything looks halfway decent I'll be sure to share.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  22. sean_rugy

some shots I took on a hike around the family’s maple farm a couple weekends ago. pretty happy with how some of them turned out, here are some favorites!

EC228AC1-E4EF-4C3E-B053-934787F8C765.jpeg

B05775A8-BE99-4167-A49F-B8DF0D0311C1.jpeg

7225CA9A-935C-47F1-A9C5-F81FA83F1A38.jpeg

23. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

those turned out really well! just wait on the next big emo band to hit you up haha. you've got a cool eye for composition too

24. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

have always been pretty interested in this but scared to take the jump. anyone have recommendations for nice beginner film cameras?

25. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

6 Best 35mm Film Cameras For Beginners

i personally started out with the canon ae 1 program and i still love it. i've used three of the cameras on the list and know they're great so i think you can't go wrong with any of them. highly recommend the canon though

coleslawed and primavera like this.