Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Film Photography

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by screamoutmyname, Apr 5, 2016.

1. screamoutmyname

are we having fun yet?

Discuss all things film photography.

2. screamoutmyname

are we having fun yet?

or don't. that's cool too!

Jude Law likes this.
  3. fastlife

Regular Supporter

I'm interested in film photography but sorta intimidated by it. I'm so used to seeing (and deleting) photos on digital cameras immediately and knowing I can fix my settings if I have to, the finality of film seems daunting.

4. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

5. Charlie Joseph

Your friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man... Prestigious

I mostly shoot on film, it's fun. I've got like 10 rolls cause my battery died on me in Iceland but no shops were open. But yeah. Super fun.

6. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

sub

7. screamoutmyname

are we having fun yet?

8. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I haven't shot on film in forever and it makes me sad. When I did I mostly did landscapes and then more abstract stuff mixing things like solarization, double negatives, stencils, and chemical painting.

9. screamoutmyname

are we having fun yet?

i've messed around with destroying film by soaking it in windex and things like that, but i'll have to check out some of those other processes

10. Sometimes when going on road trips I'll buy a disposable camera. But for a period of time I had a Pentax K1000 that my dad had given me. I later sold it to a friend so she could use it for her college photography class. This was one of my favorite photos I had taken with it using B&W film.

Amanda.jpg

11. It's a bit daunting but fun to learn once you get the basics down. :-)

12. screamoutmyname

are we having fun yet?

mad and ianebaldwin like this.
  13. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I'm into this, subbing.

14. screamoutmyname

are we having fun yet?

what's everyone's favorite film? i've been shooting a ton of kodak gold lately, and it's so simple... but it looks great.

15. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I was always partial to Ilford or Arista film. I refused to use anything outside of Ilford Pearl paper though. Such a clean look to it, never ran into any stupid little problems with the paper, and it keeps so well.

16. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Shitty quality but my scanner doesn't work and they're matted and hung on my wall.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mad likes this.
  17. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I started my photography with film, used a Canon AE-1 Program. Haven't done it in a minute because part of the convenience of it all was having a dark room at my high school and getting my film developed at a pharmacy was getting expensive. I ended up getting a DSLR as a result, but I think I was a better photographer with film; I had to think about what i was doing more. Thinking about getting back to it.

18. ForestOfAllusion

Old Aesthetic Prestigious

I can post some of my works later today. Use a Pentax. Been working at my dark room for about two years aquiring things here and there. Moving into a new place this fall and will be looking for a place that will accommodate my needs, for that.

19. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I've been kicking around the idea of making my own dark room, but I'm in college right now, so I'm basically moving every year. Not the best time, but I'm still thinking maybe something simple.

20. T.K.

Prestigious Browser Prestigious

So I don't really know anything about photography, but wanted to see what people thought of this camera or if you guys would have any similar cameras you'd recommend?

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS100
    https://amzn.com/B010NU5AX8

21. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I don't know a ton about non SLR cameras, but I would find out how much the settings and photos can be manipulated in that camera and how much of those features you want out of it before buying it. Looks like it's p high end point and shoot and that it yields good photos though, but it also looks pricey to me. I do want to reiterate i don't know a ton about non SLR cameras.

22. screamoutmyname

are we having fun yet?

i have an Olympus Stylus... not sure how important zooming is to you, but if you can find one with a fixed lens, it'll greatly improve the quality of the shots.

saturdaysaviour likes this.
  23. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Shooting a 16mm film on a bolex pretty soon here for an Experimental Film class.

Also making a cameraless film by scratching, painting, drawing, etc. on the film.

24. thesoftskeleton Sep 12, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 12, 2016)
    thesoftskeleton

Trusted

Im really bad about scanning in my photos so i have a bunch sitting around but not to many on the computer. a few i was able to find.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CarpetElf, mad, DarkHotline and 5 others like this.
  25. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

the bottom two and the floral one are especially cool to me, I like your use of blurring a lot